QUARTERBACK PLAY

I think that Tommy and Johnny have the potential to be very good. That being said, who is going to guide them to greatness? Do you believe that we have some people on staff that are capable of developing a championship/NFL QB?

Tim Beck is not a quarterbacks coach. RK3 is going to be a GA next year.

No one on staff has directly overseen the development of a big time QB. Taylor was great and he put up some very impressive numbers, rewrote the record book, but we all know what his career was missing.

Ron worked hard, paid his dues and got his much-deserved chance last year.Tommy still beat him for the starting spot, though. So now Ron is going to be coaching the guy whom he could not beat out? I just do not get what Kellogg could teach Armstrong.

How do we develop a championship QB if no one on staff has ever coached one or been one?

It's a team game blah blah blah but quarterback is the most important position.

gonna be a long offseason

Ron was a cool customer, a leader in the locker room, knew his playbook, and is smart. I bet he will continue to be a great influence on Armstrong, Stanton, and anyone else who he works with.

As far as developing specific skills, T-Mart had to go to a private coach for help, hopefully our guys will have similar opportunities. As far as getting to a championship level, yes we do need a boost at the quarterback position (starting with ball security and sound decision-making), but there is so much more than just the QB position holding us back from championships.

I think that Tommy and Johnny have the potential to be very good. That being said, who is going to guide them to greatness? Do you believe that we have some people on staff that are capable of developing a championship/NFL QB?

No one on staff has directly overseen the development of a big time QB. Taylor was great and he put up some very impressive numbers, rewrote the record book, but we all know what his career was missing.

Ron worked hard, paid his dues and got his much-deserved chance last year.Tommy still beat him for the starting spot, though. So now Ron is going to be coaching the guy whom he could not beat out? I just do not get what Kellogg could teach Armstrong.

How do we develop a championship QB if no one on staff has ever coached one or been one?

well this is what you get when you hire your friends with no experience.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Ron will be a huge asset when it comes to the playbook, and the mental aspect of the game. I think with Taylor A LOT of people had issue with his mechanics, and the lack of coaching in regards to that. I'd tend to agree we lack the coaching to make someone much more mechanically sound as a QB. Ron won't help much at all with that.

I'd say both Stanton and Armstrong are ahead of even a senior Martinez from that standpoint though, so I'm not too worried there. Which would you rather have...a QB with great footwork and a perfect throwing motion, or someone that knows the playbook inside and out? I think in college you're rarely going to get both, and when having to chose you're going to go with the latter. In that case, Ron should bring a lot to the table.

Ron was a cool customer, a leader in the locker room, knew his playbook, and is smart. I bet he will continue to be a great influence on Armstrong, Stanton, and anyone else who he works with.

As far as developing specific skills, T-Mart had to go to a private coach for help, hopefully our guys will have similar opportunities. As far as getting to a championship level, yes we do need a boost at the quarterback position (starting with ball security and sound decision-making), but there is so much more than just the QB position holding us back from championships.

Many college QB's do this.

A QB that knows how to read a defense and audible accordingly would be a great help to this offense. When you have a QB that has to devote so much time to throwing motion, footwork, and basic mechanics of being QB, well that QB has less time to focus on the mental aspect of the game. Now, when you have a QB that has all the mechanics of a QB already in his arsenal, then that QB gets to focus on the mental part. Reading defenses, knowing when to audible, recognizing pressure, and a huge thing this offense has been lacking....TIMING!

Armstrong will be the next great Husker QB and will make Beck look like a genius next year. IMO.

Who says we need a NFL caliber QB to win a championship?

It helps.

Consistent QB play is crucial in winning championships. There is no arguing against it.

This obviously does not tell the whole story, but as an example look at FSU this year. Jimbo Fisher has been coaching QB's for 20 years. Malzahn is a QB guy. Dr. Tom hired Gill, his best QB he had ever had at the time, to help develop QB's. Urban Meyer is a QB guy. I know there are plenty of counter arguments to this, but that does not mean that we would not benefit having the insight of a REAL successful former QB, or QB coach on staff.

I mean, come on. We can do better than Ron.

well this is what you get when you hire your friends with no experience.

you are quite correct. The NU staff is a very limited staff in terms of what it can successfully do. It is not an experienced staff with proven excellence elsewhere at their coaching positions. It is a staff (all the way up to and including the head coach) that is a work in progress, learn as you go, try to figure it out type of staff which has many limitations still. One of them is what you mention... no one to develop well a QB. That does not mean that none of our QB's can end up playing well... they can. But being "coached up" and getting the maximum from their talent is pretty unlikely with this staff. Still...

one of these guys may end up pretty good --- Armstrong, Stanton, or Darlington. If so... they will do so largely on their own. maybe outside coaching (the likes of which Tmart received) will be possible. Who knows? Hopefully, we get some quality QB play.

Nebraska doesn't need an NFL caliber QB to win a championship it needs an elite QB to take that next step. It needs a QB with that "It factor". It needs one that in a big game can put his team on his back and perform at a high level and will his teammates to a greater performance than they may know they are capable of doing.

Whether that person is Armstrong/Stanton/Darlington I don't know or care, just as long as it is one of them. I have my doubts it is Armstrong just from watching him perform last year at times. His is good, but I don't know if he is great.

Turner Gill/Tommie Frazier had it from the get go, you could tell. I thought Martinez did up until he got hurt against Missouri. He never was quite the same. Bobby Newcomb was exactly the same way. He never was the same after his injury.

Some of you seem to think it is a coaching problem if they can't turn a QB into something special. That is just not the case. The intangibles have to be there in the first place to be a great QB.

Do you think Kevin Sumlin taught Johnny Football to play like that or Jamise Winston has all that poise because of something that Jimbo Fisher did? Those kids were born that way.

A coach can work on enhancing and refining what is there, but they real great ones already have it.

• Fire 2