Wisconsin

Like Bucky pointed out, Wisconsin has quite a few "rivalries" in basketball. Minnesota, Marquette (that one is like Nebraska's rivalry with Creighton, I think). We also have interesting rivalries with Michigan State and Ohio State. I will say that right now there's not a B1G team I hate more than Iowa. I can't stand Fran and his roster of punks.

I like your coach a lot and I've actually been cheering for Nebraska to get a tournament bid. But I hope you do it without a win over us, because I badly want a one seed for UW.

I want a one seed too but I'm not sure we can get it. We would have to beat Nebraska, do well in the Big Ten tourney and have some other teams lose. We're just on the outside of that window trying to claw in. Those five mid-season losses are hurting us but we had a terrific start and we're hot right now, beating Florida is a huge credit too so I hope they continue to do well.

I think two more wins should do it. Kansas could give the Badgers a helping hand by losing to West Virginia this weekend. That would also give UW's RPI a bit of a boost.

Like Bucky pointed out, Wisconsin has quite a few "rivalries" in basketball. Minnesota, Marquette (that one is like Nebraska's rivalry with Creighton, I think). We also have interesting rivalries with Michigan State and Ohio State. I will say that right now there's not a B1G team I hate more than Iowa. I can't stand Fran and his roster of punks.

I like your coach a lot and I've actually been cheering for Nebraska to get a tournament bid. But I hope you do it without a win over us, because I badly want a one seed for UW.

I understand you not liking Iowa and some of the things that have happened lately, however, don't let the actions of a couple people (Fran going crazy all the time, and McCabe last night) shape your opinion of the whole team. One of my best friends, Mike Gesell, is the point guard on that team and the kid has more character and class then anyone I have ever met

If Gesell had just a wee bit more character, he could have been a Husker...... :rolleyes:

Is it weird that I already have those pregame jitters and we're still over a day away from this game?

That's a fantastic thing.

It just feels like there is this legion of success-starved fans that finally have something grasp onto that hasn't been there in eons. With the right coach (Miles), we really could become a basketball school too. I have faith that this time it is different. Win or lose on Sunday, this program is on the rise.

But the thing about rivalries is that they must be mutually accepted. You can't just insert yourself in and proclaim to be another school's rival. That's what you tried to do with Iowa and it flopped.

Enjoy the atmosphere that comes with two successful teams meeting for a significant outcome and your team being one of them! That's all that this is- though in the Big Ten it happens in great frequency as we are a great basketball conference top-to-bottom.. Wisconsin is quite used to participating in such meetings year in and year out, and therefore we cannot reciprocate the necessary other half needed to commence a true rivalry.

Yet.

Check back in 10 years and if the games continue to be yearly ranked match-ups and the series evens out, THEN we'll see about a rivalry. For now, Nebraska is having a nice season after a long, dry history. It is fun either way! Just don't get ahead of yourself with the excitement haha.

That's true. Bo Ryan is getting a little long in the tooth, so Wisconsin might fall from relevance after a coaching change in the not so distant future anyway. Nebraska might also get the cheaps and let Miles slip away instead of applying the golden handcuffs. Enjoy tonight's game for what it is.

1. We won an NC before Bo. We had a final four before Bo. He's been an outstanding coach but we'll be fine when he decides to retire. I trust Alvarez, assuming he still is AD at that point, to make another great coaching hire for what is already a perennially great basketball program.

2. We've had plenty of big games in tougher environments and scenarios than this. I doubt Bo is selling the "we can get a #1 seed" angle because a. It isn't a sure thing b. it doesn't matter too terribly much and c. it's distracting.

3. The rivalry thing, it isn't a "rivalry" yet, at least not on the level that Nebraska had with OU or that we've had with Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan State or Ohio State. Whichever way this game goes I think it will move us in the direction of a rivalry but there's still pretty far to go. Years and years of tough games and screwing each other over. That's what it will take. I can see it happening but let's not force things.

Don't be so sure about #1. Allow me to use the same logic: "We had a great football coach before Osborne. We won national championships immediately before Osborne. When he steps down, I trust Osborne to make a great coaching hire for what is already perennially a great football program."

Success can go away as quickly as it came. Enjoy it while you have it and never think that it is your God-given right, or you may find yourself eating a lot of humble pie like many of us already have done.