Coach Pelini Extension

The extension was needed but it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'd guess that if HP is still here at the end of next season without announcing his retirement Bo is gone unless something changes. If he comes up 8-5 he'll be shown the door. If he runs 10-2 he'll move on to a different gig. I know he wants to be at NU but neither he nor Miles were part of HP's plans going into last fall and these seasons were suppose to be deal breakers for both of them. One had help from outside influences to stay and the other one put together a dream season.

And this, if true, is my gripe-and what should be an obvious one-on Perlman. Just get the hell out of the AD.

His ax to grind with Bo has been festering for a long while. The Miles one would be the baffling one for me.

And it is curious why he does meddle like he does.

Other scenarios do exist where a successful coaching search is carried out. There are just few examples of this being done when a 9 win coach is shown the door......as has been discussed a time or ten.

If NU had lost the Gator Bowl, would have wanted Bo replaced? Or even been ok with it? Or is the number 9 that talismanic?

Idk, why don't you ask college coaches who feel that winning 9/10 games per year is pretty successful.

I find it funny that the #9whiners complain out of one side of their mouth that Bo has let this program slide into the depths of hell and into national irrelevance, yet out of the other side of their mouths they insist that we could can Bo and have enough national cache to hire the next coming of Nick Saban.

#Irony

No straw here, this is pretty much EXACTLY what the Bo-leavers tell us any chance they can.

No response to this either.

#Truth

You honestly think Bo is the best Nebraska can do? I mean, that's the very definition of settling. Something that this university wasn't exactly known for for several decades.

Is Bo the best we can do? Hypothetically, no. Realistically, possibly. I'm still waiting for that realistic replacement who would be better.

I guess we did settle for #9/10 wins with Dr. Tom for quite some time, but then again the entitled fans almost ran him out of town, too.

#3 MNCs

The extension was needed but it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'd guess that if HP is still here at the end of next season without announcing his retirement Bo is gone unless something changes. If he comes up 8-5 he'll be shown the door. If he runs 10-2 he'll move on to a different gig. I know he wants to be at NU but neither he nor Miles were part of HP's plans going into last fall and these seasons were suppose to be deal breakers for both of them. One had help from outside influences to stay and the other one put together a dream season.

And this, if true, is my gripe-and what should be an obvious one-on Perlman. Just get the hell out of the AD.

His ax to grind with Bo has been festering for a long while. The Miles one would be the baffling one for me.

I agree with you on this, this simple answers are that he has an ego and wants the spotlight over Dr. Tom, and because he sees athletics as a necessary evil that drags academics down.

I agree with you on this, this simple answers are that he has an ego and wants the spotlight over Dr. Tom, and because he sees athletics as a necessary evil that drags academics down.

Simple yes, real answers, probably not.

i always saw it that he knows that athletics are so important to academics that he feels compelled to meddle. i mean, he brought tommy lee to campus and it was no coincidence that it was during some of the worst football years in over 50 years. iirc, i believe enrollment was down and he was desperate to bring attention to the school.

i always saw it that he knows that athletics are so important to academics that he feels compelled to meddle. i mean, he brought tommy lee to campus and it was no coincidence that it was during some of the worst football years in over 50 years. iirc, i believe enrollment was down and he was desperate to bring attention to the school.

Possibly, but I look back to a few things, the SE announcement, how Harv mentioned that he wishes he would have been taking about academics not athletics (iirc) , him not allowing Dr. Tom to have input in the hiring of the AD after saying he would, and how TO retired sooner than he wanted following the announcement of SE being chosen as AD.

That and I've listened to what some former players have said, and I don't find much positive about Harv.

Completely true. However, lets play devil's advocate. How many schools have fired a coach winning .700 or better, and had an immediate upgrade?

Ohio State did get upgrades after firing Woody Hayes and John Cooper, although each were fired for different reasons. (Earl Bruce didn't win national championships like Hayes, but his first season was 11-1 and into the Rose Bowl, with a slightly better overall percentage than Hayes)

That's an interesting trivia question, I'm sure there aren't many schools who have fired a .700 coach at all. It would be interesting to see the reasons why. But like Ohio State, when it has happened, they are a heavyweight school with the resources to find a top-shelf replacement.

Is Nebraska that kind of school? Right now, Pelini kind of seems like John Cooper, a good coach with a good win percentage but can't quite get to where we want to go. At times, Pelini has acted like Woody Hayes, with the Iowa game being dangerously close...

It seems that 74Hunter's argument is that we are not the kind of school that can come up with a better replacement. His philosophy is that we better be happy with a John Cooper, while others of us hope that he doesn't turn into Woody Hayes.

I don't totally disagree with that philosophy...who knows what we'd actually be facing if we had to replace Pelini. But it's not wrong to want something better, whether you want a better performance than Cooper or a better temperament than Hayes, being fans of Nebraska certainly has entitled us to a different expectation of what excellence means.

• Fire 1

There is a smear campaign out on Harvey, Eichorst, really any target of convenience, to take the heat off Bo.

Yeah, it's a total smear campaign that Harvey oversaw:

The firing of a 9 win coach that made NU the laughing stock of CFB (something we're still reaping "benefits" from)

A bungled coaching search that resulted in his AD hired the coach of "the dumbest team in America"

His AD running off every important letterman and coach in the history of the program

Extended the contracts of both that AD and his coaching pick while giving them raises only to fire them 6 months later (or be fired himself)

NU getting kicked out of the AAU

Making Nebraska look like ancient fools while pining for the status quo of the BCS...

Pissed off the boosters

Backstabbed the greatest coach (now AD) in school history while finding his replacement without input (which was promised)

etc, etc...

It's totes on the smear campaign, and nothing because of Perlman's doing.

695.gif

• Fire 1

Pretty sure Harv's past record of experience from an athletics standpoint gives any fan plenty of ammo to be able to say "get the hell out of here. We got this."

Some day, Tom Osborne is not gonna be around to change Perlman's diapers for him, so I suggest he let Eichorst or whoever just to the job. And hopefully Shawn isnt the second coming of _____________ (I wont say the name).