Coach Pelini Extension

...and I take that less as an observation of how fairweather, bad, or unworthy Husker fans are, and more as an indication that fan enthusiasm - Nebraska football's most prized asset - was left to wither last season. I think that sums up the crux of a lot of our concerns with Bo, and it's not entirely unreasonable, no?

Iowa has fans?

They do. Lots of them were able to buy tickets to Memorial Stadium so they could see their team embarrass ours because our fans decided that game wasn't worth going to.

Fairweather fans indeed.

Let's not forget that what Polo said is not at all true.

Which part, about the Iowa fans buying tons of tickets to this year's game? That's entirely true. There were as many Iowa fans there as I've seen from any opponent in years. Those seats they were in were sold by Husker fans who didn't attend.

So..... was Bo right?

...and I take that less as an observation of how fairweather, bad, or unworthy Husker fans are, and more as an indication that fan enthusiasm - Nebraska football's most prized asset - was left to wither last season. I think that sums up the crux of a lot of our concerns with Bo, and it's not entirely unreasonable, no?

Lack of enthusiasm is directly tied to being a fairweather fan(atic).

There is no place like Nebraska,

Where they're all true blue.

We'll all stick together,

In all kinds of weather,

For dear old Nebraska U.

Seems fairly straightforward to me.

Lack of enthusiasm is directly tied to being a fairweather fan(atic).

Not even Nebraskans owe it to the football program to be enthusiastic. Bo is not, shall we say, entitled to that.

Nebraska's fan support wouldn't have ever gotten to what it is today without decades of excellence in winning and character, on and off the field. The fact that this is an asset to the university, not an obligation, those are Tom Osborne's words. The football coach is in charge of protecting, cultivating, and growing that asset. He can lose it, too. Not as easily as most places; this is Nebraska, after all. But that doesn't mean it's to be taken for granted.

Two of Stewart Mandel's nine answered letters were about Bo Pelini's contract extension in the latest Mailbag.

Stewart, with everything you've written about Bo Pelini and Nebraska recently, you've got to be surprised by the news of Pelini's contract extension, right?

-- Steve, Strongsville, Ohio

No, not really. He got a one-year extension, the bare minimum show of confidence an athletic director can offer. It was probably necessary to reassure recruits. But good for Pelini. He could use a little love right now, as Tim Miles' Nebrasketball is the hottest show in town.

The Bo Pelini contract extension. Five words. Go.

-- James, Asheville, N.C.

Five more years of @FauxPelini!

Neither from Nebraska. Confirms what I have experienced here in California: no one outside Nebraska fans can believe he's still coaching here.

Anecdotal evidence is all I need to make an uninformed opinion.

how much does it take before it's not longer anecdotal? if 80% of the 10 people I speak to about the subject in a given month express similar opinions, is it anecdotal? -- and I'm in Minneapolis this week...so I've gotten a B1G perspective of the situation finally...and it matches my experience in KC exactly.

10 people? Not really a good sample size. If you'd like I can go out here in Springfield, MO and get results that contradict you by just asking 10 people.

I'd like to know where you're stories are coming from then. Church? Family gatherings with other Husker fans? Drive over to Callahan's for the first game, and hang out with the 100 or so Husker fans there. Your "experiences" will quickly line up more closely with mine. And that's in a loaded environment. Go to Johnny's or Tanners wearing Husker gear.

What you are saying is you are skewing the samples and proving we can't rely on your "experiences"

Look. A lot of people outside of Nebraska think Bo's a dickwad. I get it. Most do. It is what it is. But the real issue should be whether or not their opinions matter. And they dont. Why dont they? Because Saban acts just as bad if not worse, on a more consistent basis. But he wins, so it's ok for him. If that's the standard of which nicey nicey or meany-head is determined as good or bad, then it really doesnt matter the least bit how Bo is perceived. If he wins the the Big 10 this year, he'll be cool as sh#t all a sudden to ALL Husker fans, but will still be viewed a dick on the national level. So who gives a damn. It's the least of our worries.

• Fire 2

Look. A lot of people outside of Nebraska think Bo's a dickwad. I get it. Most do. It is what it is. But the real issue should be whether or not their opinions matter. And they dont. Why dont they? Because Saban acts just as bad if not worse, on a more consistent basis. But he wins, so it's ok for him. If that's the standard of which nicey nicey or meany-head is determined as good or bad, then it really doesnt matter the least bit how Bo is perceived. If he wins the the Big 10 this year, he'll be cool as sh#t all a sudden to ALL Husker fans, but will still be viewed a dick on the national level. So who gives a damn. It's the least of our worries.

People outside of Nebraska get the perception of Pelini through watching ESPN and affiliates and their cameras that are all but stuck up Bo's ass through the whole game. You are absolutely correct about Saban and his antics, same can be said about Brian Kelly.