2014 NFL Free Agency

zoogs

Whew. Pats have re-signed WR Julian Edelman.

Surprisingly to me, they signed another CB to a solid contract: 6'4-220lb Brandon Bowner from the Seattle Seahawks to a 3-year, $17 million deal. That seems a pretty sizable commitment to a group that includes Revis (1 year, $12 million) and Kyle Arrington, currently in the midst of a 4-year, $16 million contract. But they do have the luxury (for now) of Alfonzo Dennard and Logan Ryan on rookie contracts. Those five make this a very strong-looking group.

Other needs remain. Last year's starting center Ryan Wendell is still on the open market, as is a core rotation LB/special teams guy who may end up elsewhere in Dane Fletcher. I think they're still going to have to add layers to the WR group as well as TE, with the former more likely to come via free agency and the latter via draft. Not sure how much room the Pats have to spend at this point, but if they are parting ways with Wilfork, that'll provide a significant flow of cash, while simultaneously gashing a huge hole into the heart of the team.

I'm thinking it is time to get rid McKenzie. Some of the dumbest managerial decisions I've seen a while.

McKenzie is their recent, new GM, right? When he arrived and the Raiders bit the cap bullet, I thought, "Finally, they're getting a smart guy who knows how to take the responsible steps to right the ship." Now it's looking more like a gunshy, CYA move that put off the real responsibilities for a few years, and they're still an organization not ready to hang with the big leagues. Don't know though, I suppose they have signed some guys that fans are feeling happy about.

• 2 weeks later...