Spring/Offseason Football topics.

Since a lot of interesting topics are hard to come by during the offseason I would like to get your take on what your personal philosophy is offensively in football.

If you were a coach or ARE a coach, what offense/defense would you run? On offense are you a man blocking scheme, or a gap/zone blocking scheme? On defense do you like to attack gaps or play 2 gaps to let your linebackers be free? You can go into as much detail as you want all the way down to ideal size of your receivers, qb, rb's, defenders, etc...

Lets talk scheme! Go!

Since a lot of interesting topics are hard to come by during the offseason I would like to get your take on what your personal philosophy is offensively in football.

If you were a coach or ARE a coach, what offense/defense would you run? On offense are you a man blocking scheme, or a gap/zone blocking scheme? On defense do you like to attack gaps or play 2 gaps to let your linebackers be free? You can go into as much detail as you want all the way down to ideal size of your receivers, qb, rb's, defenders, etc...

Lets talk scheme! Go!

Something along the lines of Stanford. In general, there are a few things you know going in as a coach.

One of them is that you aren't going to end up with a polished passing QB very often. So you need to compensate for that with a power running game and short, efficient passing game. This involves a heavy reliance on cross routes, TE's, and screen passes. Easy little dink-a-dunk type passes. How we get there, zone-read, spread, etc...I don't care.

Another is that the team that's better in the trenches will usually win. I would concentrate coaching and recruiting around these lines. A lot of it has to do with the above problem. A good DL can cause even a good QB to be terrible. See Pelini's QB graveyard thread. It's harder to fluster Tom Brady, or contain Cam Newton. But you only face a Brady or Newton once every 4-5 years, or someone even within reach of those two once a year.

Field position wins games. The offense and defense needs to function as a single unit with the common goal of winning field position fist, and the kicking game and special teams has to be a priority in this.

Those are the "themes" I'd stress. Compensate for a lack of talent under center with a power running game, win in the trenches, dominate field position with special teams and proper playcalling on both sides of the ball.

• Fire 1

If I am coaching HS football I would run the spread veer out of the pistol just like we used to run when I was an assistant. It was the best of both worlds option and power with passing elements if need be.

Defensively in HS the simpler the better, something that attacks the LOS. We ran a 3-5 we got from Jenks HS in Oklahoma. It was a very high risk high reward defense, but helps level the playing field when you don't have huge linemen. The front 8 is attacking downhill all the time. Lots of sacks, fumbles and INTs but you also will give up at least one big play a game with it. This defense would never work in college.

If I am coaching HS football I would run the spread veer out of the pistol just like we used to run when I was an assistant. It was the best of both worlds option and power with passing elements if need be.

Defensively in HS the simpler the better, something that attacks the LOS. We ran a 3-5 we got from Jenks HS in Oklahoma. It was a very high risk high reward defense, but helps level the playing field when you don't have huge linemen. The front 8 is attacking downhill all the time. Lots of sacks, fumbles and INTs but you also will give up at least one big play a game with it. This defense would never work in college.

Its interesting you bring up the 3-5. As we had ran that the first 3 years I was at the school I'm at as an assistant. We got a new guy in this year and now run the 6-2. It took me 3 years just to learn the 3-5 (mostly terminology) but after 1 year in the 6-2 and how much better we were defensively, I would have to say it was a good move, although I was becoming quite fond of the 3-5 as well.

Its interesting you bring up the 3-5. As we had ran that the first 3 years I was at the school I'm at as an assistant. We got a new guy in this year and now run the 6-2. It took me 3 years just to learn the 3-5 (mostly terminology) but after 1 year in the 6-2 and how much better we were defensively, I would have to say it was a good move, although I was becoming quite fond of the 3-5 as well.

It depends on how you run the 3-5, are linemen did not occupy a man their job was to get into a gap and cause problems in the backfield at 1.5 yard depth. At least 2 of the 5 Lbs were blitzing every down. We wanted confusion and for the most part it worked very well. We used to run a gap control 6-2 it had much more difficult terminology and reads than our 3-5 had.

The funning thing is that the defense is all about the players reading the alignment the offense is in and that told them when to go or not to go. Our DC didn't like this because he had less control over what was going on so he put some of the 6-2 principles back into the scheme and started making more of the stunt calls himself.

• Fire 1

It depends on how you run the 3-5, are linemen did not occupy a man their job was to get into a gap and cause problems in the backfield at 1.5 yard depth. At least 2 of the 5 Lbs were blitzing every down. We wanted confusion and for the most part it worked very well. We used to run a gap control 6-2 it had much more difficult terminology and reads than our 3-5 had.

The funning thing is that the defense is all about the players reading the alignment the offense is in and that told them when to go or not to go. Our DC didn't like this because he had less control over what was going on so he put some of the 6-2 principles back into the scheme and started making more of the stunt calls himself.

Good stuff! When we ran the 3-5 we also had someone blitzing every down but our d linemen were taught to occupy a man. Nose was always on the Center head up, never on a shade. Then the "Ends" played on the guard or the tackle. We would sometimes put our "Dogs" D gap backers or outside contain down in a 3 point stance to mix up alignment at times. I'm more of an offensive guy so I can honestly say I didn't pay as much attention to the defense and I probably could have but I know that our DC really liked the 3-5 because no other teams here in Nebraska really ran it, at least where we are from anyway.

I could talk about this stuff all day.

Love the talk on the 3-5. My son's HS runs the 3-5 and he is a "Dog". They stand him up and rush him off the edge quite often...he loves it b/c he got quite few blindsides this past year.

I don't know what you guys think, but I think it is a pretty good HS defense b/c it does seem to cause quite a bit of confusion for HS offenses.

would love to see the diamond formation with 3 RB's and possible Turner running the option

Sounds like we've been using quite a few two RB sets at least. AA and Cross together; Newby and Taylor together. Interesting to see what happens.

How about a different kind of Diamond Formation: No backs, Bell split wide one way with four receivers to the other side: Turner, Moore, Irons and Pierson-El.

would love to see the diamond formation with 3 RB's and possible Turner running the option

Sounds like we've been using quite a few two RB sets at least. AA and Cross together; Newby and Taylor together. Interesting to see what happens.

How about a different kind of Diamond Formation: No backs, Bell split wide one way with four receivers to the other side: Turner, Moore, Irons and Pierson-El.

I think the offense we saw during the MSU game could, or (in my opinion) should be more of the direction we go in the future. Tons of options and weapons all around.

Love the talk on the 3-5. My son's HS runs the 3-5 and he is a "Dog". They stand him up and rush him off the edge quite often...he loves it b/c he got quite few blindsides this past year.

I don't know what you guys think, but I think it is a pretty good HS defense b/c it does seem to cause quite a bit of confusion for HS offenses.

It does cause confusion for man blocking schemes. However I learned and played under my father during high school and we ran a gap blocking scheme on offense. That way all blitzing packages from defense didn't change anything of how we blocked.