Johnny Football vs Tommy Armstong

Can I make a petition that we DO NOT call Stanton Johnny Football?

This is one of the things that drive me crazy. The many fan obsessions with being the one to think up a nickname that sticks. If I heard TMagic one more time I think I would have screamed. I pray to the Good Lord I don't have to hear Johnny Football for 4 more years.

Sounds like Fyfe got most of the reps with the second unit today.

Im gonna get annoying about my hopes and thoughts here. I just hope he gets a fair shake. Actually saw 2 of his HS games and I left impressed. Rewatch his senior tape. I know about competition level compared to JS and TA but he makes all the throws. Decent mobility and seemed like a leader.

Seems like there have been several spots here and there where a #3 guy gets more reps than the #2 guy or the #2 guy over the #1 guy. It seems to be what the staff does in the spring - or at least this spring. Maybe just giving everyone a chance to work up to see what they can do. We'll have to see I guess.

It's a new era in Nebraska quarterbacking, and Tommy Armstrong clearly remains the guy to beat. Armstrong, for now, throws the best ball — the deeper the pass, the prettier it tends to look falling into a receiver's hands — and commands the respect of his teammates. Because of a 7-1 record as a starter, he's really the incumbent; that win at Michigan is especially worth some cachet.

Armstrong remains on the learning curve, coach Bo Pelini said, of reading defenses. Last week, that showed whenever he threw short passes into traffic. Coordinator Tim Beck's offense has a number of pass plays that a quarterback must “feel,” so to speak, his way through. Of the many things Taylor Martinez did well, those quick throws — slants, curls, outs — were at the top of the list; he developed particularly good chemistry with Quincy Enunwa and former tight ends Ben Cotton and Kyler Reed.

OWH

From the same article:

Johnny Stanton can run. You see him flash his physicality and better-than-average speed and think: How can Nebraska incorporate that into its attack? Stanton occasionally makes some sneaky good reads, too, but he's generally working against lesser defenders. And remember: Nebraska's offense for years has worked a lot out of the shotgun and pistol, and Stanton barely moved out from under center in high school. He needs more time. Grand Island's Ryker Fyfe also doesn't look like a walk-on.

Heard from a pretty reliable source recently that it's going to be Armstrong, and there really isn't any competition. Who knows, and we'll find out a bunch once the bullets start flying who's gonna be the guy. Does anyone know if Darlington is going to play in the spring game? Just green jersey it up like we used to.

Really hope not, husker07. Stanton's been billed pretty high, and Armstrong, promising as he is, needs somebody to seriously push him for the job. He may have started a lot of games last year, but he shouldn't be considered an incumbent. It'll be best if he has to fight and earn that job.

• Fire 1

Heard from a pretty reliable source recently that it's going to be Armstrong, and there really isn't any competition. Who knows, and we'll find out a bunch once the bullets start flying who's gonna be the guy. Does anyone know if Darlington is going to play in the spring game? Just green jersey it up like we used to.

I don't think Darlington is going to take any contact until at least fall camp so I doubt he plays in the Spring Game.

I've been really pulling for JS to get the start but it sounds like Tommy is pulling ahead. I really am concerned it's due to his experience and not due to who is better. I trust the coaches choices though, and if they believe that Tommy is the better choice I'll be all for it.

I hope to see a crisper decision making TA this fall. Obviously the INT's were a big issue but hopefully we can chalk them up to Freshmen jitters. He ran a great option, which was unexpected, and I think we will see more of that this year. We still have a great WR corps and Tommy obviously throws a good deep ball. Like it states above it's the short passes that worry me more but its more about the decision making than it is the motions he makes.

I've been really pulling for JS to get the start but it sounds like Tommy is pulling ahead. I really am concerned it's due to his experience and not due to who is better. I trust the coaches choices though, and if they believe that Tommy is the better choice I'll be all for it.

I hope to see a crisper decision making TA this fall. Obviously the INT's were a big issue but hopefully we can chalk them up to Freshmen jitters. He ran a great option, which was unexpected, and I think we will see more of that this year. We still have a great WR corps and Tommy obviously throws a good deep ball. Like it states above it's the short passes that worry me more but its more about the decision making than it is the motions he makes.

I think Stanton would have to be other-wordly good to overcome the experience that Armstrong had coming in.

I think Stanton would have to be other-wordly good to overcome the experience that Armstrong had coming in.

I know it's not even close to the same thing but he did start Taylor over Cody Green and Zac Lee. I think it will say more about our offense moving forward on who gets the start if the race is close.