Johnny Football vs Tommy Armstong

I've been really pulling for JS to get the start but it sounds like Tommy is pulling ahead. I really am concerned it's due to his experience and not due to who is better. I trust the coaches choices though, and if they believe that Tommy is the better choice I'll be all for it.

I hope to see a crisper decision making TA this fall. Obviously the INT's were a big issue but hopefully we can chalk them up to Freshmen jitters. He ran a great option, which was unexpected, and I think we will see more of that this year. We still have a great WR corps and Tommy obviously throws a good deep ball. Like it states above it's the short passes that worry me more but its more about the decision making than it is the motions he makes.

I think Stanton would have to be other-wordly good to overcome the experience that Armstrong had coming in.

I know it's not even close to the same thing but he did start Taylor over Cody Green and Zac Lee. I think it will say more about our offense moving forward on who gets the start if the race is close.

I would say that the freshman, healthy Taylor was pretty goddamn transcendent Plus Lee was hurt.

As for the offense moving forward, I for one am hoping to see some continuity. An identity, even. So I guess obviously I'm rooting for Armstrong, and not some obsession with some new toy.

And this isn't a knock on Stanton by any stretch. At least I don't mean it to be.

Lee was unquestionably hurt, really hindered us in 2009 from achieving what we could have. Cody Green clearly didn't fit in like he expected to thus the transfer.

We have developed an identity on offense I feel but it's harder to pinpoint due to the numerous intangibles like us having to rotate 3 QB's last year.

Obsession with a new toy or not, I was impressed with his highlight videos and what he could possibly do with a collegiate level offense. Not if but when he is our starter be it this year or next, I think he is going to be exactly what we need. Tommy Armstrong showed us all he is capable as hell moving forward, there are just a couple things I worry about with him.

I've been really pulling for JS to get the start but it sounds like Tommy is pulling ahead. I really am concerned it's due to his experience and not due to who is better. I trust the coaches choices though, and if they believe that Tommy is the better choice I'll be all for it.

I hope to see a crisper decision making TA this fall. Obviously the INT's were a big issue but hopefully we can chalk them up to Freshmen jitters. He ran a great option, which was unexpected, and I think we will see more of that this year. We still have a great WR corps and Tommy obviously throws a good deep ball. Like it states above it's the short passes that worry me more but its more about the decision making than it is the motions he makes.

I think Stanton would have to be other-wordly good to overcome the experience that Armstrong had coming in.

I know it's not even close to the same thing but he did start Taylor over Cody Green and Zac Lee. I think it will say more about our offense moving forward on who gets the start if the race is close.

In this instance all of the articles by the local beat writers indicate that TA has performed much better than the other 2; since they are able to watch practices, I inclined to believe that TA is truly the better option right now. I don't think this is just a case of picking the conservative option to lower your risk and lean on the D. I just hope it is because he made a jump in his development.

The debate about Tim Beck and his decision on when to use pass plays is what concerns me with Tommy. Can he develop enough from last year to make the right calls when thrust into a situation where the pressure is sky high and the defense knows whats coming. He threw alot of picks no question. I really like his abilities though, he looked comfortable more times than not and was very capable in some sticky situations.

The vibe I'm getting from this thread is it's more of a Fyfe vs. Stanton battle for 2nd string. I AM DISAPPOINT

- but not entirely surprised.

Why disappointed?

If Armstrong is the best qb we have, why is it so disappointing that he's the man? Why is it so disappointing that Fyfe would be 2nd string if he's actually better at this point than Stanton (which I doubt will be the case when all is said and done)?

I'm oober confused right now.

)

I'd be disappointed too if that's the case. We need some fierce competition at the QB spot, and this was billed as one of the biggest and fiercest we could have asked for.

Even if Tommy is blossoming, Johnny would have to be way behind as a redshirt freshman to not be pushing him hard right now. Which would mean JSV is a lot less far along than we all thought he'd be. That's disappointing both for our depth and for Tommy, since competition brings out the best in people. But it's early, and there's plenty of time for this to turn into a fight.

The vibe I'm getting from this thread is it's more of a Fyfe vs. Stanton battle for 2nd string. I AM DISAPPOINT

Why disappointed?

If Armstrong is the best qb we have, why is it so disappointing that he's the man? Why is it so disappointing that Fyfe would be 2nd string if he's actually better at this point than Stanton (which I doubt will be the case when all is said and done)?

)

It's fine if Tommy is the only decent option we have. As long as he doesn't get hurt.

Why disappointed?

)

It's fine if Tommy is the only decent option we have. As long as he doesn't get hurt.

Yeah, but from wwhat we saw last year, Tommy had better have made huge strides this year to deserve to have the starting spot locked up. He was well below average last year,,and if his play doesn't improve dramatically, this year won't be any better than last.

• Fire 1

I'd be disappointed too if that's the case. We need some fierce competition at the QB spot, and this was billed as one of the biggest and fiercest we could have asked for.

Even if Tommy is blossoming, Johnny would have to be way behind as a redshirt freshman to not be pushing him hard right now. Which would mean JSV is a lot less far along than we all thought he'd be. That's disappointing both for our depth and for Tommy, since competition brings out the best in people. But it's early, and there's plenty of time for this to turn into a fight.

I think Johnny has a long ways to go in between the ears - if that light bulb turns on it should be fun, because everyone that's seen him says he can flat out play.

I think Johnny has a long ways to go in between the ears - if that light bulb turns on it should be fun, because everyone that's seen him says he can flat out play.

Interesting because at the Elite 11 camp last year he was really standing out in the classroom.

I got it. I was just wondering if you were having some sort of biased to Stanton for whatever reason. Seriously didnt know where you were going with it. So I'll agree. I also wish the competition were intense to the point that we didnt have a frontrunner at all for the spring and most of fall ball. Would really make each better, unless of course one was playing down too much to the other.

Why disappointed?

)

Yeah, but from wwhat we saw last year, Tommy had better have made huge strides this year to deserve to have the starting spot locked up. He was well below average last year,,and if his play doesn't improve dramatically, this year won't be any better than last.

Tommy was not "well below average" He was pretty decent at times. I'll average at worst. But "well below average"? AKA bad? C'mon. He was not a BAD quarterback. He showed his flashes of brilliance, as well as the typical mental lapses of a freshman.

• Fire 1

Interesting because at the Elite 11 camp last year he was really standing out in the classroom.

I watched most of those and remember that also. But there's just no telling how that translates onto the field and into live situations. The brain is a weird thing.

Which also isn't to say that he is incapable - he's just new. It's not at all surprising that he's behind the curve but hopefully he makes up some ground and pushes hard.