Cornerback Competition

After the report about Cockrell not really standing out in the first half of spring ball - which might not have been accurate - he's been getting a lot of praise after the last two practices. He seems to be pretty well set to be on the outside with CJax locking down the Nickel job but Cockrell and Rose seem to be pretty close for the starting corner job opposite Mitchell.

Cornerback Jonathan Rose was back with the ones Saturday after Byerson Cockrell spent at least two days this week with the top unit. Pelini said incoming freshmen could have a big impact on the battle for the fourth cornerback spot behind Josh Mitchell, Cockrell and Rose, with Boaz Joseph in the mix.

Trai Mosley!

• 2 weeks later...
Among his incoming freshmen, Pelini has to find a No. 4 corner and a No. 3 and No. 4 defensive end. At corner, there's no guarantee that Daniel Davie, a junior-to-be out of Beatrice, will be fully recovered from his ACL tear by late August. Redshirt freshmen Boaz Joseph and Ishmail Jackson remain works in progress, so Trai Mosley, Josh Kalu or Chris Jones has to hit the ground running. My money is on Mosley, but Pelini likes Jones a lot, too. Kalu could play nickel, safety or corner.

OWH

Cornerback Byerson Cockrell: Could he go from East Mississippi Community College last year to starting for the best pass defense in the Big Ten this fall? I still think Jonathan Rose wins the job opposite Josh Mitchell, but Cockrell is going to play a lot. Nebraska's ability to recruit junior colleges continues.
Among his incoming freshmen, Pelini has to find a No. 4 corner and a No. 3 and No. 4 defensive end. At corner, there's no guarantee that Daniel Davie, a junior-to-be out of Beatrice, will be fully recovered from his ACL tear by late August. Redshirt freshmen Boaz Joseph and Ishmail Jackson remain works in progress, so Trai Mosley, Josh Kalu or Chris Jones has to hit the ground running. My money is on Mosley, but Pelini likes Jones a lot, too. Kalu could play nickel, safety or corner.

OWH

It has been a little disappointing to here Boaz has not progressed enough this spring to be considered ahead of incoming freshman. However, Mosley and Jones definitely look to have a lot more upside, with Mosley looking a little more college ready. Hope someone takes ownership of the 4th spot. My guess is also on Mosley being that guy.

As far as the two DE, you would imagine Keels would have the leg up to lock up one of those spots, or Natter depending on his recovery. The good news is that we would only need one of the four incoming HS DE to stand out in the fall camp to lock up that fourth spot (i.e., Newell, Stoltenberg, King, and Wills).

I would not feel too bad about Boaz just yet Mav. I feel we have a very good one back there coaching up the DB's... one who could push forward the development on project guys who were a little more rough around the edges, like Joseph.

The thing(s) I like most about Warren are his military background and I also feel he'll be more likely to stick around for a long time, given his background. I think if you pay the man, he's not going to go anywhere.

I would not feel too bad about Boaz just yet Mav. I feel we have a very good one back there coaching up the DB's... one who could push forward the development on project guys who were a little more rough around the edges, like Joseph.

The thing(s) I like most about Warren are his military background and I also feel he'll be more likely to stick around for a long time, given his background. I think if you pay the man, he's not going to go anywhere.

With Bo and the DB coaches he has brought in (assuming Warren will fit that mold), I never worry too much about our DB development. Add to the fact that Warren has been about to coach takeaways well with his defenses, I could see our DBs to continue to be elite.

My point was more that we need that fourth CB for depth, and it is too bad Boaz isn't meeting that need. I think Boaz was more of a safety out if HS anyway and may have been slid over to corner because of need.

Nebraska = #DBU

With Bo and the DB coaches he has brought in (assuming Warren will fit that mold), I never worry too much about our DB development. Add to the fact that Warren has been about to coach takeaways well with his defenses, I could see our DBs to continue to be elite.

My point was more that we need that fourth CB for depth, and it is too bad Boaz isn't meeting that need. I think Boaz was more of a safety out if HS anyway and may have been slid over to corner because of need.

Nebraska = #DBU

Sorry I called you Mav man. :lol:

I think there's still a lot of hope for Joseph. He's got plenty of time to study his playbook up over the summer and hopefully under the tutelage of Warren next fall he'll be ready to be a factor. If not, we'll probably just see another Lance Thorell in there at Dime... :D

Boaz was ranked as a S but our coaches from day 1 recruited him as CB, IIRC. Hopefully that means they think he's got the hips and instincts to stick there. There's a logjam at safety right now anyway.

FIVE STOCK RISERS

Charles Jackson: The junior's successful spring should not be undersold given the past struggles Jackson has had finding the field as an every-down player. No one has ever doubted his physical gifts. But Jackson’s dedication to his craft impressed coaches enough that, by spring’s end, there didn’t seem any doubt who the No. 1 nickel back was. This fall will be the test, but Jackson’s spring work has put him in position to finally jump up and see how close he can get to touching his ceiling.

LJS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...