Defensive Line

I'm really excited about our defensive in 2014, primarily because the DL has the best chance in years to return to that dominant form that enabled us to do so much in 2009.

RG44 is a special player, and both tackle spots should be very well manned. If they put it all together this year...it'll allow a talented group of guys at the next two levels to thrive. Top 10 defense in 2014?...

If we are really that thin at DE then this is where if like to see us take some 6'2-6'3 210-220 LB linebacker and use him as a situational pass rusher. Maybe a true or redshirt freshman that's buried on the LB depth chart but has great athleticism. Just maybe lacking In play book knowledge. We got anyone like that? A Trev Alberts type.

NQMFAGRGZKYCZSH.20130904160137.jpg

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4&SPID=22&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=206284450&Q_SEASON=2014

McKewon talked about Newby on the OWH roundtable as a guy they could use for this.

Sounds good to me.

I'm really excited about our defensive in 2014, primarily because the DL has the best chance in years to return to that dominant form that enabled us to do so much in 2009.

RG44 is a special player, and both tackle spots should be very well manned. If they put it all together this year...it'll allow a talented group of guys at the next two levels to thrive. Top 10 defense in 2014?...

It's definitely possible. Especially if that line can stay as healthy as the 2009 version did.

If we are really that thin at DE then this is where if like to see us take some 6'2-6'3 210-220 LB linebacker and use him as a situational pass rusher. Maybe a true or redshirt freshman that's buried on the LB depth chart but has great athleticism. Just maybe lacking In play book knowledge. We got anyone like that? A Trev Alberts type.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4&SPID=22&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=206284450&Q_SEASON=2014

McKewon talked about Newby on the OWH roundtable as a guy they could use for this.

I was thinking Bando, he seems to be a little bigger. Guess we'll see...

http://www.huskers.c...8;Q_SEASON=2014

I was thinking Bando, he seems to be a little bigger. Guess we'll see...

I agree with Newby or Bando. Bando put on a little weigh the off-season so I could definitely see him there in a pinch.

We do have King and Wills coming in this fall. Not sure they'll be ready to play right away but will definitely add depth.

Honestly not trying to be a smart*** here...but how exactly will they add depth if they're not ready to play? To me, depth means #1 goes down, #2 steps in & gets the job done. #2 goes down, #3 steps in & gets the job done. #3 goes down, #4 steps in & gets the job done. Theres a difference between legitimately having depth & having numbers

Zaire Anderson could play DE I bet.

I would not be in favor of this move, Zaire is one of our best linebackers.

We do have King and Wills coming in this fall. Not sure they'll be ready to play right away but will definitely add depth.

Honestly not trying to be a smart*** here...but how exactly will they add depth if they're not ready to play? To me, depth means #1 goes down, #2 steps in & gets the job done. #2 goes down, #3 steps in & gets the job done. #3 goes down, #4 steps in & gets the job done. Theres a difference between legitimately having depth & having numbers

I don't know if they will be needed to play given the guys ahead of them. If no one gets hurt, I bet we don't see a lot other than Gregory, McMullen, Keels and possibly Natter in any meaningful snaps. But if someone does get hurt, it's possible one of those guys could play - even in some limited role - to provide some depth.

Yeah, numbers doesn't always mean depth. But the kind of depth you're referring to, 88, is probably more often called 'geez we're stacked, you guys.'

And there's a difference between being able to list a string of names, and having guys who are currently projected to contribute or who are regarded as having lots of potential. Sometimes those names are just guys who have spent years in the program but have struggled through injuries or lack of progression. It's definitely easier to be optimistic when we're talking about new entries. But numbers are better than not and promise is better than 'hope these players turn it around.'

• Fire 1

Yeah, numbers doesn't always mean depth. But the kind of depth you're referring to, 88, is probably more often called 'geez we're stacked, you guys.'

And there's a difference between being able to list a string of names, and having guys who are currently projected to contribute or who are regarded as having lots of potential. Sometimes those names are just guys who have spent years in the program but have struggled through injuries or lack of progression. It's definitely easier to be optimistic when we're talking about new entries. But numbers are better than not and promise is better than 'hope these players turn it around.'

Let's not forget that just having numbers is really important for practicing, which is especially important in the off-season. Having guys that can just get plugged in and will play at a high level is of course much better, but still need bodies at every position to run multiple stations at practice and not completely wear out the players.

Let's not forget that just having numbers is really important for practicing, which is especially important in the off-season. Having guys that can just get plugged in and will play at a high level is of course much better, but still need bodies at every position to run multiple stations at practice and not completely wear out the players.

The bolded is definitely true. We actually didn't run multiple stations - at least not very often - until two years ago,iirc. I know, I'm boring you with more stories of how the coaching staff changes things to try to get better but that is huge. Especially on the lines, I've said since then that I thought our offensive line play - which had generally been below average the previous 10 years - would get a lot better due in large part to getting more reps. I think we've seen that over the last couple years. And now, even after losing five seniors, we still appear to be at least eight deep on the line which is really nice.

The bolded is definitely true. We actually didn't run multiple stations - at least not very often - until two years ago,iirc. I know, I'm boring you with more stories of how the coaching staff changes things to try to get better but that is huge. Especially on the lines, I've said since then that I thought our offensive line play - which had generally been below average the previous 10 years - would get a lot better due in large part to getting more reps. I think we've seen that over the last couple years. And now, even after losing five seniors, we still appear to be at least eight deep on the line which is really nice.

Good post. I thought Bo implemented multiple stations when he got here. OL play has definitely gotten much better than last 2 seasons.

Good post. I thought Bo implemented multiple stations when he got here. OL play has definitely gotten much better than last 2 seasons.

I remember reading at the beginning of the season - I think it was just two years ago, maybe three - that Garrison said they'd started using multiple stations at the start of fall practice. Really think that has helped.