Fyfe Looking for "Huge" Off-Season

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Fyfe has a nice opportunity right in front of him. Although fellow sophomore Tommy Armstrong has taken the vast majority of snaps with the first-string offense through six spring practices, Fyfe feels he and touted redshirt freshman Johnny Stanton essentially occupy the same plane at No. 2.

"I'm not going to lie, Tommy's being a great leader out there for us," Fyfe said. "We need that at the quarterback spot. But, I mean, me and Johnny are right behind him. We're all competing."

Armstrong, an eight-game starter last season, has practiced well and will be difficult for anyone to overtake, Fyfe acknowledged.

"Tommy doesn't make too many mistakes," Fyfe said. "He sees blitzes. He sees coverages. Then, he makes plays. He's a great player. That's why it's tough to compete. I mean, I feel like I'm right there with him. But he makes those plays. …

"He's got experience over us," Fyfe added. "Me and Johnny know that."

Fyfe practices with confidence and makes clear he isn't content to be a backup. He feels capable of directing the first-string offense when he gets those chances. He feels good about his arm strength. He says his height also comes in handy — he can see over linemen, read coverages and find receivers. What's more, Fyfe shows good mobility.

LJS

I missed the part where the coaches and media actually said we didn't have depth at quarterback and that was the reason we were giving Jamal reps

I think hes referencing the other thread where Jamal getting qb reps was for depth. I think it was a good idea since hes playing wr in games but also has more knowledge with the playbook.

I missed the part where the coaches and media actually said we didn't have depth at quarterback and that was the reason we were giving Jamal reps

I think hes referencing the other thread where Jamal getting qb reps was for depth. I think it was a good idea since hes playing wr in games but also has more knowledge with the playbook.

I know he's referencing the other thread, but the "Jamal getting qb reps for depth" perspective is speculation generated by us as fans. The fans didn't write the article about Fyfe, nor did we give him the opinion that he could have a huge spring.

The film on Fife from High School was promising. Who knows... he may legitimately compete. If so, that would be great. Stranger things have happened. It is not like walk-on QB's have never surprised in the past. They have. I like his attitude too... he is going for it. Good for him and NU.

Granted. I assumed it was for depth considering last years rash of injuries. Jamal has more knowledge than Fyfe but I like his attitude thus far.

You don't know that. Jamal has been playing WR his entire career while Fyfe has been in the QB room and practice every day. Just because someone like Armstrong who is probably more physically gifted is ahead of him, doesn't mean Fyfe doesn't have the same level of knowledge of the offense.

Granted. I assumed it was for depth considering last years rash of injuries. Jamal has more knowledge than Fyfe but I like his attitude thus far.

You don't know that. Jamal has been playing WR his entire career while Fyfe has been in the QB room and practice every day. Just because someone like Armstrong who is probably more physically gifted is ahead of him, doesn't mean Fyfe doesn't have the same level of knowledge of the offense.

Jamal Turner was a Quarterback when recruited, plus he's been here for 3 years so he knows the playbook better.

This taken from his bio on Huskers.com

Before Nebraska (Sam Houston HS)

Turner came to Nebraska after a prolific high school career at Sam Houston High School in Arlington, Texas. He was one of the nation's top dual-threat quarterbacks for Coach Danny Edelman, racking up more than 10,000 yards of total offense in three years as a starter.

As a senior, Turner rushed for 1,888 yards on 267 carries and 35 rushing touchdowns. Through the air, he completed better than 60 percent of his passes for 1,551 yards and eight touchdowns. His play as a senior earned Turner first-team All-DFW area selection by the Dallas Morning News as a utility player, and he was also an honorable-mention Class 5A all-state pick. Turner produced similar statistics as a junior with 1,809 yards and 19 touchdowns rushing, while averaging better than eight yards per carry. He also threw for better than 1,800 yards and 13 touchdowns and earned second-team All-DFW area honors and second-team 5A all-state honors.

Turner first stepped into the starting quarterback role as a sophomore and posted big passing numbers. He threw for 2,611 yards and 21 touchdowns, while also rushing for better than 400 yards and nine touchdowns. Turner was chosen to play in the Under Armour All-American game in Florida in January, and he showed his all-around ability by lining up at receiver in the game. ESPN ranked Turner among the top 50 overall prospects in the country and as the No. 6 "athlete" in the nation. Rivals.com ranked Turner among the top 140 players in the nation and the top 20 prospects in Texas. Turner only visited Nebraska, but had numerous offers including Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M and USC.

Same here. And the story is the offseason is "huge" for Fyfe, meaning that he probably has to make his move now or he might get permanently passed by.