The image of Nebraska athletics

Barfknecht: Huskers shucked a sorry image this season (OWH Basketball)

In an article talking about shifting images on national perception for Nebraska basketball and football, this really stands out to me.

"What those officials won't say publicly but is heard behind the scenes is they want the football program to learn something from Miles, and fast.

Football's bunker mentality has created a black-cloud public image that has split the fan base and damaged the perception of the department locally, regionally and nationally. Those are facts not in dispute.

In a low-population state in which the fans are the greatest asset, that can't continue."

There's clearly been a pr campaign we haven't seen from Bo, and while it's been at minimum mildly successful, I feel it is on the verge of becoming stale.

People are saying that football season needs to hurry up and get here, and they're right. There is only one thing that will help Bo at this point.

Wins. And lots of em.

• Fire 4

Lol..."....facts not in dispute". I think the better, and more meaningful use of wording is "unfounded speculation". Good day LB......

There isn't a division in the fan base and Nebraska's star isn't as bright nationally? Is this what you are saying?

You know, the division in the fan base is a weird subject.....and one that I don't care about. Do I think it's a major issue? No, not even close. Evidently there were times our fan base was divided over Osborne? Now, what I am saying is exactly this......I am very excited about the upcoming season, especially our D Line. But hey, for those like Lee B, carry on with the agenda. It failed.

Here's the two paragraphs preceding the OP's quote, which gives the right context for to whom 'officials' is referring.

Beyond X's and O's though, Miles' biggest contribution by far has been to make Nebraska athletics fun again.

NU administrators openly rave about the era of good feeling Miles has established throughout the department with his engaging personality, honesty about his team and connection with the fans.

What those officials won't say publicly but is heard behind the scenes is they want the football program to learn something from Miles, and fast.

the contrast that miles has provided has not worked in bo's favor.....

miles' way: be open and kind and engage media and fans to the fullest extent all while thriving and reaching your pinnacle success.

bo's way: tell the fans and media to go f#*k themselves, and insinuate that any info is none of their goddam business... all while playing down to their opponents and delivering lackluster results.

bo's "bunker mentality" would be justified if his teams ever showed they deserve it or we should respect it. nobody cares about your nuclear secrets when you go 9-4 every year. more so, it creates hostility. and it's not about "info"... its about perception.

Remember when TO would give K-State our playbook to study? "these are the plays, try and stop us."

Bo is lightyears from that.

• Fire 4

miles' way: be open and kind and engage media and fans to the fullest extent all while thriving and reaching your pinnacle success.

bo's way: tell the fans and media to go f#*k themselves, and insinuate that any info is none of their goddam business... all while playing down to their opponents and delivering lackluster results.

bo's "bunker mentality" would be justified if his teams ever showed they deserve it or we should respect it. nobody cares about your nuclear secrets when you go 9-4 every year. more so, it creates hostility. and it's not about "info"... its about perception.

Remember when TO would give K-State our playbook to study? "these are the plays, try and stop us."

Where in the world do you get that TO gave KSU the play book?

BP is not TO just like he was not BD. Tim Miles has a great media friendly personality which is great, but that is not the best thing about him. The best thing is that he is turning the bb program around. Winning cures all things.

Can BP be better with the media? Most definitely, but he is not much different than Sabin, Dantonio, Belichek, Harbaugh, Spurrier, etc are with the media.

The worst thing about the article is that Barfneckt turns a nice piece about Miles into a Pelini bash.

• Fire 4

BP is not TO just like he was not BD. Tim Miles has a great media friendly personality which is great, but that is not the best thing about him. The best thing is that he is turning the bb program around. Winning cures all things.

Can BP be better with the media? Most definitely, but he is not much different than Sabin, Dantonio, Belichek, Harbaugh, Spurrier, etc are with the media.

The worst thing about the article is that Barfneckt turns a nice piece about Miles into a Pelini bash.

i've heard that TO gave plays to K-State back in the day.... just what i've heard, not gospel.

know what the difference between the coaches you named and BP? like you just said... winning cures all.

and who are you to determine what the article is about? lol let the writer of the article write his own article.

.....as if Bo doesn't deserve anything negative written about him. please.

• Fire 1

i've heard that TO gave plays to K-State back in the day.... just what i've heard, not gospel.

know what the difference between the coaches you named and BP? like you just said... winning cures all.

and who are you to determine what the article is about? lol let the writer of the article write his own article.

.....as if Bo doesn't deserve anything negative written about him. please.

Well, the author is trying to communicate a point. It doesn't really matter what his intentions were when we wrote the article. All that matters is how it is received by the audience.

I remember what LB was writing about Miles after the Creighton game. He wrote that Miles had joined the long list of Husker failures as coaches of the basketball program. And now the basketball team is the model for the football team.

Right. That makes total sense.

What Lee is saying is that... Nebraska basketball is hot right now, so I am going to blather on about it. Watch what happens if the Huskers have a good season on the gridiron and a bad season on the hardwood. Mr. Lee will say what a good decision it was to keep Bo and he will also say that we should have seen Nebraska basketball failure coming since no one can maintain any level of success in that program.

• Fire 4

You know, the division in the fan base is a weird subject.....and one that I don't care about. Do I think it's a major issue? No, not even close. Evidently there were times our fan base was divided over Osborne? Now, what I am saying is exactly this......I am very excited about the upcoming season, especially our D Line. But hey, for those like Lee B, carry on with the agenda. It failed.

No sh#t. There were fans divided about Osborne in 1996 for Christ's sake.

I find this comical. He insinuates that Bo doesnt get along with poeple in the department or with people who matter. Yet, last fall a series of events were strung together and on a November afternoon, he did everything he could to have the plug pulled on himself. Yet, **NEWS FLASH**, he's still here. Hence, he must be doing SOMETHING right. Barfneck. Youre a god damn tool. It's why I dont read his garbage either. He dont know sh#t.

And I love Polo's op. Bitches about Bo and how he needs to lighten up or whatever all the time. Make changes. Embrace the fanbase and whatever and so on. And yet is ridiculing this PR campaign we're seeing. Hell yes it's a PR campaign. He's trying to change, like all the bitchers like you want, and now he gets ridiculed for it as well. Make up your damn mind. What do you want?

Oh. right. Just win.

Well, we all know that it wouldnt be by enough.

And I love Polo's op. Bitches about Bo and how he needs to lighten up or whatever all the time. Make changes. Embrace the fanbase and whatever and so on. And yet is ridiculing this PR campaign we're seeing. Hell yes it's a PR campaign. He's trying to change, like all the bitchers like you want, and now he gets ridiculed for it as well. Make up your damn mind. What do you want?

Oh. right. Just win.

Well, we all know that it wouldnt be by enough.

Really? Do you honestly think if Nebraska went 12-1, and won the conference by three points if be unhappy that they didn't win by enough?

And I'm sorry, the PR thing, without wins will go stale and tiresome. Make book on that.

• Fire 2