The image of Nebraska athletics

I think it's wishful thinking to believe that Bo hasn't turned off a lot of folks who are not happy that he's running the program the way he has.

Although it's also wishful thinking (the other way) to think that the charm offensive hasn't made significant gains since December. Can it only go so far? Of course. But is it getting stale? No.

I don't think too many people believe that Bo will fundamentally reinvent himself and rebrand his program -- that's a hard sell, and Bo's always been a more down to earth, I am who I am guy -- so it's just a matter of a) keeping up the PR improvements and staying in the clear, and b) winning games.

• Fire 1

NBo will NEVER be truly accepted by the entire fan base because of the constant comparison between him and TO.

That whole f you fans debacle didn't help things either.

That 'debacle' was the biggest cowardly thing a person could do to someone. Put yourself in his shoes at that specific moment...the pu$$y who leaked this is a complete joke in my mind. I was not offended by his comments...although, it did paint a poor picture of Bo and sent people who were on the fence to the haters side.

I do think Bo has done a nice job with running a clean program and being consistent. He just needs to get over the hump of the 9 wins and then getting to and winning the conference championship. NU has a great tradition and this tradition has taken a hit. It has been a tough rode getting back, but I choose to believe Bo will get us there.

• Fire 1

The leaker is definitely a joke, but shouldn't be used to dismiss the point.

It's not about whether you were personally offended or not. That suggests it's a question of your own skin, the burden of reaction being placed on the fan.

It's the revelation that after such a positive win for the program, biggest comeback in school history, which Bo himself celebrated with his team in delight, our head coach was a snarling mess of f-bombs directed at fans and media members, occupied with thoughts of leaving the program because that'll show us. And that microcosm, that little slice of behind the scenes Bo, is quite telling. Of course, it still could be dismissed on the basis of "It's so long ago, Bo is totally different now." Yeah, maybe.

• Fire 4

I can tell you that I have had a similar tirade behind closed doors with a colleague. My profession opens up the door to being bashed when things go poorly and maybe receiving a backhanded complement when things are going well. It is a venting session...we have all done something along the lines with our jobs. Should season ticket holders have their tickets taken away and never allowed back into Memorial Stadium if they voice their opinions? I know Bo should/can be held to a higher standard because of his position. But in all honesty, this is something that can happen in almost all professions.

Miles did an amazing job this year and has done great things in his other stops along the way. This just proves the point that if you win, things can be forgiven a little easier. What would have been the outcome if Miles had his little hissy fit that he did during the dance if it would have happened somewhere else and not after a successful season?

• Fire 1

I don't expect Bo to never be emotional, but after a huge, positive win over Ohio State, that's what he's thinking about, sticking it to the haters when he leaves Nebraska for greener pastures? After other big wins where he takes swipes at critics who think he's forgotten how to stop the run? Before a big Texas game where he has the time to worry about some fan?

It's a high pressure job, sure, but where is this guy's energy being directed? Miles (first of all, 'hissy fit'? did you watch that game, or his comments about it afterward?), nobody's too shocked to see him have this kind of success because it's so clear that all of his energy and focus is constantly being poured towards improving the program. Us-against-the-world-including-the-fans aside, Bo comes off as unhealthily preoccupied with the critics. And it's not too far-fetched to connect the dots from there to the high-strung, mistake-prone efforts we've seen in some of our big games.

• Fire 4

I did watch the game and it was a bad call...as with Bo, I am not offended with it. It is emotional and neither one is a robot. I feel that Bo is not given a fair shake...I will be the first to admit that some of it is his doing, but some reporters and/or journalists will always be looking for a way to take a swipe at Bo....including this clown. I hope both coaches can be successful and not turn into this is how a coach should or should not act.

• Fire 1

I was fortunate to hear coach Miles on Basket ball and beyond the other night. A fantastic, interesting, funny, candid interview off the cuff. It is no wonder he wows the recruits and the University. Bo is a different kind of person no question. I have grown sick of the PR program, I must admit. It comes across as fake, staged and insulting. I want Bo to be better, but I do not want him shoved down my throat with angel dust.

Again as to his outbursts, I have heard General grade officers make similar comments in private. Thank God most do no attend military boot camps, their poor little ears would fall off. His comments really mean absolutely nothing to me. I am not a Bo fan, but this was a crappy deal for him.

He needs to improve his image, no question, but he needs to do it. No one truly buys the PR crap.

And I must be honest, I have not met a true Bobot in over 3 years. Only on this site. Most strangers think he is the worst a University could do for its face.

I do think he is a good guy, just needs a lot of work.

I was fortunate to hear coach Miles on Basket ball and beyond the other night. A fantastic, interesting, funny, candid interview off the cuff. It is no wonder he wows the recruits and the University. Bo is a different kind of person no question. I have grown sick of the PR program, I must admit. It comes across as fake, staged and insulting. I want Bo to be better, but I do not want him shoved down my throat with angel dust.

Again as to his outbursts, I have heard General grade officers make similar comments in private. Thank God most do no attend military boot camps, their poor little ears would fall off. His comments really mean absolutely nothing to me. I am not a Bo fan, but this was a crappy deal for him.

He needs to improve his image, no question, but he needs to do it. No one truly buys the PR crap.

And I must be honest, I have not met a true Bobot in over 3 years. Only on this site. Most strangers think he is the worst a University could do for its face.

I do think he is a good guy, just needs a lot of work.

You do know that Bo has to say yes to the PR campaign? I think he is fully aware of the PR problem he has, and is doing all that he can at the moment to calm the tide. But, the bigger test will undoubtedly come in the fall, when Nebraska may fail during a game. Questions will come, some of them might be very obvious and stupid. The way he answers those questions will be the biggest indicator as to whether any change has been made at all.

I don't expect Bo to never be emotional, but after a huge, positive win over Ohio State, that's what he's thinking about, sticking it to the haters when he leaves Nebraska for greener pastures? After other big wins where he takes swipes at critics who think he's forgotten how to stop the run? Before a big Texas game where he has the time to worry about some fan?

It's a high pressure job, sure, but where is this guy's energy being directed? Miles (first of all, 'hissy fit'? did you watch that game, or his comments about it afterward?), nobody's too shocked to see him have this kind of success because it's so clear that all of his energy and focus is constantly being poured towards improving the program. Us-against-the-world-including-the-fans aside, Bo comes off as unhealthily preoccupied with the critics. And it's not too far-fetched to connect the dots from there to the high-strung, mistake-prone efforts we've seen in some of our big games.

We're admitting the fan thing in the Cornhusker before the Texas game is true? I never believed that and I'm thinking that's saying something.

I think there's a lot of people tired of Bo. Count me in as one of those. I could care less what he does anymore and haven't for a long long time. I used to get excited about Nebraska football even in down years. I was excited at the possibilities when he first was announced as head coach. That excitement quickly waned and has never been even close to being the same since.

You can say what you want about the writer but I can tell you from first hand experience that there aren't many Bolievers in fact I've never met a single one here in Chicago and in Wisconsin where I travel a lot for work. The perception of him isn't pretty regardless of what he's 'really like' whatever that may be. Miles on the other hand is a different story and in my opinion the way he's come in and carried himself has been like a breath of fresh air.

Anecdotal evidence FTW!

• Fire 1

NBo will NEVER be truly accepted by the entire fan base because of the constant comparison between him and TO.

That whole f you fans debacle didn't help things either.

So I guess everyone hates Rex Burkhead too right? Because he was pissed at the people who left early that game too.
  • Fire 1

Let's put this in perspective. Miles took the Mens BBall team to the big dance, but lost in the first round. There was no conference championship, we were abysmal in road games this year, and he just had three players leave/transfer from the program. I'm not discounting what Miles has done with the program, but in comparison, a similar season for the football program would be considered a complete and utter failure. The two programs simply cannot be compared to one another, apples and oranges.

• Fire 3

Let's put this in perspective. Miles took the Mens BBall team to the big dance, but lost in the first round. There was no conference championship, we were abysmal in road games this year, and he just had three players leave/transfer from the program. I'm not discounting what Miles has done with the program, but in comparison, a similar season for the football program would be considered a complete and utter failure. The two programs simply cannot be compared to one another, apples and oranges.

Great point...I was trying to say that as well. The two cannot be compared....winning half of the games the bball team won would have been a success.