The image of Nebraska athletics

Ah, the usage of wording to emphasize precious little points. 2012 was not the only season a Pelini coached team competed for a championship.....and it was obviously the season we were furthest away of the three.

i do not know if this is a defense of bo, or what? but the fact that bo is getting further away from a championship with the more experience he gets should be cause for concern. and to add context to 2012, he was embarrassed by ohio st. and wiscy was technically 3rd out of the east.

And as far as protecting assistants, don't think for one little itsy bitsy teeny weeny minute that Osborne didn't protect his assistants, as is common for a head coach to do.......and let's also not pretend Osborne didn't have to defend Charlie McBride at more than one point.

so, you think paps is worthy of bo's protection as mcbride was of osborn's and cosgrove was of callahan's?

I think talent level helps any coordinator.

yeah, i won't disagree.

but i was wondering if you thought paps deserves bo's protection? do you think he is a good defensive coordinator?

Last year showed me he could be a good-great DC.

Polo, question.

Should Syracuse fire Jim Boeheim?

Hmm, well I suppose they can if they want to.

But you're referencing putting up with a coach's antics I assume. Well Boeheim obviously has a national title on his resume (although it took a long while), he did manage to win a conference title the first year he was eligible to ('Cuse was an independent for his first three years, won the Big East in his 4th and the first year in the conference) So he's got the championship resume that Bo does not have, and I'm sure that makes it a lot more palatable for the Orangemen fans. I think a more valid comparison for Bo is say, Frank Martin, who appears to have to move around every few years. (Did Martin win the XII? I don't think he did but I could be wrong.)

Also, Boeheim pretty much is Syracuse basketball. Bo is nowhere near that for Nebraska.

I am referencing 'putting up with a coach's antics' so, 10 points for catching on to that. But the direction I'm trying to steer this isn't a comparison of coaches rather a look at a relationship that is, in my imo, merely coincidental.

You think we lose games because Bo throws a tantrum? I've seen a fair number of games that we've won where Bo throws the same type of tantrum. What's the difference between those two? (I have an answer in mind, by the way) If it negatively affects us when we lose, it certainly can't positively lead us to win.

Let's live in a pretend world where Bo Pelini is as stoic as Tom Osborne on the sidelines, yet we compile the same record, win the same games by the same amount and lose the same games by the same amount. What would you assess to be the problem in this hypothetical world?

What is happening right now should not be acceptable for Nebraska football. They are not competing for championships. I know technically they played for one in 2012 but they got trucked, had 70 hung on them and generally looked like a scared mammal caught in the high beams of the 18 wheeler that was about to plaster them across the interstate. You can point to that as an accomplishment, hell, we know that Bo certainly thinks that isn't anything to apologize for, but there's only two Nebraska coaches that have had a team they're in charge of have 70 put on them, Bo, and Bill Callahan.

The similarities between the two men don't stop there, either. Both protect their seemingly in-over-their-head assistants to a fault, both seem to be unable to shake frequent errors on a fundamental level of the game, both have been labeled with the "genius"'tag in their levels of expertise in the game, and of course, a lack of championships. Like, any. At all.

And Bo isn't alone in incurring ire over his sideline behavior either. Lest we forget the infamous throat slash incident against Oklahoma in 2005. Nebraska's image was brought up, maturity was brought up, and like now, the ardent supporters "could care less" (improper sayings ftw!") and "like a coach who supports his kids when they're getting screwed over".

Well Nebraska hasn't been constantly getting screwed for nearly a decade and a half, they've just been victims of poor coaching. So if you're asking me if we had a stoic guy and our same record if I'd be happy? No, because outside of one game against OU, we had that in Bill Callahan. Point to the bowl misses by him all you want, but there is precious little difference between BC and Bo as coaches. Both are career assistants who appear unable to handle the scope of a head coaching gig. I guess that one year under Frank was quite the talisman, because it appears his legacy of a "Nebraska guy" is the only thing keeping the wolves off of him like they were on Bill even before 07.

I'm sure I'll get the 9 wins thrown in my face, but I'm choosing to believe that Bo is more likely to regress away from that than grow past it, considering he had his easiest schedule yet last year and needed a Hail Mary, a missed chip shot field goal, and a last second drive against three average to poor teams in the conference to even make it past six.

Is Northwestern being counted twice in that last paragraph? Who missed the chip shot field goal? And the three average to poor teams: I'm assuming Michigan, Northwestern (if they are indeed being counted twice), and...Penn State?

For the rest of your post:

So it's simply, just win? Win and everything you do is golden. Lose and everything you do is rotten.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like seeing Nebraska being represented by a screaming Bo Pelini. However, on a scale of importance from 1-10, I just think it's on the lower end instead of on the higher end, where winning resides.

Polo, question.

Should Syracuse fire Jim Boeheim?

Hmm, well I suppose they can if they want to.

But you're referencing putting up with a coach's antics I assume. Well Boeheim obviously has a national title on his resume (although it took a long while), he did manage to win a conference title the first year he was eligible to ('Cuse was an independent for his first three years, won the Big East in his 4th and the first year in the conference) So he's got the championship resume that Bo does not have, and I'm sure that makes it a lot more palatable for the Orangemen fans. I think a more valid comparison for Bo is say, Frank Martin, who appears to have to move around every few years. (Did Martin win the XII? I don't think he did but I could be wrong.)

Also, Boeheim pretty much is Syracuse basketball. Bo is nowhere near that for Nebraska.

I am referencing 'putting up with a coach's antics' so, 10 points for catching on to that. But the direction I'm trying to steer this isn't a comparison of coaches rather a look at a relationship that is, in my imo, merely coincidental.

You think we lose games because Bo throws a tantrum? I've seen a fair number of games that we've won where Bo throws the same type of tantrum. What's the difference between those two? (I have an answer in mind, by the way) If it negatively affects us when we lose, it certainly can't positively lead us to win.

Let's live in a pretend world where Bo Pelini is as stoic as Tom Osborne on the sidelines, yet we compile the same record, win the same games by the same amount and lose the same games by the same amount. What would you assess to be the problem in this hypothetical world?

What is happening right now should not be acceptable for Nebraska football. They are not competing for championships. I know technically they played for one in 2012 but they got trucked, had 70 hung on them and generally looked like a scared mammal caught in the high beams of the 18 wheeler that was about to plaster them across the interstate. You can point to that as an accomplishment, hell, we know that Bo certainly thinks that isn't anything to apologize for, but there's only two Nebraska coaches that have had a team they're in charge of have 70 put on them, Bo, and Bill Callahan.

The similarities between the two men don't stop there, either. Both protect their seemingly in-over-their-head assistants to a fault, both seem to be unable to shake frequent errors on a fundamental level of the game, both have been labeled with the "genius"'tag in their levels of expertise in the game, and of course, a lack of championships. Like, any. At all.

And Bo isn't alone in incurring ire over his sideline behavior either. Lest we forget the infamous throat slash incident against Oklahoma in 2005. Nebraska's image was brought up, maturity was brought up, and like now, the ardent supporters "could care less" (improper sayings ftw!") and "like a coach who supports his kids when they're getting screwed over".

Well Nebraska hasn't been constantly getting screwed for nearly a decade and a half, they've just been victims of poor coaching. So if you're asking me if we had a stoic guy and our same record if I'd be happy? No, because outside of one game against OU, we had that in Bill Callahan. Point to the bowl misses by him all you want, but there is precious little difference between BC and Bo as coaches. Both are career assistants who appear unable to handle the scope of a head coaching gig. I guess that one year under Frank was quite the talisman, because it appears his legacy of a "Nebraska guy" is the only thing keeping the wolves off of him like they were on Bill even before 07.

I'm sure I'll get the 9 wins thrown in my face, but I'm choosing to believe that Bo is more likely to regress away from that than grow past it, considering he had his easiest schedule yet last year and needed a Hail Mary, a missed chip shot field goal, and a last second drive against three average to poor teams in the conference to even make it past six.

Is Northwestern being counted twice in that last paragraph? Who missed the chip shot field goal? And the three average to poor teams: I'm assuming Michigan, Northwestern (if they are indeed being counted twice), and...Penn State?

For the rest of your post:

So it's simply, just win? Win and everything you do is golden. Lose and everything you do is rotten.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like seeing Nebraska being represented by a screaming Bo Pelini. However, on a scale of importance from 1-10, I just think it's on the lower end instead of on the higher end, where winning resides.

It is. And I will freely admit if NU cashed in on their chance in 09/10 there'd be less venom on me. But it stopped being a sign of passion and started looking more and more like the rantings of a guy in a situation he can't control somewhere around Madison, 2011.

• Fire 5

What I've commonly argued about Pelini is that his staff has so far been unable to consistently make up for talent deficiencies. We saw what Pelini was capable of when he had top NFL at all three levels of the defense. I think there's a correlation there - look at the last couple of years and the NFL talent - or lack there of.

It is. And I will freely admit if NU cashed in on their chance in 09/10 there'd be less venom on me. But it stopped being a sign of passion and started looking more and more like the rantings of a guy in a situation he can't control somewhere around Madison, 2011.

Fair enough. I think a lot of people misunderstand you. Not all gloom and doom, just the world we live in kind of thing. Here's hoping we see a turnaround from here on out.

What I've commonly argued about Pelini is that his staff has so far been unable to consistently make up for talent deficiencies. We saw what Pelini was capable of when he had top NFL at all three levels of the defense. I think there's a correlation there - look at the last couple of years and the NFL talent - or lack there of.

Of only Bo was in charge of the talent who came to Nebraska......

I'm choosing to believe that Bo is more likely to regress away from (9 wins) than grow past it.

And this is where I think most people disagree, and will continue to until Bo actually does regress down to a 6-win season or less.

Agree... because if he wins 10-11 or 12 games in a year some will just right if off as dumb luck, easy schedule, winning in spite of him...bla bla bla......

Coaches pay for recruiting deficiencies several years down the road. I wish someone would name the seemingly large group of first year head coaches who inherited programs that were on the skids and who hit a home run in recruiting right off the bat. Changing our offense a couple years into the program then changing conferences 4 years into his tenure are all factors. Coaxing 9 wins per season out of the talent on the roster the last 6 years was a pretty amazing feat in my opinion.

I'm choosing to believe that Bo is more likely to regress away from (9 wins) than grow past it.

And this is where I think most people disagree, and will continue to until Bo actually does regress down to a 6-win season or less.

Agree... because if he wins 10-11 or 12 games in a year some will just right if off as dumb luck, easy schedule, winning in spite of him...bla bla bla......

Thus,

The problem isn't Bo. The problem is people's inconsistent and unfair expectations.

I don't think it's an accident that we have a coach who's knows for outbursts and a team that appears to not get a lot of benefit of the doubt on whether or not a flag is thrown.

Don't forget that it's Bo's fault that the same crew that did this:

Also penalized Nebraska players for defending themselves after these:

But you know, it's bo's fault.

:rolleyes:

Thus,

The problem isn't Bo. The problem is people's inconsistent and unfair expectations.

kind of a straw man here. these fans that will always complain. i guess we will just have to wait and see next year after bo wins 11-12 games.

Thus,

Where are you guys getting that?

The 'problem', as it were, is Bo hasn't either done better or worse, so it's hard to project which one he's closer to. And yes, if he does better, it's likely to buy him only so much time, not literally anointing him forever. While if he does worse, he's likely to get canned immediately without a write-off, at this point in his HC career.

That's not unfair.