Phil Steele says no dice for Huskers in AP

I think Nebraska kind of got the benefit of the doubt for a couple years after that 2009-10 peak.

+1. I think the end of the relative goodwill and benefit of the doubt from the AP voters disappeared after the 2010 A&M game. We took a #8 ranking into that game, after losing earlier in the season to a dumpster fire of a Texas team when we were ranked 5th.

We were supposed to stomp that horrendous Texas team to the ground. recovered pretty well from that in the rankings, probably because convincing wins over way-too-generously ranked Mizzou and OSU squads soothed things over after UT, but A&M sealed it. Fool me once...

Honeymoon/healing from the 2007 debacle/incredible defense and a strong 2009 season. There were concerns prior to 2010 but they were a lot more muted until that season unfolded the way it did.

I think voters have a greater respect for teams with a dominant defense, knowing you'll never be far out of a game, and can knock off a top-5 team with some regularity. We haven't had that defense in a few years now. We're just as likely to have 70+ hung on us as we are to beat a top-10 opponent. Those days should be over.

• Fire 3

Honeymoon/healing from the 2007 debacle/incredible defense and a strong 2009 season. There were concerns prior to 2010 but they were a lot more muted until that season unfolded the way it did.

I think voters have a greater respect for teams with a dominant defense, knowing you'll never be far out of a game, and can knock off a top-5 team with some regularity. We haven't had that defense in a few years now. We're just as likely to have 70+ hung on us as we are to beat a top-10 opponent. Those days should be over.

Agree 100%. Voters seem to have more respect for teams that win 28-7 vs 56-35.

In no way was that the birth of the side show for Bo. It started when he was here the first time and was again highlighted in the VATech game. How short some memories are.

I wasn't saying that is when Bo all of a sudden started getting heated on sidelines, I remember 2003. I was referring to the ESPN's Bo sideshow, as in that's when ESPN started dedicating an entire separate "Bo Cam" on him at all times during our subsequent games. It's so irritating whenever a penalty gets called against us and the reflex speed in which they cut to the split screen of the official and Bo, waiting for a reaction.

I couldn't care less about A&M game. It was a Big 12 "f#*k you" job from Beebe because Nebraska was leaving and they were trying to keep Aggie happy and persuade them not to leave. Hell, the refs even told the staff they were gonna get hosed.

what?

What didn't you understand?

I am pretty sure sd'sker is referring to the notion that you believe(or have proof) that the refs colluded to make the game bad for the Huskers and then proceeded to tell the coaches that was what was going to happen.

• Fire 1

I am pretty sure sd'sker is referring to the notion that you believe(or have proof) that the refs colluded to make the game bad for the Huskers and then proceeded to tell the coaches that was what was going to happen.

precisely, but also the notion that they also did it to appease aTm. as if a win against neb. would somehow sway them to refuse any hard offer the SEC was about to make to them.

precisely, but also the notion that they also did it to appease aTm. as if a win against neb. would somehow sway them to refuse any hard offer the SEC was about to make to them.

Yeah that's the most ridiculous excuse for a loss by a team that had BCS aspirations where the offense was nonexistent and couldn't keep laundry off the field I've maybe ever heard.

One day I'll hear about the losses in the Bo Pelini era where there weren't outside influences where it was impossible for him to win.

"Did any of those officials tell you during the game you were going to get jobbed?'' I asked.

"Yes,'' Pelini said.

What did they tell you?

"I won't say,'' he said. "But it was highway robbery. An absolute joke. I've moved on.''

http://www.cbssports...156338/31035411

Read this one

- Five of seven opponents are penalized FEWER TIMES when playing against Nebraska.

- Six of seven opponents are penalized for LESS total yardage when playing Nebraska.

- Six of seven opponents have a Penalty Score that is DRAGGED DOWN when including the Nebraska game.

Parrish says in his final paragraph above that he doesn’t think there’s an all out conspiracy by the Big XII, Dan Beebe, and the referees to get Nebraska. The favoritism shown to Nebraska’s Big XII opponents seems to disagree.

http://www.thevictor...ska-conspiracy/

There was also a thread on either texags or the aggie scout site (can't remember) discussing this officiating (and how A&M was getting the same treatment) the following year when A&M got hosed on their way out. I'll see if I can find it, but there were either some overly detailed stories being told, or there was some modicum of truth to it.

edited for quote clarity

• Fire 1

Yeah that's the most ridiculous excuse for a loss by a team that had BCS aspirations where the offense was nonexistent and couldn't keep laundry off the field I've maybe ever heard.

One day I'll hear about the losses in the Bo Pelini era where there weren't outside influences where it was impossible for him to win.

One day, you'll make an actual argument that isn't propped up by a strawman.

• Fire 1