Rancher vs. Feds

There was a clip that ran on the Daily Show where one of those militia guys was saying they were planning on putting the women out in front, so they would get shot first when the gunfire started. Because that would make the gov look bad by shooting the human shields.

There was a clip that ran on the Daily Show where one of those militia guys was saying they were planning on putting the women out in front, so they would get shot first when the gunfire started. Because that would make the gov look bad by shooting the human shields.

Patriot.

• Fire 1

I agree. It should have been dealt with long ago. Better late than never, I suppose.

Apparently they've been trying to settle this peacefully either in court of with a civil agreement for 15-20 years. So it's been ongoing. But clearly Bundy had no intention of continuing to steal the usage of land that wasn't his and no intention of paying the back rent and fines, so they had to start rounding up his cattle as a last resort.

They are both wrong in my opinion.

1st of all, he shouldn't have been grazing his cattle on federal land. Secondly, the gov't should have shown some sack when this first started happening, and just send a representative, let him know he's got 30 days to get his livestock off of federal property. The fact that the gov't let this linger, just empowered this guy even more. Nobody was stopping him, so what he thought he was doing wasn't wrong...

Sure, it was the government's fault.

1st of all, he shouldn't have been grazing his cattle on federal land. Secondly, the gov't should have shown some sack when this first started happening, and just send a representative, let him know he's got 30 days to get his livestock off of federal property. The fact that the gov't let this linger, just empowered this guy even more. Nobody was stopping him, so what he thought he was doing wasn't wrong...

I'm not sure how much more clearly I can put that...

• Fire 1

Then why include the second part? That's almost exactly the "well if she wasn't wearing slutty clothes, she wouldn't have gotten raped" argument. It's looking to spread blame in a situation where no such spreading is warranted.

They were. You don't just go in guns blazing, they have been fighting this for 20 years through the appropriate channels that didn't involve rounding up an individual's property and reinforcing their efforts against a militia with swat teams. That part was a last resort.

Patriot.

Or AQ?

They were?

My idea of, 20 years ago, sending in a BLM representative, informing the rancher he's got 30 days to remove his cattle from gov't property is "guns blazing"?

Letting this problem go on, just shows laziness by the BLM.

They tried something like that . . .

Bundy has repeatedly been fined for grazing his cattle on the protected land, fines he has not paid since 1993. The Bureau of Land Management, which oversees about 800 grazing areas in Nevada, responded by revoking his permit. Bundy has not applied for a new one.

. . .

1998: A federal judge issues a permanent injunction against Bundy, ordering him to remove his cattle from the federal lands. He lost an appeal to the San Francisco 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. He represented himself.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/04/15/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-long-fight-between-cliven-bundy-and-the-federal-government/

There's no way Bundy didn't know what he was doing was wrong, let's just clear that up right now. You can make an argument for not taking more direct action for the last 10-15 years as empowering him, especially with his anti-government views, but there is no argument for him not knowing his actions were in the wrong (or maybe more accurately, illegal).