Autonomy for the B1G, Big 12, ACC, SEC, Pac12?

Branno

The power conferences — ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC — are expected to gain autonomy from the rest of Division I. Essentially, this means that those conferences will be able to approve rules that only apply to themselves.

The schools in the Big 5 are richer than their smaller Division I counterparts, and therefore, they have different interests. The bigger conferences have long fought the smaller ones to be able to provide athletes with more benefits, but were unable to do so, because small schools that cannot afford these additional benefits had a larger portion of the votes.

Each rule approved by the Big 5 can then apply to smaller conferences in one of two ways.

Let's say the power conferences adopt a full-cost scholarship and that this counts as permissible legislation. Smaller conferences can then individually choose whether they want to adopt it. This way, no conference is forced to adopt something it doesn't think it can afford, but the bigger schools are not held back.

Actionable legislation would still have to pass a 27-conference voting majority before it applies to the smaller conferences. As John Infante explains, "actionable legislation would be where the five conference want to limit themselves and include personnel limits, time demands on athletes, transfer rules, financial aid cancellation, recruiting contact, and pre-enrollment support for prospects."

http://www.sbnation....obannon-kessler

This is on the agenda for the next NCAA board meeting.

If the NCAA accepts this to happen, there should be rules in place that these power conferences can only play each other in Non-Con games or pay minimum 7 figure contracts to the other schools to go to their place to play.

If the super 5 break off, I would hope this rule would be put in place. If that would happen, the world would change for almost every single team in those conferences. It would also have to change drastically for most of the fans who think the only way their team has a successful season is an undefeated season where they win by two scores.

Their schedules instantly become drastically harder.

Ultimately, it would make for better football. However, I still don't support major changes in player compensation.

If the NCAA accepts this to happen, there should be rules in place that these power conferences can only play each other in Non-Con games or pay minimum 7 figure contracts to the other schools to go to their place to play.

If the super 5 break off, I would hope this rule would be put in place. If that would happen, the world would change for almost every single team in those conferences. It would also have to change drastically for most of the fans who think the only way their team has a successful season is an undefeated season where they win by two scores.

Their schedules instantly become drastically harder.

Ultimately, it would make for better football. However, I still don't support major changes in player compensation.

I also like this idea.

IF the universities decided to pay players (which I am against) I wouldn't be totally opposed to this idea,

Create a tier system that pays a "bonus" to student-athletes that actually become "star" athletes. Ones like say, Suh. who obviously helped the University generate income by his play on the field and the promotion of selling jerseys etc.

You could have a 3 tier system that the universities could create before the student started their eligibility. All "major" universities work on the same exact tier system. When that student graduates, or declares for the NFL the University would pay that former student a lump sum.

Each tier would have its own pay grade based on the requirements set forth by the Major 5.

I would expect this to pass. If it does not, they next step is more or less the nuclear option of the Power 5 breaking away. Which is great for football, and between iffy and a epic disaster for the other sports. And beyond a disaster for every school not in a Power 5. There would be one hell of a last flurry of expansion if it goes down this road. Its kind of gotten down to the big boys have had enough of Directional State U having veto power over all rules and regulations for the guys who drive the whole thing.

Currently there are 65 teams in the Power 5 conferences, fewer than the field for the NCAA Tournaments. The NCAA runs the championship events for every other sport. A full break away really means no competing with teams outside the 65, as they very well could be under different rule sets. And the Power 5 would need to form a new governing body to create and run the championships for sports in general.

• 2 weeks later...

What does Notre Dame, BYU, Army and Navy do at this point? ND essentially tied themselves to the ACC but thats not set in stone if something like this happens. The BIG 12 is wide open for expansion and had better get to it before this thing happens.

What does Notre Dame, BYU, Army and Navy do at this point? ND essentially tied themselves to the ACC but thats not set in stone if something like this happens. The BIG 12 is wide open for expansion and had better get to it before this thing happens.

I bet if this does get passed through. That Army and Navy stay independent or join a smaller conference, BYU joins the Big 12. Well Notre Dame would stay hard headed and remain just the way they are.