White House Wants to Lift Ban on Interstate Tolls

If you are a Nebraska resident, you could then theoretically get a percentage refund on what you paid in, due to the regular state taxes owed.

I'm not sure if they could do that . . . I don't think that a state can specifically tax out of state people/goods/services without the same tax rate applying within the state.

I am sure there are loopholes. Just because it has a different name doesn't mean it holds a different purpose.

Not really . . . equal protection and all that.

If you are a Nebraska resident, you could then theoretically get a percentage refund on what you paid in, due to the regular state taxes owed.

I'm not sure if they could do that . . . I don't think that a state can specifically tax out of state people/goods/services without the same tax rate applying within the state.

I am sure there are loopholes. Just because it has a different name doesn't mean it holds a different purpose.

Not really . . .

So you add in the toll knowing ADT volumes and expected revenue from out of state vehicles, everyone who fills out a Nebraska resident tax form gets a thanks for being a citizen refund. Maybe your vehicle liscense tax in Nebraska is reduced. How do you think we ended up with the exorbitant tax code we currently have?

So you add in the toll knowing ADT volumes and expected revenue from out of state vehicles, everyone who fills out a Nebraska resident tax form gets a thanks for being a citizen refund. Maybe your vehicle liscense tax in Nebraska is reduced. How do you think we ended up with the exorbitant tax code we currently have?

So it wouldn't depend at all on whether you paid tolls? Sure. Nebraska could give a flat $100 credit to each citizen . . . but that's not what you were saying. You said that Nebraska residents would be given a percentage back of what they paid in tolls.

Those are two quite different things.

So it wouldn't depend at all on whether you paid tolls? Sure. Nebraska could give a flat $100 credit to each citizen . . . but that's not what you were saying. You said that Nebraska residents would be given a percentage back of what they paid in tolls.

Those are two quite different things.

Yeah, I hadn't thought through how the money would specifically be given back to a state citizen, but you see my point on how it can happen.

Toll roads usually have a quick card thing that you can fill up ahead of time, right? Maybe they could allow Nebraska residents to get one of those, while showing a valid Nebraska driver's license, and fill it up at a discounted rate.

Nope . . . equal protection again . . .

Toll roads usually have a quick card thing that you can fill up ahead of time, right?

Kansas has those, KCards. They are quite handy.

Seems like an antiquated system of collecting tolls. In Colorado you get a transponder and it automatically debits your account for every toll you drive by. When your account gets low enough, it reloads from your credit card on file. Really don't have to think about it or plan at all, it just happens.

For the people who don't have a transponder, the system sends you a bill based on your license plate. The rate for license plate tolls are higher than the rates billed with transponders. This would not seem to provide "equal protection" as has been thrown around here, but it sure does happen this way and it definitely favors the locals who have transponders.

Toll roads usually have a quick card thing that you can fill up ahead of time, right?

Kansas has those, KCards. They are quite handy.

Seems like an antiquated system of collecting tolls. In Colorado you get a transponder and it automatically debits your account for every toll you drive by. When your account gets low enough, it reloads from your credit card on file. Really don't have to think about it or plan at all, it just happens.

For the people who don't have a transponder, the system sends you a bill based on your license plate. The rate for license plate tolls are higher than the rates billed with transponders. This would not seem to provide "equal protection" as has been thrown around here, but it sure does happen this way and it definitely favors the locals who have transponders.

How much are the transponders here in CO?

That would not violate the equal protection clause. Anyone (presumably) can get the transponders, right?

How much are the transponders here in CO?

The transponder/sticker is free. You must provide a credit card and I believe it opens you up with $35 in your toll account. When it drops below about $10, it reloads to $35. I might be off a bit on the amounts but that's close.

That would not violate the equal protection clause. Anyone (presumably) can get the transponders, right?

Yes, anyone can get one.

• Fire 1