I never used a tow truck service until yesterday. My son and my son's "buddies" (bad crowd IMO) decided to venture a "joy ride" in my secondary vehicle (2009 Chevy Aveo). My son's friend was driving :facepalm: . Guess what, speed trap (50mph in 30mph zone) and further police information, expired driver license, one warrant and borderline DUI (.08) . Norman police decided to arrest him and impounded my car. Oh well kids are kids I suppose. I picked up my chevy today ........... $100 fee to release impound car AND THE TOW TRUCK CO. FORKED OVER $225, total of $325 !!!! Yes, $225 !!!! Fair price or shafted ?

AA Tow Service receipt:

Hookup - $112.50

Dolly - $30

Storage - $54 (less than one day!)

Fuel Sercharge - $22.50

Sale Tax - $4.47

Towing/impounding is quite the extortion racket.

But WTF were you thinking letting your son's shady buddy go joyriding in your own car? That's what you get, man.

I know it :bang:facepalm:

And my Aveo mostly unused. Only long trips. Just over 16,000m total odometer divided by 5 years.......3200m annually!

They have to be on call to respond anytime to tow DUI's such as your son's friend. My question is: Why didn't your son just drive the car back. Normally, an officer will allow someone who "hasn't" been drinking to drive the car even though the driver is arrested.

Maybe kickbacks too, Is that the normal business in Oklahoma?

They have to be on call to respond anytime to tow DUI's such as your son's friend. My question is: Why didn't your son just drive the car back. Normally, an officer will allow someone who "hasn't" been drinking to drive the car even though the driver is arrested.

Maybe kickbacks too, Is that the normal business in Oklahoma?

At the time, "friend" was all alone driver and no passengers because my son and son's buddies dropped off OU frat party (chicks chasing no doubt). I think he ("friend") was stocked up a couple of 6-packs or case(s) via 7-11 or liquor store trip but unfortunately speed trap. UPDATE: He thought he was sober enough (<.08) thus "designator driver". Meanwhile, my son was already drunk (OU party) thus his plan was return my Chevy trip and then exchange with his own clunker car in my driveway. Actually '80-'90ish pickup.....broken windshield, body rust, faded color, worn tires, etc.

Timeframe:

My Chevy trip from my garage to OU frat: Driver - my son

Return trip from frat house to my garage: Driver - my son's friend

.....supposedly

Just a week ago our new car with one day old in transits (dmv closed sundays) was parked on the street in front of our apartment (legal parking) and was towed. We got it the same day and it cost us 450 cash and were told if it was seen on the street again it would be gone for good. The money we had to plate it was used on getting it out of the impound so we had to borrow my mom's car and keep the car at her place for the next week til we got paid again. Just sketchy all the way around. I get the in transits were a day old but they towed it at 3am when it wasn't being driven so it's not like we were driving it illegally.

Just a week ago our new car with one day old in transits (dmv closed sundays) was parked on the street in front of our apartment (legal parking) and was towed. We got it the same day and it cost us 450 cash and were told if it was seen on the street again it would be gone for good. The money we had to plate it was used on getting it out of the impound so we had to borrow my mom's car and keep the car at her place for the next week til we got paid again. Just sketchy all the way around. I get the in transits were a day old but they towed it at 3am when it wasn't being driven so it's not like we were driving it illegally.

whoa, 450 cash.

AA tow service in Norman was a fly by night business and AA "office" is a run down shack, 100 sq. feet area, one door without windows, storage area equivalent to junk yard including four feet tall weeds plus one female clerk who was a greasy hair, unfit dress and at least 250 pounds.........white trash guaranteed. And $225 cash only. I got a debit card (check account) but only "cash only" payment. Why?

They charge exorbitant rates and demand cash only payment because they can. Credit card processing fees can cost them 2% to 4%, an expense they may be willing to sustain for customers who have a choice but certainly not when they can legally hold your vehicle hostage. It sucks but I can't say I blame them.

I know people who have been charged similar charges for similar type towing.

Instead of concentrating on the towing charges, I would make the kids pay the charges and try like hell to make them realize how absolutely stupid they have been in life. If they keep doing those stupid things then it's going to keep costing them ridiculous amounts of money.