First Look at the New Satanic Monument Being Built for Oklahoma Statehouse

In January the Satanic Temple announced plans to erect a monument glorifying the Dark Lord on the front lawn of the Oklahoma Statehouse. An Indiegogo campaign was launched with what seemed like a somewhat lofty goal of $20,000, but by the time donations ended almost $30,000 had been raised. Now an artist trained in classical sculpture is toiling away in New York, crafting a Baphomet figure sitting beneath a pentagram and flanked by two children gazing upward in loyalty. When it is finished, it will be cast in bronze and, the Satanists hope, eventually displayed in Oklahoma.

The statue is a direct response to the state's installation of a Ten Commandments monument outside the Capitol in 2012. State Representative Mike Ritze paid for the controversial statue with his own money, and therefore it was considered a donation and OK to place on government property. Following that line of reasoning, the Satanic Temple submitted a formal application for their monument.

http://www.vice.com/read/heres-the-first-look-at-the-new-satanic-monument-being-built-for-oklahomas-statehouse

Screen-Shot-20f14-05-01-at-1-22-20-PM.jpg

Hmmmm. Was this an actual satanist group or really a group of atheists?

EDIT: IIRC Satanists as we think of them are usually LaVeyan Satanists who are atheistic and don't view Satan as an actual entity but you know what I mean. Are these actual atheistic Satanists or just regular atheists throwing out a straw man statue?

EDIT: IIRC Satanists as we think of them are usually LaVeyan Satanists who are atheistic and don't view Satan as an actual entity but you know what I mean. Are these actual atheistic Satanists or just regular atheists throwing out a straw man statue?

Either way, is it bad if it brings a smile to my face? Because it did...

Well I'm just wondering because if they're atheists I think there are better ways of getting what they want, this is just rocking the boat for the sake of it. I do find it funny and would enjoy the reaction it would evoke but I don't think it's that productive.

It was a Satanic group out of NYC that made this happen.

It was a Satanic group out of NYC that made this happen.

Oh how nice of them taking their time and money to meddle in flyover country. :facepalm:

But wouldn't someone who worships Satan end up going to hell? Is that the point? Doesn't seem like a good plan. :facepalm:

I don't think they believe in Satan in the biblical sense of the devil and hell.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this thing go up for the hilarity of it.

Although the best real-world outcome is that this forces the Ten Commandments statue to come down because holy sh#t, is "separation of church and state" a hard concept to understand? Apparently in the red state bible belt, it is

• Fire 2

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this thing go up for the hilarity of it.

Although the best real-world outcome is that this forces the Ten Commandments statue to come down because holy sh#t, is "separation of church and state" a hard concept to understand? Apparently in the red state bible belt, it is

The Ten Commandments weren't put at the capitol building because they are Christian symbols, tschu . . . they were put there because they're laws!