Eichorst statement on Bo

All I'm saying is, giving Bo the out of "not having to win a conference championship" and still having a good year is a luxury no other coach since Devaney has had. Ever.

I don't think I ever said he didn't have to win one. But to win one, you need to improve in aspects of the game, right? Some things take time. Your only as good as the players you recruit. We look better on paper, and on film now, because Bo's most recent recruiting classes are on the field. The ones he was able to recruit after he was able to show what he can and wants to do on the field.

Armstrong, Gregory, Mitchell, Stanton, Cross, Valentine, Newby, Darlington and Adams just to name a few who take pride in wearing these uniforms. They also bring a level of competitiveness that we really haven't had before

What? honestly?

Something wrong? Honestly. Please, tell me why I am wrong.

Suh, Frazier, Crouch, Frost, Green, Wistrom, Peter, Peter, Helu, Crick, Steinkuhler, Steinkuhler, Burkhead, Ruud, Taylor........should I go on?

Please continue blabbing on without understand what is being discussed. I really think your just trying to find something to debate about. Whats new I guess? A goat has a higher level of comprehension than you do right now.

• Fire 1

All I'm saying is, giving Bo the out of "not having to win a conference championship" and still having a good year is a luxury no other coach since Devaney has had. Ever.

I don't think I ever said he didn't have to win one. But to win one, you need to improve in aspects of the game, right? Some things take time. Your only as good as the players you recruit. We look better on paper, and on film now, because Bo's most recent recruiting classes are on the field. The ones he was able to recruit after he was able to show what he can and wants to do on the field.

Armstrong, Gregory, Mitchell, Stanton, Cross, Valentine, Newby, Darlington and Adams just to name a few who take pride in wearing these uniforms. They also bring a level of competitiveness that we really haven't had before

What? honestly?

Something wrong? Honestly. Please, tell me why I am wrong.

Suh, Frazier, Crouch, Frost, Green, Wistrom, Peter, Peter, Helu, Crick, Steinkuhler, Steinkuhler, Burkhead, Ruud, Taylor........should I go on?

Please continue blabbing on without understand what is being discussed. I really think your just trying to find something to debate about. Whats new I guess? A goat has a higher level of comprehension than you do right now.

Does this same goat have a grasp of grammar?

Look, it looks like, in this thread, Bo Pelini is only being compared to himself and Bill Callahan, which are the two easiest things in Nebraska since 1968 to be better than. That's all. Carry on.

I'd love a Big Ten Championship this year. Who wouldn't? And having won a Big 10 Championship, Nebraska would likely be in play for a National Championship.

Wouldn't that be great?

Absolutely. But I wouldn't demand a Conference Championship this year from Bo Pelini any more than I would have from the dream coach we didn't get to replace him last year.

No more teamwide meltdowns. No more Minnesota or Iowa or Wyoming games for that matter. Fewer turnovers. Contuining improvement on D. Team plays hard, has fun, make entertaining football. Loses a couple games to good Big 10 competition, including the CCG, but maybe by one touchdown instead of seven. Of course I'd take that improvement. Who wouldn't?

Nothing less than a conference championship is a recipe for disappointment.

The possibility of a good season that doesn't end with a Big 10 Championship has got to be on the table. With all due respect to Devaney and Osborne, I wouldn't call that a "luxury" in any sense of the word.

The team — and Bo — remain under plenty of pressure to do better than last year.

Let's measure it one game at a time.

Guess I'll try it a third time......

Eichorst says "we're lucky to have Bo".

Ok, fine. Does he mean it?

I can't tell you if he means it, but he's right.

If you honestly think Nebraska can't do better, and that they'd absolutely do worse if Bo moved on....well, I guess that's just sad for you.

You could answer my question about the eight teams I mentioned too, by the way.

Your point is entirely irrelevant. Until Nebraska under Bo falls under the threshold that lets the AD make a change, you're discussing hypothetical scenarios and calling fantasies, fact.

Guess I'll try it a third time......

Eichorst says "we're lucky to have Bo".

Ok, fine. Does he mean it?

I can't tell you if he means it, but he's right.

If you honestly think Nebraska can't do better, and that they'd absolutely do worse if Bo moved on....well, I guess that's just sad for you.

You could answer my question about the eight teams I mentioned too, by the way.

Your point is entirely irrelevant. Until Nebraska under Bo falls under the threshold that lets the AD make a change, you're discussing hypothetical scenarios and calling fantasies, fact.

If that's not allowed here, I guess we can lock the "Gregory going #1" and "Ameer for Heisman" threads then.

• Fire 1

Ok, let's back up,

Rutgers

Florida Atlantic

McNeese St

Illinois

Purdue

Fresno St

Iowa

Northwestern

--which of those shouldn't be an "expected victory" with the commitment to winning Nebraska currently employs?

Red+Herring.gif

Awfully afraid to answer a simple question.

• Fire 2

Ok, let's back up,

Rutgers

Florida Atlantic

McNeese St

Illinois

Purdue

Fresno St

Iowa

Northwestern

--which of those shouldn't be an "expected victory" with the commitment to winning Nebraska currently employs?

Red+Herring.gif
Awfully afraid to answer a simple question.
They do it to me every time. You try to have a discussion with them, give em some simple questions just to justify each others logic, get a feel for where one another is coming from, they acknowledge nothing. I've asked multiple questions several times in arguments with Saunders, TheSker, QMany, or Landlord, they never answer the questions. They just point fingers, say you are a troll, or go to the woodshed where they get to call you really naughty words.

These same people will bitch how this place is changing, they'll complain constantly, but they refuse to feed the actual discussion of any topic. Theyd rather resort to finger pointing and name calling......boo hoo why is this place like this? Gimme a break.

• Fire 3

Saunders,

In some peoples minds, he has fallen below the standards, most on this board did after the Iowa meltdown. Winning for any program is important, and Bo has done well with the numbers. But his actions, his improvement of players, recruiting the right kids for his program are still under question. His total lack of concern for recruiting his first two years is falling under the standards of one of the worst coaches we have ever had.

This year is the year for Bo. He seems to have talent capable of playing for a CC team, not a MNC game. I can see where Polo is coming from on meeting the standards of past elite coaches, Devaney and Osborne. He does seem to be given a little lee way due to Callahan. I know I am guilty of expecting less. Again not demanding, expecting.

Everyone on this board wants this program to return to what it was 20 years ago. Not likely to happen, but just drawing a line in the sand and saying 9 wins is good enough is not the answer either. I know you want better than what we have seen. My guess is that if we see the Wyomings, the SDSU, Iowa, Minnesota games go away, we will see Polo's attitude change. But if those games continue, we will see a lot more develop those same attitudes. The program is pretty well split now as to Bo. A lot of things need to change this year. A good number on here expect them to. I for one. But if they don't, same old same, it will be time for a change.

A defensive coordinator is as good as his talent. Charlie McBride was considered one of the best in the business after the mid-90's, but who's job was being heavily scrutinized the decade before that.

Tidbit about McBride from an article I read....."McBride still has no idea why Osborne contacted him, though he thinks Kush might have recommended him. “I need to ask Tom some time,” said McBride.Though he wasn’t looking to leave Wisconsin, he was willing to listen to Osborne.His wife, Debbie, will verify this, according to McBride. On the day after Thanksgiving in 1976, they watched the Nebraska-Oklahoma game on television. The Sooners won 20-17, throwing only two passes (both producing big plays) and scoring with 38 seconds left. But that isn’t the point.“I said to Debbie, ‘I’d like to work for that guy (Osborne) someday,’ ” he said.So Osborne found a willing candidate. After the initial interview, “Tom, of course, took me to a high-class restaurant (in Miami), Denney’s,” McBride said. The deal was sealed there.McBride replaced Kiffin as defensive line coach, and Lance Van Zandt - who came from Kansas - replaced Powers as secondary coach. Van Zandt also became the defensive coordinator.He left Nebraska following the 1980 season to coach the secondary for the New Orleans Saints, under coach Bum Phillips. Though McBride called the defenses in 1981, he didn’t have the coordinator’s title until 1982. “Tom didn’t want coordinators,” said McBride said. “Tom didn’t like titles, period.”But someone had to be in charge. And McBride was in charge of Nebraska’s defense for the next 18 seasons, staying on for two seasons to facilitate the transition from Osborne to Frank Solich.The Blackshirts ranked in the top 10 nationally in total defense in 11 of those seasons and in scoring defense 10 times. His final defense in 1999 ranked fourth in total defense (252.3), sixth in rushing defense (77.1), second in passing defense (175.2) and third in scoring defense (12.5)."Boy, some of you come down on people for saying Bo isn't good enough? Wow!? Top ten in scoring defense 11 of McBride's 18 years as DC. Top ten scoring defense ten times in 18 seasons. So which decade was it he struggled so mightily? His final defense in 1999 was fourth in total defense and third in scoring defense in the country.Enough of this crap people. I hate the fact that we drag McBrides name into an argument to try to prove a point. The loyalty to Bo almost totally outshines the loyalty to Nebraska at that point and you just sound like a damn phony. McBride is a legend and his defenses were my favorite defenses I've ever watched in my lifetime. He consistently represented Blackshirt football and his teams played with passion. If McBrides job was scrutinized heavily as you say, then those fans are the ones with the problem. Forget today's fans. If today's fans held Bo and his DC's to that kind of standard, Bo and his DC's would be far more heavily scrutinized than they have ever been.Why do some of you have such a hard time admitting that Bo's defenses haven't quite lived up to expectations and just leave it at that instead of dragging McBrides name into it or blaming the players. Would you go out on a limb right now and tell me this......can we all agree Bo's current defense has plenty, PLENTY of talent on it? I say most everyone can acknowledge that. So we can expect Bo to field a highly rated defense no? What kind of rating would be acceptable at seasons end given the amount of talent we have? Also, what will the excuse be if he doesn't do so? I see no reason, with the talent and the youth f that talent, that Bo should never field a defense that resembles the poor play and statistical failures of what we've seen the last 3 seasons. Is that reasonable? I feel it is.

I asked multiple questions in this post, which I thought I made a well thought out, honest contribution to the discussion where I disagreed with theSker. To my knowledge I never got a response? They were reasonable questions I thought. I just get tired of everyone changing their expectations to fit the scenario "after the fact". Kind of easy to tell me how you expect things to go after everything has already happened. It's the excuses surrounding this program year in and year out from the same people. I gladly pose the questions above to TheSker, QMany, saunders45 or anyone else for that matter. Just to get a feel of what kind of standard we approaching this season with.

Eichorst supports Bo Pelini

That turned into NEBRASKA SHOULD EASILY WIN 8-10 GAMES THIS YEAR AND A DIFFERENT COACH WOULD!!!!

THAT is what people are unhappy about concerning the direction of the board. And for the rexord Polo, Nebraska should win those games and more, I expect them to.

Saunders,In some peoples minds, he has fallen below the standards, most on this board did after the Iowa meltdown. Winning for any program is important, and Bo has done well with the numbers. But his actions, his improvement of players, recruiting the right kids for his program are still under question. His total lack of concern for recruiting his first two years is falling under the standards of one of the worst coaches we have ever had.This year is the year for Bo. He seems to have talent capable of playing for a CC team, not a MNC game. I can see where Polo is coming from on meeting the standards of past elite coaches, Devaney and Osborne. He does seem to be given a little lee way due to Callahan. I know I am guilty of expecting less. Again not demanding, expecting.Everyone on this board wants this program to return to what it was 20 years ago. Not likely to happen, but just drawing a line in the sand and saying 9 wins is good enough is not the answer either. I know you want better than what we have seen. My guess is that if we see the Wyomings, the SDSU, Iowa, Minnesota games go away, we will see Polo's attitude change. But if those games continue, we will see a lot more develop those same attitudes. The program is pretty well split now as to Bo. A lot of things need to change this year. A good number on here expect them to. I for one. But if they don't, same old same, it will be time for a change.

He needs to win at least a conference championship. Ultimately. Not getting gored against Ohio St, Wisconsin, Michigan st and our marquee OOC opponent would be nice too.

Eichorst supports Bo Pelini

That turned into NEBRASKA SHOULD EASILY WIN 8-10 GAMES THIS YEAR AND A DIFFERENT COACH WOULD!!!!

THAT is what people are unhappy about concerning the direction of the board. And for the rexord Polo, Nebraska should win those games and more, I expect them to.

Please. This was not a "Eichorst supports Bo" thread. It was a "we're lucky to have Bo" thread. I just thought I'd ask the question "why"? Nebraska has practically 8 gimmie wins next season, in my opinion it's his record against Miami, Wisconsin, Michigan st and what ever they earn to play in beyond that. Those are the games he's paid three million dollars to win, not the goddamn Florida Atlantic Freaking Owls.

Good god, I'll never understand the need for some on this board to have zero debate or differing opinions If all you want is positive, praise only threads, go friend EZ--e on the social media of your choice and bring a moist towel.

• Fire 2

Saunders,In some peoples minds, he has fallen below the standards, most on this board did after the Iowa meltdown. Winning for any program is important, and Bo has done well with the numbers. But his actions, his improvement of players, recruiting the right kids for his program are still under question. His total lack of concern for recruiting his first two years is falling under the standards of one of the worst coaches we have ever had.This year is the year for Bo. He seems to have talent capable of playing for a CC team, not a MNC game. I can see where Polo is coming from on meeting the standards of past elite coaches, Devaney and Osborne. He does seem to be given a little lee way due to Callahan. I know I am guilty of expecting less. Again not demanding, expecting.Everyone on this board wants this program to return to what it was 20 years ago. Not likely to happen, but just drawing a line in the sand and saying 9 wins is good enough is not the answer either. I know you want better than what we have seen. My guess is that if we see the Wyomings, the SDSU, Iowa, Minnesota games go away, we will see Polo's attitude change. But if those games continue, we will see a lot more develop those same attitudes. The program is pretty well split now as to Bo. A lot of things need to change this year. A good number on here expect them to. I for one. But if they don't, same old same, it will be time for a change.

He needs to win at least a conference championship. Ultimately.

This is only missing your definition of "ultimately."

Good god, I'll never understand the need for some on this board to have zero debate or differing opinions If all you want is positive, praise only threads, go friend EZ--e on the social media of your choice and bring a moist towel.

Yay more false dichotomies. If we disagree with your tired routine then we only want everyone to agree and be positive!

It was a "we're lucky to have Bo" thread. I just thought I'd ask the question "why"?

Why?

Because of things like his press conference after the 2011 Penn State game, where he didn't think the game should ever have been played considering the tragedy that had just come to light and how he thought it was a chance to educate and have proper perspective. Further, because of whatever role he played, even if it was as indirect as hiring an assistant like Ron Brown, that led to the pre-game prayer with both teams joining together and sharing in support and solidarity towards something way bigger than football.

Because of being part of the featured entertainment at an event that raised almost $2 million for pediatric brain cancer research.

Because of what Andy Hoffman has to say about him - "When Coach Bo and his wife Mary Pat agreed to serve as honorary co-chairs for our first Team Jack Gala two months ago (in Lincoln), it meant so much to our family,” Andy said. “Coach Bo represents everything that’s good in college football. He has a deep commitment to serve others and does an amazing job of using his platform to impact society in a big and very positive way. Our family is so thankful to be a recipient of his graciousness.”

Because of Jack's TD run that captured the nation, for whatever role he played, but also because he recruits players like Rex Burkhead who Jack calls his best friend and who bridged the distance between the Hoffmans and the Huskers, and Sam Burtch, who is the president of the Uplifting Athletes organization that is raising tens of thousands of dollars towards pediatric brain cancer here in Lincoln, along with tons of other student-athletes that positively and proudly represent our university and state.

^ Because he brought in and is molding guys like Tommy Armstrong, Imani Cross and Ameer Abdullah, who hung out with my cousin at Madonna rehab center. He was ejected in a car accident and never expected to wake up from a coma and have less than a 10% chance of retaining any higher brain function, but beat the odds and had three of his heroes congratulating and cheering him on.

Because after the Sandusky incident, after Jack's TD run, after Nick Pasquale's death, and countless other times, his message has always been the same - those moments and life are bigger than football, and his job is bigger than winning football games. It's educating young men and equipping them for life.

Because despite his shortcomings as a football coach, and there are plenty, he still gets the culture here and embraces it. The kind of culture that kids forego full ride scholarships to be a part of, that recruits honestly and fairly, that produces the friendliest gameday experience anywhere, and that doesn't value winning at all costs but only at the right one. Because like 80% of our team is on the B1G honor roll, and he is committed to treating the term student-athlete seriously.

Because it was his idea for Tom Osborne to lead the team out of the tunnel against Minnesota in his last home game with the university.

Because we will never have to worry about being punished for any kind of scandal as long as Bo is the head coach here.

Because he's not a bad coach. Even if others are definitely better, and could even do better here, he hasn't done poorly and has had good and commendable successes, and also because he isn't happy and is hungry for more.

Because parents often know best, and when has a parent of a player or a recruit ever said anything less than praise for Bo Pelini?

Personally, because he's great entertainment. Whether it's his own jokes or others making jokes at his expense, without Bo there would be no cats, no Faux, maybe even no Tunnel Walk of Shame either.

Because he is loyal. He refuses to ever throw one of his guys under the bus even if they deserve it. Hell, even if it isn't one of his guys, he still does everything he can to help them (Shawn Watson) with whatever they need.

Those are a few reasons I came up with off the top of my head over my lunch break. I, and others, have never claimed that other coaches couldn't be better, or that we would certainly be worse if he wasn't here, or that he is perfect, nor are we ignoring his imperfections. The only thing is that some people are actually capable of enjoying what they have and choosing to appreciate things that you might consider a god-given birthright or a given.

• Fire 6