2014 B1G Baseball Tournament

I don't know what the attendance was last year but there didn't appear to be many people in the stands. What's your guess on attendance this year? Double last year? Triple?

Undershot.....

Michael Bruntz@michaelbruntz 1h

42,055 is your weekly attendance for the B1G Tournament this week counting all games.

Pretty sure, it was said the attendance for the Nebraska/Ohio State game on Wednesday was larger than the combined attendance last year

They wont be changing the dimensions at TD Park anytime soon. They are tightening the laces on the balls next season which should help.

This. Bring back the thunder bats as well.

People think they built TD Ameritrade so big, but fail to realize it is the same size ass Rosenblatt. The biggest factors for the power shortage in the park are the layout being flipped as in batters looking Southeast towards center vs north which brings the wind into play. And honestly the elevation drop plays a bit of a role as well. Then when you add in the new bats you get a tough park to hit it out of.

Hopefully Hirsch has enough in him considering he threw only 2 innings thursday.... He should be able to get in the game early if Austin has any issues. Could be a high scoring game if we aren't seeing aces, similar to most sunday series games.

Yea, I think Hirsch can do something special if he comes in. I would have to think everyone will be available. Plus this game means something for both teams. Nebraska - better chance of hosting a regional/higher seed, Indiana - Chance at keeping a high national seed. I was watching the Florida/Kentucky baseball game, and Kyle Peterson mentioned that he would like to have all postseason games be best two out of three. He said it would only extend the season by a week, plus pitching staffs are managed this way during the season. Hell, the West Coast Conference had replay available in their conference tourney, similar to what the MLB had before this year.

They wont be changing the dimensions at TD Park anytime soon. They are tightening the laces on the balls next season which should help.

IU head coach Tracy Smith:

The Omaha venue has also caused its fair share of criticism among the college baseball community. TD Ameritrade Park has a cavernous field, and has developed a reputation as being a "pitcher's park" (much like San Diego's Petco Park in the MLB). As a result, don't expect to see a repeat of Kyle Schwarber's crazy long bomb against Louisville from last week. This park favors small ball and pitching, both of which end up playing to IU's strengths as a team. Regardless, Smith was one of several B1G managers who complained about TD Ameritrade's field size during a pre-tourney press conference yesterday. Smith's most current complaints occurred during the pre-tournament interviews. He thinks the outfield fences should be moved in.

I concur.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2014/5/21/5737294/omaha-stakes-the-2014-big-ten-baseball-tournament-preview

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2014/05/smith-again-calls-for-shrinking-of-td-ameritrade-park/

This. Bring back the thunder bats as well.

People think they built TD Ameritrade so big, but fail to realize it is the same size ass Rosenblatt. The biggest factors for the power shortage in the park are the layout being flipped as in batters looking Southeast towards center vs north which brings the wind into play. And honestly the elevation drop plays a bit of a role as well. Then when you add in the new bats you get a tough park to hit it out of.

I assume thunder bats means aluminum. If so, no, bring back wooden bats. I miss wooden crack sound and cigar odor.

natural4502.jpgBALLBOYSNatural.jpg

IU head coach Tracy Smith:

The Omaha venue has also caused its fair share of criticism among the college baseball community. TD Ameritrade Park has a cavernous field, and has developed a reputation as being a "pitcher's park" (much like San Diego's Petco Park in the MLB). As a result, don't expect to see a repeat of Kyle Schwarber's crazy long bomb against Louisville from last week. This park favors small ball and pitching, both of which end up playing to IU's strengths as a team. Regardless, Smith was one of several B1G managers who complained about TD Ameritrade's field size during a pre-tourney press conference yesterday. Smith's most current complaints occurred during the pre-tournament interviews. He thinks the outfield fences should be moved in.

I concur.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2014/5/21/5737294/omaha-stakes-the-2014-big-ten-baseball-tournament-preview

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2014/05/smith-again-calls-for-shrinking-of-td-ameritrade-park/

TD Ameritrade dimensions:

LF-335

LC-375

CF-408

RC-375

RF-335

Rosenblatt dimensions:

LF-335

LC-375

CF-408

RC-375

RF-335

They used the same dimensions as Rosenblatt when constructing TD Ameritrade. The reasons for the drop in home runs has more to do with the orientation of the field (the wind usually blows in at TD as opposed to blowing out in Rosenblatt) and reducing the bats' sweet spot to reduce the number of line drive injuries to pitchers. Besides, there are more ways to win than just hitting home runs.

I think the dimensions should be moved in slightly, but let's wait to see how the ball change pans out.

I don't think going back to a home run fest is the solution, but I do think that the current setup isn't largely representative of how the college sport should be played and harshly penalizes some teams worse than others. You could have the best team in the country that happens to be built around power hitting, but have zero chance when you arrive in Omaha. There needs to be options - multiple styles of play that are viable and can win you a championship. That's what makes for an exciting, balanced sport.

I don't know what the attendance was last year but there didn't appear to be many people in the stands. What's your guess on attendance this year? Double last year? Triple?

Undershot.....

Michael Bruntz@michaelbruntz 1h

42,055 is your weekly attendance for the B1G Tournament this week counting all games.

Pretty sure, it was said the attendance for the Nebraska/Ohio State game on Wednesday was larger than the combined attendance last year

Not quite but it was close.