Why did your ancestors come to America?

On my dads side they say they came to America, so one day can watch the Huskers on tv every weekend. Now even though they are fans. I bet it was more they were chased out of Germany by their neighbors. While others packed for them. On my moms side i never really found out when they made the trip from England. I have found out I'm related to Camila Parker Bowles who is married to Prince Charles. But quickly was disowned by the family when we didn't get our wedding invites. But on my moms dad side, knowing how the family is. I'd say they just made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up on a boat. On moms mother side they were already here and making fun of Christopher Columbus. As that side is Native American.

Not sure how or why my family ended up in 'Murica. I only know family history going back a 2-3 generations. My dad's family settled in Western Iowa and Eastern Nebraska around the 1900's. My mom's family is generally around the Lincoln area. My maternal grandmother's family have/had their family farm east of Lincoln, along the Cass/Lancaster County border.

My great-grandpa came to america to escape the law after he *presumably* hurt a guy in a knife fight (that part isn't really spoken about)

not joking

land of opportunity!

My uncle suddenly left Nebraska and moved to Arkansas. Went by another name, too. Nobody mentioned why.

Father side - Swedish/Danish 1880's immigration. Came for the economic opportunities.

Mother side a little more muddled. Scotch/Irish/English some came over as early as revolutionary war some as late as 1880/s. One ancestor drummed for Union in Civil War, his name was Socrates Dodd. Had others that may have been slave owners. My mother's grandfather was a Dr. in Cripple Creek, Co for a time in early 20th century. My grandmother used to tell us about her dad going to dig bullets out of guys that had been in gun fights and then coming home with a bag of gold dust.

Father- Dutch relatives from Holland and South Africa a town in SA with my last name :)

Mother- German Some of her relatives were Messerschmitts :) a mess of messerschmitts :)

Unknown reasons for immigration. Father is 2 generation here and my mother is 3-4 generation

Father- Dutch relatives from Holland and South Africa a town in SA with my last name :)

There is a town or village in Germany with my last name. When I was there I tried finding it, mainly so I can walk around telling people I'm their king. But I couldn't ever find where it was located.

I'm not terribly sure of the reason, I'd assume economic reasons. However, we have documentation of when the land request was petitioned to the King of England. Ol' Cacti now owns 60 acres of that land.

Also noted: no one in our family ever owned slaves (a big deal for a farming family in the south). Not that it's relevant to this conversation, just thought it was interesting.