SI 100 Things we're most excited for 2014: #20

20. Bo Pelini’s quest to get over the hump. Nebraska’s coach has a remarkable track record of consistency. Pelini has lost exactly four games in each of his six seasons at the helm. Following a contentious 2013 campaign — a profanity-laced audiotape of Pelini cursing out the Cornhuskers fan base leaked in September — he’ll look to get back in Lincoln’s good graces by making a charge at the Big Ten title. Nebraska returns all-purpose dynamo Ameer Abdullah, but will break in four new starters on the offensive line. Can the Huskers finally make the move from consistently good to great? – Zac Ellis

http://college-football.si.com/2014/05/23/college-football-100-day-countdown-part-5/

Someone with more time on their hands should go through the O Linemen on the roster and see how much game experience they have, and in which games. I'm guessing we have guys coming in who may not have started last season, but who factored in quite heavily to major games last year.

The O Line is not the greatest of my worries this year. I think we have more experience there than meets the eye.

• Fire 1

Someone with more time on their hands should go through the O Linemen on the roster and see how much game experience they have, and in which games. I'm guessing we have guys coming in who may not have started last season, but who factored in quite heavily to major games last year.

The O Line is not the greatest of my worries this year. I think we have more experience there than meets the eye.

Don't worry. That will be answered in 2 weeks when Steele'mas arrives.

Jake Cotton

2013 (Junior)

Cotton started 11 of 13 games at left guard, while missing the Michigan and Michigan State contests with a knee injury. His play helped Nebraska average better than 215 rushing yards per game and more than 410 yards of total offense per game. With the offensive line providing the push, junior I-back Ameer Abdullah rushed for 1,690 yards and had 11 100-yard rushing games. As a team, Nebraska topped 250 rushing yards five times in 2013.

2012 (Sophomore)

Cotton played in five games as a sophomore, serving as a reserve guard behind starters Spencer Long and Seung Hoon Choi. Cotton saw his most extensive action of the year against Georgia in the Capital One Bowl.

2011 (Redshirt Freshman)

Cotton played in Nebraska's wins over Chattanooga, Washington and Wyoming, helping the Huskers rack up more than 300 rushing yards against both Washington and Wyoming. He suffered a knee injury before the Ohio State game and was lost for the season. Cotton moved from defense to the offensive line during 2011 spring practice.

Matt Finnin

2013 (Sophomore)

Finnin was a reserve tackle and saw action in Husker victories over Southern Miss, South Dakota State, Illinois and Purdue.

Alex Lewis-

Before Nebraska (Colorado/Mountain Pointe HS)

Lewis was a two-year letterwinner for Colorado in 2011 and 2012. As a sophomore in 2012, Lewis started all 12 games at left guard and earned honorable-mention sophomore All-America honors for his performance. Lewis graded out second-best among all CU offensive linemen in 2012, and he allowed just two sacks on the season.

Lewis saw action in all 12 games in 2011, seeing time at both tackle and tight end as a true freshman, before moving to guard for his sophomore year. Lewis made three starts including one at left tackle and two at tight end. He did not have any receptions as a tight end, but was an excellent blocker. Lewis was originally a member of the Buffs’ 2010 recruiting class, but delayed his enrollment until the following January.

Lewis was a standout offensive lineman at Mountain Pointe High School in Tempe, Ariz. He was a three-year starter at offensive tackle and earned first-team all-state, first-team all-city and first-team All-5A East Valley honors as a senior for Coach Norris Vaughan. Mountain Pointe averaged 315.7 yards per game on the ground behind Lewis’ blocking, and the team featured a pair of 1,700-yard rushers who combined for 51 touchdowns. The team went 12-1, including 10-0 in the regular season, and earned the regional championship before falling in the third round of the playoffs.

On defense, Lewis played defensive tackle and recorded 25 tackles, with six for losses including four quarterback sacks and one fumble recovery. The team won its 5A East Valley championship with a 26-23 win over Marcos de Niza in the final regular season game, in one of Lewis’ top career games. As a junior, Lewis earned first-team all-city and first-team All-5A East Valley honors when he played both offensive guard and defensive tackle. He had nine tackles and forced one fumble that year. He also lettered in lacrosse at Mountain Pointe.

Mike Moudy-

2013 (Junior)

Moudy played in the first nine game of the season on the offensive line, including starting three games at right guard following an injury to Spencer Long. Moudy’s play helped junior I-back Ameer Abdullah rush for 1,568 yards, the most by a Nebraska player in 16 seasons. The line also solidified a Husker offense that was forced to start three different quarterbacks during the season.

2012 (Sophomore)

Moudy was a reserve at offensive guard and played in Nebraska's wins over Southern Miss, Arkansas State and Idaho State. He was a practice standout, and earned recognition as the Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year.

Mark Pelini-

2013 (Junior)

Pelini played in all 13 games at center, including starts against Michigan State and Penn State. He played behind senior Cole Pensick most of the season, before his role increased greatly in the second half of the season with numerous injuries to Husker offensive linemen.

His play helped running back Ameer Abdullah post 1,690 rushing yards, the most by a Husker since 1997. The line also solidified an offense that featured three starting quarterbacks.

2012 (Sophomore)

Pelini played in seven games, seeing action in non-conference wins over Southern Miss, Arkansas State and Idaho State, then playing in each of the final four games. He took over in the first quarter against Iowa when Jackson was sidelined by injury, then split time at center with Cole Pensick in the Big Ten title game, and also saw action against Georgia.

Givens Price-

2013 (Sophomore)

Price played in seven games as a reserve offensive guard. His role increased late in the season with numerous injuries on the offensive line, and he became a regular on the Huskers’ PAT and field goal units.

2012 (Redshirt Freshman)

Price added depth on the offensive line and played in NU wins over Southern Miss, Arkansas State and Idaho State.

Zach Sterup-

2013 (Sophomore)

Sterup played in 11 games, seeing action both at offensive tackle and on the Huskers’ field goal and PAT units. He saw extensive action at tackle in the final five games of the year when injuries ravaged the offensive line. The play of the offensive line helped Ameer Abdullah rush for 1,690 yards in 2013.

2012 (Redshirt Freshman)

Sterup was a reserve at tackle and appeared in Nebraska’s wins over Southern Miss, Arkansas State, Idaho State and Minnesota.

Ryne Reeves-

2013 (Sophomore)

Reeves suffered a broken ankle in spring practice, but recovered in time to play in 10 games as one of the Huskers’ top reserves at offensive guard. Reeves helped the Nebraska offense excel against strong Michigan State and Penn State defenses, as I-back Ameer Abdullah topped 100 yards in both of those games. He was also a regular on PAT and field-goal units as a blocker.

2012 (Redshirt Freshman)

Reeves was a reserve guard and appeared in Nebraska’s wins over Southern Miss, Arkansas State, Idaho State and Minnesota

Notable players who may have not had any playing time, but add depth. (Added in some true Freshman as well)

Corey Whitaker

Paul Thurston

David Knevel

Zach Hannon

Chongo Condolo

Nick Gates

Tanner Farmer

• Fire 6

Anybody see Farmer or Gates making the two deep as true frosh?

Our two deep on the line looks something like:

Left Tackle: Alex Lewis, David Knevel

Left Guard: Jake Cotton, Chongo Kondolo/Ryne Reeves

Center: Mark Pelini, Ryne Reeves/Paul Thurston

Right Guard: Mike Moudy, Givens Price/Chongo Kondolo

Right Tackle: Zach Sterup, Matt Finnin

Not sure. OL is so hard to break in as a true freshman, but if I had to guess, I would think Tanner would have a shot at backing up Moudy at right guard. The really question is, are we so uncomfortable with the depth that we burn a RS for either?