Bowe Bergdahl- POW or Deserter?

He deserted, he did not go AWOL. I'm not sure if its blind political allegiance or what that is causing some of you to stick to this story but damn, go read what his platoon mates have to say and then tell me he went AWOL. But, even though they served with him every day, they wouldn't know, now would they?

It has been widely known within Army circles, within hours of his disappearance, that he deserted. I suppose its easier to cling to your beliefs than it is to do a little research so I've helped you:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/08/bergdahl-platoon-medic-says-captured-solider-deserted-his-post-not-hero/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-deserter-or-hero/

Men died as a direct result of his desertion: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/08/us/bergdahl-search-soldiers/

MY desire in this thread is not to prove a point but to tell the true story. Those of us who have served or are serving all have an interest in this and it would be a disservice and a dishonor for me not to get the truth out there. Our brothers died due to this POS and they deserve the true story be told.

I don't think anyone is pushing an agenda, or showing blind political allegiance, in this thread. I think we're all cynical enough to know that sources are often biased, the news media only tell part of the story (the part that sells & makes them money) and that nearly everything we see and hear about anything, any time, should be taken with a grain of salt.

What you think you're seeing in this thread:

MidnightRider, we don't believe you.

What's actually being said in this thread:

MidnightRider, it's not that we don't believe you, it's that we're waiting for more facts to come out. Until then, you're neither wrong nor right, and we're being cautious.

That's really all there is to it. I (and I think most people here) are inclined to believe the word of our folks in the armed forces, especially the guys on the ground. But we've also seen instances, too often, where even the rank-and-file has an agenda.

Nobody's saying those guys (and by proxy, you) are wrong. We're saying we don't know you're right.

Mostly I think we're saying we don't know you're right YET.

He deserted, he did not go AWOL. I'm not sure if its blind political allegiance or what that is causing some of you to stick to this story but damn, go read what his platoon mates have to say and then tell me he went AWOL. But, even though they served with him every day, they wouldn't know, now would they?

It has been widely known within Army circles, within hours of his disappearance, that he deserted. I suppose its easier to cling to your beliefs than it is to do a little research so I've helped you:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/08/bergdahl-platoon-medic-says-captured-solider-deserted-his-post-not-hero/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-deserter-or-hero/

Men died as a direct result of his desertion: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/08/us/bergdahl-search-soldiers/

MY desire in this thread is not to prove a point but to tell the true story. Those of us who have served or are serving all have an interest in this and it would be a disservice and a dishonor for me not to get the truth out there. Our brothers died due to this POS and they deserve the true story be told.

I don't think anyone is pushing an agenda, or showing blind political allegiance, in this thread. I think we're all cynical enough to know that sources are often biased, the news media only tell part of the story (the part that sells & makes them money) and that nearly everything we see and hear about anything, any time, should be taken with a grain of salt.

What you think you're seeing in this thread:

MidnightRider, we don't believe you.

What's actually being said in this thread:

MidnightRider, it's not that we don't believe you, it's that we're waiting for more facts to come out. Until then, you're neither wrong nor right, and we're being cautious.

That's really all there is to it. I (and I think most people here) are inclined to believe the word of our folks in the armed forces, especially the guys on the ground. But we've also seen instances, too often, where even the rank-and-file has an agenda.

Nobody's saying those guys (and by proxy, you) are wrong. We're saying we don't know you're right.

Mostly I think we're saying we don't know you're right YET.

The information is out there, widely available. It has been. I linked to two of many articles in which his platoon mates are quoted as saying that he deserted. Even after those stories were circulated, some want to ignore them and speculate/claim that he is POW or AWOL. I'm really not sure how much more proof is necessary if the dudes who worked with him every day, say he deserted.

I'm genuinely curious, why are some here convinced that he did not desert?

Whether or not he deserted or went AWOL, that is a big difference.

It sure is. And that big difference been largely glossed over among the denizens of a certain network.

Can't imagine why? Who cares about the particulars of a single US soldier . . . there's a partisan attack to make!

Why are you convinced that he did desert? Are you a mind reader?

Sounds like the whole "leaving a letter" story was fraudulent. How else are you going to get to his mental state/intentions?

As I stated in an earlier post, it has been widely known throughout circles within the Army that he deserted. And this was very soon after he bailed. As I have also stated several times, his own platoon mates stated as such. Do you not believe them? If not, why?

Sounds like the whole "leaving a letter" story was fraudulent. How else are you going to get to his mental state/intentions?

As I stated in an earlier post, it has been widely known throughout circles within the Army that he deserted. And this was very soon after he bailed. As I have also stated several times, his own platoon mates stated as such. Do you not believe them? If not, why?

How do they know? Widely circulated does not mean much in my world. I like . . . you know . . . evidence.

What evidence do you have that Bergdahl intended to desert? (We know that he left the base, so the crucial bit is going to be proving that he intended to not return.)

For that matter, what evidence does the Army have? Scuttlebutt doesn't count.

How do they know? Widely circulated does not mean much in my world. I like . . . you know . . . evidence.

What evidence do you have that Bergdahl intended to desert? (We know that he left the base, so the crucial bit is going to be proving that he intended to not return.)

For that matter, what evidence does the Army have? Scuttlebutt doesn't count.

For the men of his platoon to state what they did (he deserted) is all the proof I need. Do you have any idea how tightly knit a combat ground unit is? You know EVERYTHING about EVERYBODY because you may have to trust the other person with your life one day. If they say he deserted, then there is no doubt in my mind that he deserted. I don't deal in scuttlebutt, by the way. With the military, you'll probably never get the full story unless it shines a good light on whatever branch is in the limelight at the time. Hell, look at the cluster f#ck surrounding the Jessica Lynch "rescue" for proof of how badly they can screw something up. Its obviously up to you to question what you see in the media, and rightfully so. I don't trust a damned thing they say. When I get info from the knuckle draggers on the ground, then I will, and do, trust that.

If the bond in a combat ground unit is so tightly-knit, then why did one of them desert?

And if that guy deserted, breaking that bond, why couldn't others deviate from fidelity?

I really have no idea why he walked away but this cat was different before he ever joined the Army. Who knows, maybe he thought he could change the world or end the war by having a heart to heart with the Taliban? Desertions happen. Its not something that the military will ever get past, this one just happened to walk into the waiting arms of the Taliban.

To answer your second question, I suppose one would have to have served. Only then, could they answer that question individually. For me? The thought never crossed my mind simply becuase I knew my brothers were counting on me. I would guess that you'd get that answer from 99.999% of any combat unit.

So you're on board with the notion that some cats are just different, and even those cats are allowed in the army. So it's not impossible (however unlikely) that all the guys in that unit who have spoken out about this situation were a bit short-circuited, in some way.

That's all anyone's saying. The links you've posted contain no proof. There's a lot of smoke, and there may be (quite likely to be) fire. But until we actually see the flames, most of us are going to hold off on the witch hunt.

Wait until decisions have been made, then check the board here. Also note that you don't see anyone on this board saying we should have a parade to celebrate Bergdahl's return. Nobody here is quite sure what to think yet. We're glad he's in our hands and not the Taliban's. From there, if his destination is a jail cell, you won't see any tears shed here.

Don't throw everyone under the bus because we aren't at the same conclusion you're at yet. We may still get there.

Patience, my man.

So it's not impossible (however unlikely) that all the guys in that unit who have spoken out about this situation were a bit short-circuited, in some way.

Um, no.

And who am I throwing under the bus? I am simply stating the facts as they have been explained to me.

For the men of his platoon to state what they did (he deserted) is all the proof I need. Do you have any idea how tightly knit a combat ground unit is? You know EVERYTHING about EVERYBODY because you may have to trust the other person with your life one day. If they say he deserted, then there is no doubt in my mind that he deserted. I don't deal in scuttlebutt, by the way. With the military, you'll probably never get the full story unless it shines a good light on whatever branch is in the limelight at the time. Hell, look at the cluster f#ck surrounding the Jessica Lynch "rescue" for proof of how badly they can screw something up. Its obviously up to you to question what you see in the media, and rightfully so. I don't trust a damned thing they say. When I get info from the knuckle draggers on the ground, then I will, and do, trust that.

Did you really just say "the men of his platoon to state what they did . . . is all the proof I need" and "I don't deal in scuttlebutt, by the way" in the same paragraph? :confucius

As knapplc keeps pointing out: you might be right. We don't know that yet and neither do you. Let the system work.

Regardless, I'm glad that he is no longer a prisoner of the Taliban. You?

So it's not impossible (however unlikely) that all the guys in that unit who have spoken out about this situation were a bit short-circuited, in some way.

Um, no.

And who am I throwing under the bus? I am simply stating the facts as they have been explained to me.

I suppose, before you believe that's the situation, you'd like some proof, right?

We're in the same boat, then. Grab an oar. ;)

Bergdahl was a prisoner of the Haqqani network and not the Taliban, actually. While the two militant groups are aligned and similar they are not one and the same and I wouldn't call them chummy by any means. Why would the Haqqani broker a deal for the release of 5 Taliban detainees in exchange for Bergdahl when they could have bartered for some of their own? I understand that the Taliban is top dog so that's probably why but it just seems a bit odd.

How do you even know he deserted?

Per UCMJ awol is leaving, disapearing, not being where you are suppose to be. Plus have the intent to reenter into the military.

for ex. your unit gets deployment notice. you flee to Canada and return when your unit returns from deployment.

Per UCMJ desertion is leaving, disapearing, not being where you are suppose to be. Without having the intent to reenter into the military. Which can be punished by death.

now tell me again how you know he deserted?