Bowe Bergdahl- POW or Deserter?

I think it was more the events that led up to the point where he disappeared that have people believing that he deserted his post. I think with comments from other soldiers stating that he was talking bad about the U.S. involvement and reasoning in being in the war and no longer supported the U.S. Government's or his involvement. Obviously not quoted lol but just from what I saw and read from many news reports. I definitely can see how a fellow soldier would feel this way, but I can also see if someone is tired, scared, or distressed could end up meeting their breaking point, but questioning of this man needs to be made to make sure he didn't mean harm to the U.S. and his fellow soldiers especially the ones who spent many hours/days looking for this one man, and with no doubt the ones who died in result. The problem is I don't know if they have any proof of him leaving on his own, and if they do well they are not sharing probably for good reason.

I think it was more the events that led up to the point where he disappeared that have people believing that he deserted his post. I think with comments from other soldiers stating that he was talking bad about the U.S. involvement and reasoning in being in the war and no longer supported the U.S. Government's or his involvement.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/sep/15/pat-tillman-iraq-book

"The Tillman brothers lamented how easy it had been for Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld to bully secretary of state Colin Powell, both houses of Congress and the vast majority of the American people into endorsing the invasion of Iraq," the book says.

Tillman demonstrated an insightful understanding of where the military and politics mesh during the first days of the invasion of Iraq when he was assigned to a unit to release a female POW, Private Jessica Lynch, from an Iraqi hospital. Tillman watched as about a thousand troops were mobilised for the operation, including special forces, and concluded that the scale meant this was more than routine.

"This mission will be a POW rescue, a woman named Jessica Lynch," he wrote in his diary two days before the operation. "As awful as I feel for the fear she must face, and admire the courage I'm sure she's showing, I do believe this is a big public relations stunt. Do not mistake me, I wish everyone in trouble to be rescued, but sending this many folks in for a (single low-ranking soldier) screams of a media blitz."

Tillman was right. The military falsely portrayed Lynch as in imminent mortal danger when Iraqi doctors had taken good care of her and already tried to turn her over to American forces.

Later Tillman expressed disillusionment with his superiors over the treatment of Iraqi civilians.

"We've had leaders telling guys to shoot innocent people only to be ignored by privates with cooler heads ... It seems their battlefield sense is less than ideal. Given the stress of a situation, I absolutely will listen to my instincts before diving headfirst into any half-baked scheme of theirs. Perhaps this is not the 'military right', however these past couple of months have suggested it's necessary," Tillman wrote.

I think it was more the events that led up to the point where he disappeared that have people believing that he deserted his post. I think with comments from other soldiers stating that he was talking bad about the U.S. involvement and reasoning in being in the war and no longer supported the U.S. Government's or his involvement.

"The Tillman brothers lamented how easy it had been for Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld to bully secretary of state Colin Powell, both houses of Congress and the vast majority of the American people into endorsing the invasion of Iraq," the book says.

Tillman demonstrated an insightful understanding of where the military and politics mesh during the first days of the invasion of Iraq when he was assigned to a unit to release a female POW, Private Jessica Lynch, from an Iraqi hospital. Tillman watched as about a thousand troops were mobilised for the operation, including special forces, and concluded that the scale meant this was more than routine.

"This mission will be a POW rescue, a woman named Jessica Lynch," he wrote in his diary two days before the operation. "As awful as I feel for the fear she must face, and admire the courage I'm sure she's showing, I do believe this is a big public relations stunt. Do not mistake me, I wish everyone in trouble to be rescued, but sending this many folks in for a (single low-ranking soldier) screams of a media blitz."

Tillman was right. The military falsely portrayed Lynch as in imminent mortal danger when Iraqi doctors had taken good care of her and already tried to turn her over to American forces.

Later Tillman expressed disillusionment with his superiors over the treatment of Iraqi civilians.

"We've had leaders telling guys to shoot innocent people only to be ignored by privates with cooler heads ... It seems their battlefield sense is less than ideal. Given the stress of a situation, I absolutely will listen to my instincts before diving headfirst into any half-baked scheme of theirs. Perhaps this is not the 'military right', however these past couple of months have suggested it's necessary," Tillman wrote.

So what are you trying to link here between HUSKER FREAK's statement and the article? Care to elaborate? I think I've got an idea but I want to hear your thoughts.

So what are you trying to link here between HUSKER FREAK's statement and the article? Care to elaborate? I think I've got an idea but I want to hear your thoughts.

Just that it is possible to be disillusioned with the Army and your government without being a deserter.

Just that it is possible to be disillusioned with the Army and your government without being a deserter.

Solid copy.

BpKEe5ZIQAAzoWs.jpg

Without going into the data on who was released and why - this shouldn't be a surprise at all. So many were captured and taken to Gitmo. After interrogation, they knew who were the thugs and who could be released. The war started in 2001 and Bush's military had several years to qualify the prisoners and their threat level. My assumption, & it is only an assumption, is that only the most harden terrorists remained when Obama took over.

• Fire 3

So many were captured and taken to Gitmo. After interrogation, they knew who were the thugs and who could be released.

Really?

Yea, and after they were flow across the world against their will, tortured, and determined to be unimportant they were released. And everyone should assume that they didn't hold a grudge.

So many were captured and taken to Gitmo. After interrogation, they knew who were the thugs and who could be released.

Really?

Yea, and after they were flow across the world against their will, tortured, and determined to be unimportant they were released. And everyone should assume that they didn't hold a grudge.

so they were all tortured - news to me. Give details to support your blanket claim.

Really?

a reasonable assumption - Capture xxx number captured in a combat zone let go of xx number when they have been evaluated.

Give details to support your blanket claim.

After interrogation, they knew who were the thugs and who could be released.

Interrogation isn't the same as tortured - good grief Carl you are smarter than that association by linking my 2 posts together just to try to prove some ridiculous point. Are you tortured when the cops take you to the jail to interrogate you on a theft charge?? Maybe in your city but not here. I think if the majority of prisoners at Gitmo were water boarded then yes - you would have an argument.