Bowe Bergdahl- POW or Deserter?

Maybe it has been said already but the US government owes it to every family to bring every person serving home. Dead or alive. Regardless of what their standing is within their platoon, company, brigade, battalion, social media, etc.

I don't know if trading the 5 guys they traded was the best laid plan or not. I don't know what the going rate on prisoner exchanges are but he's back now and that is what matters. If it comes to light that he deserted, it will be handled appropriately.

• Fire 2

Maybe it has been said already but the US government owes it to every family to bring every person serving home. Dead or alive. Regardless of what their standing is within their platoon, company, brigade, battalion, social media, etc.I don't know if trading the 5 guys they traded was the best laid plan or not. I don't know what the going rate on prisoner exchanges are but he's back now and that is what matters. If it comes to light that he deserted, it will be handled appropriately.

At what price for this cat?

Who gets to notify the KIA's parents that their son died searching for a deserter?

Is the life of a soldier who has served honorably worth that of a deserter?

Who gets to notify the KIA's parents that their son died searching for a deserter?

Those will be valid questions to ask if and when he is shown to be a deserter.

For that matter, those KIA's parents can be notified just as soon as it's conclusively demonstrated that those poor souls died as part of the search.

Those will be valid questions to ask if and when he is shown to be a deserter.

For that matter, those KIA's parents can be notified just as soon as it's conclusively demonstrated that those poor souls died as part of the search.

Are you serious Clark? This fu&*#r is a deserter without a doubt.

Without a doubt, eh? Should be an easy case then. I'll wait for the outcome. You're welcome to assume whatever you like in the meantime.

I'm curious. What will it take to provide you with definitive proof? What if the investigation is conducted and the findings classified so that you never see it? What then?

Without a doubt, eh? Should be an easy case then. I'll wait for the outcome. You're welcome to assume whatever you like in the meantime.

I'm curious. What will it take to provide you with definitive proof? What if the investigation is conducted and the findings classified so that you never see it? What then?

If he is found guilty as a deserter and I said if. Then the punishment by UCMJ could be the death penalty. I'm sure some of the information would be classified so we won't get all of the facts. But with the punish he would face they would at least release the verdict.

I'm sorry but what ever happened to the American mentality of innocent till proven guilty? Nothing has been proven yet it's all circumstantial at this point. You are worried about him being a deserter. I'm more worried about how was he with the taliban and yet still alive. When every other capture they took was beheaded shortly after with a film of it being released?

• Fire 1

If he is found guilty as a deserter and I said if. Then the punishment by UCMJ could be the death penalty. I'm sure some of the information would be classified so we won't get all of the facts. But with the punish he would face they would at least release the verdict.

I'm sorry but what ever happened to the American mentality of innocent till proven guilty? Nothing has been proven yet it's all circumstantial at this point. You are worried about him being a deserter. I'm more worried about how was he with the taliban and yet still alive. When every other capture they took was beheaded shortly after with a film of it being released?

We've already went over the death penalty. It won't happen. The military has not executed anyone since 1961 (however, there are a handful sitting on death row currently). How would it look on Obama's legacy to trade 5 detainees for Bergdahl only to have him come home and then executed? He's not going to let that happen and I don't think the Army would be stupid enough to try. If he is found guilty of desertion then he'll spend some time in the stockade just like everyone else. Did you know that the military is still actively tracking down deserters from the Vietnam era?

I think you just answered this; "I'm sorry but what ever happened to the American mentality of innocent till proven guilty? with this; I'm more worried about how was he with the taliban and yet still alive. When every other capture they took was beheaded shortly after with a film of it being released?"

We've already went over the death penalty. It won't happen. The military has not executed anyone since 1961 (however, there are a handful sitting on death row currently). How would it look on Obama's legacy to trade 5 detainees for Bergdahl only to have him come home and then executed? He's not going to let that happen and I don't think the Army would be stupid enough to try. If he is found guilty of desertion then he'll spend some time in the stockade just like everyone else. Did you know that the military is still actively tracking down deserters from the Vietnam era?

I thought the last one was executed in 1945. Yes Obama pretty much had no choice but to bring him home. I don't think he would be executed either but. But could be given death sentence and sit on death row like the others currently are. Either way it'll make news that he is found guilty of desertion an faces X number of years in prison or execution. Or announced he was found innocent with a teary show of family hugging him. Either verdict would make the news. Seeing how deserters are determined by leaving post without approval with intent of not ever coming back. Doesn't surprise me they are still trying to find them all.

I agree, we must be at war to consider the death penalty. Since we have never officially declared war upon Iraq/Afghanistan, that will no be on the table.

"Actively tracking down deserters from the Vietnam era," who is? What kind of resources do they employ in their search? Is it FBI, DOD, branch specific CID..?

Speaking of his family. Is it true that he has been given many opportunities to contact his family and hasn't yet? It really seems odd to me that he wouldn't considering his plea was to go home to his family.

This is true, from what I've read. My thoughts on this? I think he realized during his vacation in sunny Afghanistan, that his parents really screwed him up during his upbringing and led him to where he is today. He may be carrying a bit of resentment right now. Just my thoughts, of course...

I agree, we must be at war to consider the death penalty. Since we have never officially declared war upon Iraq/Afghanistan, that will no be on the table.

"Actively tracking down deserters from the Vietnam era," who is? What kind of resources do they employ in their search? Is it FBI, DOD, branch specific CID..?

It's branch specific. I know the Marine Corps has an Absentee Collection Center and they actively search for deserters (not just Vietnam era). It's mostly Marines with a few civilians in the mix as well.