Bowe Bergdahl- POW or Deserter?

Give details to support your blanket claim.

After interrogation, they knew who were the thugs and who could be released.

Interrogation isn't the same as tortured - good grief. Are you tortured when the cops take you to the jail to interrogate you on a theft charge?? Maybe in your city but not here. I think if the majority of prisoners at Gitmo were water boarded then yes - you would have an argument.

Not what I was saying.

Give details to support your blanket claim.

After interrogation, they knew who were the thugs and who could be released.

Interrogation isn't the same as tortured - good grief. Are you tortured when the cops take you to the jail to interrogate you on a theft charge?? Maybe in your city but not here. I think if the majority of prisoners at Gitmo were water boarded then yes - you would have an argument.

Not what I was saying.

what are you saying?

So many were captured and taken to Gitmo. After interrogation, they knew who were the thugs and who could be released.

Really?

Yea, and after they were flow across the world against their will, tortured, and determined to be unimportant they were released. And everyone should assume that they didn't hold a grudge.

so they were all tortured - news to me. Give details to support your blanket claim.

My comment was sarcastic in nature. Though we do know that a good many prisoners at Guantanamo Bay were tortured.

what are you saying?

I'm saying that you're asking for details to support the blanket claim of someone else but you had just made a blanket claim supported only by what you've characterized as a reasonable assumption.

Understood - thanks for the clarification and throwing a wet blanket on all of our blanket assumptions. Regardless, I would agree wt JR in principle that perhaps way to many were taken to Gitmo if they were going to release that many during the Bush years - seems like some field interrogation could have limited the #s. But I wasn't there...

Uhhh maybe I am mistaken but wasn't Obama the presidential candidate that was going to release all of the prisoners from Gitmo?

I don't think that you're mistaken and now he is five prisoners closer to realizing that goal. Progress.

("Release" probably isn't the right word. I think the goal was to close Gitmo. A worthy goal but unfortunately largely hampered by Congress.)

Neither of those two have anything to do with what led up to Bergdahl's decision of him deserting or not...

Quite a bit of difference between deserting and going AWOL, isn't there? Also, my understanding is that court-martial proceedings have a presumption of innocence identical to that in the criminal justice system.

Neither of those two have anything to do with what led up to Bergdahl's decision of him deserting or not...

Quite a bit of difference between deserting and going AWOL, isn't there? Also, my understanding is that court-martial proceedings have a presumption of innocence identical to that in the criminal justice system.

But young Jedi, your picture, had nothing to do with Bergdahl himself deserting or going AWOL. Whether or not he deserted or went AWOL, that is a big difference.

He deserted, he did not go AWOL. I'm not sure if its blind political allegiance or what that is causing some of you to stick to this story but damn, go read what his platoon mates have to say and then tell me he went AWOL. But, even though they served with him every day, they wouldn't know, now would they?

It has been widely known within Army circles, within hours of his disappearance, that he deserted. I suppose its easier to cling to your beliefs than it is to do a little research so I've helped you:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/08/bergdahl-platoon-medic-says-captured-solider-deserted-his-post-not-hero/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-deserter-or-hero/

Men died as a direct result of his desertion: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/08/us/bergdahl-search-soldiers/

MY desire in this thread is not to prove a point but to tell the true story. Those of us who have served or are serving all have an interest in this and it would be a disservice and a dishonor for me not to get the truth out there. Our brothers died due to this POS and they deserve the true story be told.

Based upon some of the comments in this thread, I get the impression that one or more of you are/were SOF. Is this impression correct?

Nope, but there are some things that just don't make sense...

Not to sound like a dick but do you really think that we're going to send in Tier I dudes that we've spent millions on in training, without prior recon and fire support? I wouldn't be so quick to armchair this mission, I'm certain these dudes could have brought hell to bear in a heartbeat, if necessary.