Bo Pelini: Eliminate Signing Day

I think you are reading too much in to that sentence...I think he is just trying to make a point...I agree NU would fall in that same category, but it is not BP's preferred way of going about things, but we have too so we can keep up with all the other schools. So we are kind of forced into that situation of being like all the other schools.

• Fire 1

I think you are reading too much in to that sentence...I think he is just trying to make a point...I agree NU would fall in that same category, but it is not BP's preferred way of going about things, but we have too so we can keep up with all the other schools. So we are kind of forced into that situation of being like all the other schools.

I'm not really reading into it that much - I wouldn't have even responded if I didn't see the thread quickly derailing into yet another SEC cheats thread - as if Bo and Nebraska are some holy Jesus of the recruiting world. Signing, yeah they find loopholes - offering...that's an argument Nebraska isn't in much of a position to argue.

I dn't really agree w/ his idea though. I think it would ultimately hurt Nebraska, since classes are going to be full by the time they are juniors and most will never have seen Nebraska for fear of losing their spot they have with the LSU or Oklahoma or MSU offer. Gotta be able to visit earlier if they can sign earlier. And even then...does the signing period just get moved up 6 months, and classes are nearly full by October? Not many kids want to risk their spot to go see Nebraska. Whether it's January or October makes little difference.

I'm not really reading into it that much - I wouldn't have even responded if I didn't see the thread quickly derailing into yet another SEC cheats thread - as if Bo and Nebraska are some holy Jesus of the recruiting world. Signing, yeah they find loopholes - offering...that's an argument Nebraska isn't in much of a position to argue.

I dn't really agree w/ his idea though. I think it would ultimately hurt Nebraska, since classes are going to be full by the time they are juniors and most will never have seen Nebraska for fear of losing their spot they have with the LSU or Oklahoma or MSU offer. Gotta be able to visit earlier if they can sign earlier. And even then...does the signing period just get moved up 6 months, and classes are nearly full by October? Not many kids want to risk their spot to go see Nebraska. Whether it's January or October makes little difference.

I agree with this, the schools and coaches that dedicate themselves better and are better at recruiting will just adapt and still have their advantage.

Basically, this isn't a "this needs to happen because it would make it a level playing field" situation, but it's probably a good idea as National Signing Day has grown into something that's pretty ugly.

I brought up the SEC because its true. Go to the recruiting thread, we have commits who are still "weighing their options" 1) great to have a fallback school should something arise 2) Aw shucks, we missed out on the recruit because the SEC bag man payed him a visit.

I dn't really agree w/ his idea though. I think it would ultimately hurt Nebraska, since classes are going to be full by the time they are juniors and most will never have seen Nebraska for fear of losing their spot they have with the LSU or Oklahoma or MSU offer.

I think exactly the opposite. Go ahead and let those other schools fill up on juniors - works out great for Texas, right?

We make our living (maybe not this year) off of finding the underevaluated talent that gets overlooked or develops late. The further from actually getting to campus that you offer a kid, the more unknown that kid's actual potential is.

I think the biggest part that needs this to happen is to show kids some accountability with COMMITTING to a school.

the term "committed" in recruiting is the biggest overused joke possible. I don't understand the mindset of kids being committed and then just saying "adios" to the school because they some offer late, or visited, etc.

Make them sign on the dot if they when they make the choice!

I dn't really agree w/ his idea though. I think it would ultimately hurt Nebraska, since classes are going to be full by the time they are juniors and most will never have seen Nebraska for fear of losing their spot they have with the LSU or Oklahoma or MSU offer.

I think exactly the opposite. Go ahead and let those other schools fill up on juniors - works out great for Texas, right?

We make our living (maybe not this year) off of finding the underevaluated talent that gets overlooked or develops late. The further from actually getting to campus that you offer a kid, the more unknown that kid's actual potential is.

Make our living? I am not exactly sure what this even means. I don't want to play devil's advocate, but finding the underevaluated talent is not exactly the golden way either. It's fine and dandy when establishing depth and all that, but you are going to have major failures relying on that as well. There needs to be a healthy balance.

edit: see our 4 loss dilemma.

• Fire 1

I just want official visits during Junior year.

A more flexible signing period isn't a bad idea either.

Exactly. I'd settle for taking OVs once your Junior year is complete. Just being able to get them here in the summer would be great. An August/September signing period would be gravy.

I get your point, but that is making Bo's point. Bo has to do the same as every other school or he will fall behind.

I don't disagree, but his statement implied that "some of the people don't even know these kids". Well Nebraska is one of the WORST offenders when it comes to a huge number of offers. Do they somehow know them better than every other school with less offers? And it takes about 4 posts before someone starts bashing the SEC. Well newsflash, Nebraska would be one of the worst in the SEC as well. Here's some notable B1G teams, along with the entire SEC as of the time of his statement.

Illinois - 242
Wisconsin - 234
Nebraska - 205
Ohio State - 188
Penn State - 130
MSU - 123
Michigan - 100
Northwestern - 98
Iowa - 89
Tennesee - 268
Kentucky - 247
Miss St - 238
Alabama - 198
Florida - 198
Ole Miss 195
Arkansas - 147
Auburn - 147
South Carolina - 144
Georgia - 133
LSU - 132
Missouri - 124
A&M - 98
Vanderbilt - 95

This got me thinking, and I could be way off base here, but if Pelini got his way, wouldn't it be very counterproductive to his own program?

It would appear, at least on its surface that it would directly benefit the schools that take whomever they want, and the ones that completely dedicate themselves to it, like your Franklin types.

Here is my (possibly, Ok very likely wrong) thinking.

Say there is a 100 or so top recruits. I could see the 15 or so lucky enough to get a Bama offer take it, leaving the rest to your Ohio St's Florida St's, USC's, pick an "elite" school. Maybe Nebraska gets some of their targets, maybe they don't

So then the next tier goes through, and obviously the big schools who nailed down their top 100 can only get 2 or so more, and everyone else fills in. Sure there may be an Ameer in there who gets overlooked because of size or something, but It seems to me like this all but will guarantee that the rich in recruiting will get richer.

Bo would have to target and heavily recruit his players diligently for an entire year before the first offers came out to make an impression. This would be a good thing, but I don't think its a thing he wants to do.

Or I'm way off base here and just talking out loud.

If something like this were ever to be implemented, I don't think you should be able to sign as a Freshman, Sophomore or Junior, unless your graduating before your Senior year.

I have always said this would be great, but there is so much hype and media exposure on that day, I don't see it going away unfortunately.

If something like this were ever to be implemented, I don't think you should be able to sign as a Freshman, Sophomore or Junior, unless your graduating before your Senior year.

I have always said this would be great, but there is so much hype and media exposure on that day, I don't see it going away unfortunately.

Unless they could double the hype (revenue) with a second day?

polo i only glanced through your long thought post, but I think it would help our team because the difficulty in us keeping interest and holding on to top recruits all the way through to february outweighs the ease of elite talent-rich schools to stockpile.

So yes I think that is a genuine con, but the pros outweigh.