Athlon Sports: 2014 Big Ten Predictions

Hard to argue with that.

I don't see us going 5-3 in conference. Our home conference schedule isn't great, so that means we go 1-4 against @ NW, @ UW, @ IA, @ MSU. Granted, we probably would have done that last year, but I think we'll be improved. I think they're drunk on PSU going 10-2 (Franklin is recruiting well, but that roster is very shallow this year). They're also too high on UW. They lost their entire front 7, and they just assume they'll keep rolling on offense. Iowa lost the best trio of LB's in the conference (and possible the country), but should be about the same overall.

IMO, you'll see a 7-1, 6-2 winner out of the west from wither UW or NU.

• Fire 1

That's the thing with the media and their gawking of recruiting success and rankings. They think since Franklin has done such a great job this year and loading up, that that's going to automatically and immediately transition them into a power. It's not. Penn St will be even more down this year than they were last. This is season 3 of the repercussions of them sanctions. I think they'll start feeling it some this year. But the recovery will also be beginning.

Or Iowa. That schedule is cake.

This. Iowa gets their only 2 tough games at home. They could realistically be (probably should be) 10-0 and a top 20 team heading into the Wisconsin game.

That is Another reason I think we may not be better than a 3 place in the division, the way our schedule stacks up against Iowa and Wisconsin.

This. Iowa gets their only 2 tough games at home. They could realistically be (probably should be) 10-0 and a top 20 team heading into the Wisconsin game.

That is Another reason I think we may not be better than a 3 place in the division, the way our schedule stacks up against Iowa and Wisconsin.

so how good or bad we are is contingent on external factors? not the product we put on the field? we no longer dictate our destiny?

so how good or bad we are is contingent on external factors? not the product we put on the field? we no longer dictate our destiny?

No, but to ignore it as an influence is ignoring reality. It happens around the country (and a bunch in the SEC with their weird 6-1-1 scheduling) where crossover schedules affect the outcome of a division.

I myself have a hard time seeing Wisconsin being a world beater this year. They lost a ton on defense and lost their 2 best receivers. There QB play was very average at best. They will still be able to run the ball but is that enough.

I could almost say the same thing about Iowa, lost a ton on defense lost their huge TE. They do have a decent QB though.

Both are good team, but when I look at both on paper the only advantage I see is that they will be road games for NU. I don't know if that is enough.

I myself have a hard time seeing Wisconsin being a world beater this year. They lost a ton on defense and lost their 2 best receivers. There QB play was very average at best. They will still be able to run the ball but is that enough.

I could almost say the same thing about Iowa, lost a ton on defense lost their huge TE. They do have a decent QB though.

Both are good team, but when I look at both on paper the only advantage I see is that they will be road games for NU. I don't know if that is enough.

I agree with the bolded. Its like Wisky is getting the benefit of the doubt because they have been pretty good for so long now (kinda like how we did for years). They lost a lot, haven't recruited that well....and we're supposed to bend over? I'm skeptical.

Penn St. Is kind of a big question mark this season really. Their QB Hackenberg is hyped big time by the national media. I guess I'm not on board with that but maybe I'll see something that changes my mind this year. Their coach has been successful, but first year in the Big he should struggle a bit right? Don't all first time head coaches struggle in new conferences? I don't even know the name of their running back, do they have one? I don't want to google it cause I don't want the Feds tracking my computer thinking I'm a Pedo State fan.

Penn St. Is kind of a big question mark this season really. Their QB Hackenberg is hyped big time by the national media. I guess I'm not on board with that but maybe I'll see something that changes my mind this year. Their coach has been successful, but first year in the Big he should struggle a bit right? Don't all first time head coaches struggle in new conferences? I don't even know the name of their running back, do they have one? I don't want to google it cause I don't want the Feds tracking my computer thinking I'm a Pedo State fan.

They've got Zach Zwinak, and Bell Belton, and that's about it for skill guys. Losing Allen Robinson was HUGE for their offense (had 4x the catches of the #2 receiver) as they have no real receiving threats now.