What's the biggest reason for Blacks not advancing

The factors that contribute to, or are responsible for, African-Americans from advancing are not limited to that demographic. The reality is that most of the factors are socioeconomic. Whites that are born into lower socioeconomic conditions "fail" at very similar rates. What it amounts to is that those factors are so staggering they act as a built-in headwind that are ALMOST impossible to overcome. The reason it seems more prevalent in the black community is due to the fact that the black community as a whole started in abject circumstances - therefore, fewer percentage-wise ever succeeded.

Poverty is a bitch, in other words. Less family infrastructure, less mental stimulation (lack of reading material or desire to read), less ambition (just getting by day-to-day is a major accomplishment and can consume all their resources), and so on. It can crush both the spirit and the ambition.

very well said and spot on. the problem is poverty and that problem is cyclical.

To me, the #1 issue is a lack of positive role models.

Regardless of where you start in life and the color of your skin, if you have someone who inspires you to be better, tells you it's possible to achieve more than your parents, and you take on the personal responsibility to make yourself better - good things can happen.

But for every positive & encouraging message you receive from someone trying to raise you up - there are the those who provide the opposite.

- they explain away your starting position as result of a previous indirect injustice (slavery)

- they suggest that the system is rigged and your skin color will prevent you from succeeding (racisim)

- they make you own a culture you didn't want and would rather avoid (drugs)

- they make excuses that you are statistically not likely to exceed your parents economically (poverty)

- and so on...

So instead of lamenting why black youths are statistically likely to have less success...and telling them each and every reason why that is going to be the case - find a way to inspire instead.

----

One solution would be to bring local business leaders into the poor black schools, with a preference for white CEOs.

Instead of taking a bus trip to a museum, take a trip to a board room. Show kids what else is out there to achieve.

The evil white CEO caricature that is propagated in movies and in leftist news media is built up as an obstacle to their success.

In the absence of racism, they could be good role models and provide inspiration.

----

I'm not a black youth, but I see a lot of adults (white & black) listing off all of the reasons/problems.

The youths hear that. They absorb it into their reality. It becomes walls they build up around themselves - boxing them in.

When poor black youths start hearing more about their opportunities than all the factors that are holding them back, you will see real progress.

The best part about that is it's free. You just have to remove the bitter blacks and guilty whites from the equation, and replace them with people who are both color-blind and successful.

----

• Fire 2

Black's advice ..... Right off the bat, abandon and/or dissolve NAACP, black panthers, BET network, Black Power membership, black college funds, stupid affirmative actions rules, BlackPeopleMeet.com, jive language, etc.

Right now too many black people complaints, mostly trivial, like affirmative actions and civil rights violations, EEO, and false discrimination. Eliminate protests fueled by Jackson/Sharpton followers, slave reparation act (payment/hand-outs), etc.

"Black" people, need to concentrate and pursue careers, not past history. Granted, not overnight but eventually someday, hopefully, will be equal, every color.

• 1 month later...

Seems a good place to post this:

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/7/5978551/study-racism-criminal-justice-stop-and-frisk-reform-support?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=voxdotcom&utm_content=thursday

In other words, according to the researchers, "the blacker the prison population, the less willing registered voters were to take steps to reduce the severity of a law they acknowledged to be overly harsh."

Even in death-penalty cases, the perceived Blackness of a defendant is related to sentencing: the more Black, the more deathworthy."

Laws are enforced more harshly according to race, then when the prison population reflects this, we're less likely to do anything about it. We're basically doubling down on the racial oppression. Fantastic.

That's a sad fact that needs to change.

However, I'm not sure that necessarily has to do with how I read the original question. Yes, for someone who goes out and gets caught with an ounce of pot, the black guy is more inclined to be thrown in jail than the white guy.

But, I read the question as if...let's say we have two people one white and one black. Both make good decisions and stay off drugs and do their part to try to get an education and have a career. What holds back the black more than the white? That's how I read it anyway.

the vox article that I posted where the black gets paid less, gets hired less of the time, gets subjected to a whole bunch of weird biases, etc etc etc

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/30/5665778/americas-real-racism-problem-doesnt-look-like-donald-sterling

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/27/5755376/what-americas-real-racism-problem-looks-like

alsooooo....why are you dismissing a very real part of the question? minorities get prosecuted for minor crimes at a much higher rate. don't act like you didn't get drunk and do something stupid in high school or college. a young black kid could end up in jail for the same teenage shenanigans that a white kid would just get let off for. It's a sh#t ton of little factors that add up, day after day, choice after choice, interaction after interaction.

And that's all assuming that the white kid and the black kid are starting out from equal stations in life with equal opportunities, which, due to poverty and the general socioeconomic condition of the african-american racial demographic, we know that this is extremely unlikely to be true. You just don't get many black kids from upper-middle class families, getting schooling at Millard North and going on to get a business degree at Creighton. I think you understand why. African-Americans have a high poverty rate, which is directly correlated with the educational prospects of their children - studies have proven the direct correlation. So that's number 1.

Then if the African-American kid does have the same sort of starting point, he/she is then subjected to all of the systemic racial oppression, putting that person at a disadvantage. So in combination, voila, that's why. It's a bad cycle, and growing wealth inequality and the conservative war on food stamps and welfare assistance and minimum wage increases certainly isn't helping.

And their response was to riot, loot and burn down buildings, I'm sure that's society's fault also.
At least it's in response to someone being killed and not a sports team winning or losing.

I don't really see how stealing bags of chips and cigarettes and setting places on fire is justifiable in either scenario

I will withhold judgement until the facts are actually out. It looks bad for the cops at this time though. However, there are things in dispute as to what happened. It would be nice if there were some type of video from the police car.

Multiple eyewitness accounts say that Brown was killed while attempting to surrender.

Brown's friend Dorian Johnson, who was with Brown at the time, says that the two of them were walking in the middle of the street when a police car approached, and the officer told them to get on the sidewalk.

Eyewitness Piaget Crenshaw says that Johnson, Brown and the officer got into a verbal confrontation, and the officer attempted to put Brown in the police car. When Brown began to flee, with his hands in the air, she says, the officer got out of the car and started shooting at Brown. (Crenshaw has photos of the shooting, which have been turned over to the police.)

—Another eyewitness told the press that the officer was in his car when he started shooting at the boys. (At least one shot was fired from the police car.)

Johnson says that he and Brown started running when they heard the first shot. He told local news station KMOV that the officer "shot again, and once my friend felt that shot, he turned around and put his hands in the air. He started to get down and the officer still approached with his weapon drawn and fired several more shots."

Meanwhile, St. Louis County police, who have been called in to investigate Brown's death, say that Brown assaulted the officer before he was killed. St. Louis County police chief Jon Belmar told reporters on Sundaythat Brown shoved the officer back into the police car, "physically assaulted" him, and attempted to grab the officer's gun. According to Belmar, the officer only began firing at Brown after the assault.