Children and immigration reform

Are you saying everyone no matter of race would need to have a SSN ran through e-verify before they get any job?

Seeing as how there are person's unlawfully present in the US who represent a lot more countries than just Hispanic ones, yes. If you really want to tackle illegal immigration, its not just Hispanics. Also does away with the discrimination angle. Everyone already has to complete the I-9, just run them all through. That's a comprehensive start to tackling the immigration issue IMO. Is it cost effective? I have no idea. I would think it would have to be cheaper than paying for 12-16 million illegal aliens in the country now.

In NC, they do it for DMV. Regardless of race/ethnicity. So yes, it could should be done.

So. If a rancher in Nebraska wants to hire the neighbor kid to work in the hay field over the summer, he legally is required to run them through e-verify?

What if that rancher doesn't use a computer or even have internet

Really? Is e-verify perfect? No. Is it a start? Yes. You could dirt dive and rip apart any plan idea. Nothings perfect.

How would you suggest that employers could verify the legality of those they are hiring? Could it be done by company size, gross profits, industry, does the business effect interstate commerce, family owned etc.......

Wow...calm down. I'm simply trying to discuss how it could work.

In politics, many times a plan sounds great but it can have unintended consequences when it gets down to the local level.

Didn't mean to come across as riled up. I hear ya. When you look at a "national program", the trickle down or peripheral damage is often pretty large or at least causes problems down the line for some of the end users. With e-verify, it is a tool to more effectively try to dissuade companies form hiring illegals. Is it perfect? No. It is only as good as the person/company compliance. If a company is hiring off the books and paying cash, e-verify will not pick these type of arrangements save for a costly financial analysis.

IMO, it is similar to Obamacare. I am against it in principle, yes. There are definitely some parts that I like and some that I do not. Does it have negative impacts? IMO, yes. BUT did it solve the problem of getting people insurance? Yes. Same with immigration enforcement to include e-verify. There will be some negatives. Would it slow business growth? Impact smaller companies? Get criminal enforcement into more admin roles? etc.......

I am just sure there is no other way to discourage the hiring of illegals save employe sanctions. No jobs? No immigration. E-verify is about the only current way to do this. Perhaps tie it to Obamacare when there are the IRS audits to verify compliance with providing care and those who file showing their insurance info.

Large companies that are major donors don't use Hispanics for cheap labor.

1349.jpg

Buy your lottery tickets. Carl and just agreed! (sarcasm. NO offense meant Carl) I would throw in the Chamber of Commerce as well now bank rolling moderate R's over conservatives to get reform (amnesty IMO) passed. I say amnesty, as I have seen no plan put forth by the R's that outlines one.

It's all about politics (money). We have drones that can launch in the ME, flown by a pilot in CA and drop ordnance like no ones business and we can't secure the border. Sure. Technology to get a lander to Mars and can't secure a boarder.

Both sides are petitioned by big money to get it done. They want cheap labor, the Dems want the votes and I really have no idea what the R's want, but to save their jobs.

I'm not convinced the Republican Party doesn't want it fixed because of cheap labor.

Someone using Hispanics for cheap labor is going to bd someone like a landscaper in Des Moines or a roofer in Los Angeles. Those people aren't major donors.

Large companies that are major donors don't use Hispanics for cheap labor.

I think the republicans problem is pandering to a low end voter that they have convinced Mexicans are a major problem and all major criminals that are going to take over our country.

The problem lies in that now that they have some people convinced of that, how politically can they turn around and vote something in that allows them to stay?

By pandering to some voters they have not given themselves the ability to be reasonable on the issue.

Just wanted to point out that both JBS Swift and Tyson have political action committees (PACs) and both donate in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to various political campaigns. Both have been raided on suspicion of employing illegal aliens in the past few years.

EDIT - whoops! I responded to this before reading the posts above. Nevermind! :D

Knapp

I recognize your edit but I want to express again that I don't see their use of Hispanics as for low wages. Again. They pay close to the highest wages in the area.

Their use of illegals is entirely based on lower wages, less bargaining power and the ability to pull shady sh#t on them. I've seen it over and over.

Lst I saw starting wages there were around $17 per hour. That is dang good for this area.

Now. I suppose without Hispanics that might be higher but I doubt much.

Pulling sh#t over on them is a valid point I'm sure.

However, I honestly don't know one white person who even thinks about applying there simply because it's a horrible job.

Now this plant has never been raided so maybe it's ran differently than others.

Lst I saw starting wages there were around $17 per hour. That is dang good for this area.

However, I honestly don't know one white person who even thinks about applying there simply because it's a horrible job.

Regarding the bold, I bet that you'd know some people who would think about applying there if it paid $30 per hour.

You said that the wages are good for your area but that people don't think about applying there because it's a horrible job. That might hint that the offered salary should be higher.

And FWIW, I know for a fact that many, many, illegal immigrants are employed in Nebraska meatpacking plants.

Regarding the bold, I bet that you'd know some people who would think about applying there if it paid $30 per hour.

You said that the wages are good for your area but that people don't think about applying there because it's a horrible job. That might hint that the offered salary should be higher.

And FWIW, I know for a fact that many, many, illegal immigrants are employed in Nebraska meatpacking plants.

FYI....I have no doubt they are employed here. Heck, when this plant opened, I know someone who vacationed in San Diego. Right north of the border there was a huge billboard advertising jobs here.