Children and immigration reform

At least the priorities are in the right place.

If the GOP does nothing [to address the immigration issue] and if Republicans explain that there's no point acting due to the recalcitrance of the president to deal with the policies that are causing the crisis, the focus will be on the president. Republican incumbents won't have problematic legislation to defend or questions to answer about what further compromises they'll make. Republican challengers won't have to defend or attack GOP legislation.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/note-house-gop-kill-bill_800382.html

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/8/5/5971093/steve-king-rand-paul-meet-DREAMer-erika-andiola-run-away

On Monday night, Rand Paul was with Steve King — the member of Congress who championed last week's bill to strip protections from young unauthorized immigrants so they would be vulnerable to deportation again — at a fundraiser in Okoboji, Iowa. The two were approached by advocate Erika Andiola — one of the immigrants King was trying to deport. Paul made a quick getaway, while King struggled to tell Andiola that he passed a bill allowing her to be deported because of drug smugglers:

Love the "King Obama" reference dropped in. Fun guy, that Steve King.
Also love the guy trying to make the woman stop recording. Land of the FREE!

These kids aren't immigrants, they're refugees. We're playing politics with their lives.

Let the politicians say what they say. They're just words. But every Christian in this country should be doing what they can to assist these children. It is a gross national embarrassment that we're not doing more for these kids, that we're treating them like criminals when all they're doing is fleeing for their lives.

Jon Stewart the other night was saying that when he was filming over in Jordan, an impoverished country with few natural resources, Syrian refugees were flooding in and the Jordanians were doing everything they could to help them, meager though their resources were.

Contrast that to the reaction of Americans, standing at the border shouting at these children, telling them to go back to the gangs, rapes & murder they're escaping from.

We should be better than this.

• Fire 3

"Listen, I, I'd like to act. We've got a humanitarian crisis on the border, and that has to be dealt with. But the president clearly isn't going to deal with it on his own, even though he has the authority to deal with it on his own." - John Boehner (emphasis added)

That's interesting . . . isn't it?

When he eventually does it will be TYRANNY and EXECUTIVE OVERREACH

"Listen, I, I'd like to act. We've got a humanitarian crisis on the border, and that has to be dealt with. But the president clearly isn't going to deal with it on his own, even though he has the authority to deal with it on his own." - John Boehner (emphasis added)

That's interesting . . . isn't it?

When he eventually does it will be TYRANNY and EXECUTIVE OVERREACH

Well of course. Obama is terrible when he does something and he is every bit as terrible when he doesn't do the same thing.

These kids aren't immigrants, they're refugees. We're playing politics with their lives.

Let the politicians say what they say. They're just words. But every Christian in this country should be doing what they can to assist these children. It is a gross national embarrassment that we're not doing more for these kids, that we're treating them like criminals when all they're doing is fleeing for their lives.

Jon Stewart the other night was saying that when he was filming over in Jordan, an impoverished country with few natural resources, Syrian refugees were flooding in and the Jordanians were doing everything they could to help them, meager though their resources were.

Contrast that to the reaction of Americans, standing at the border shouting at these children, telling them to go back to the gangs, rapes & murder they're escaping from.

Agree!!!!

Shouting at the children and pointing guns at them. You are absolutely right here, but then again it's been a long time since American Christianity as a whole resembled anything the Bible taught. Obviously, there are some good Christians out there and I don't mean to disparage the group in its entirety. But by and large, people who identify as Christians in this country do nothing that even remotely follows the teachings of the Bible. This is just another example of it.

I popped that off quickly and shouldn't have said that about Christians. We're supposed to be, faith or no faith, a country of givers, helpers, a place of shelter for the oppressed. We built this country on this concept, and these kids, given a chance, could very well be the future of this nation. I wrote "Christians" because I was talking about the conservatives waving their signs & guns, who typically are Republicans, who typically are Christian. But I'm not seeing a groundswell of support from anyone, liberal or conservative or somewhere in between.

I popped that off quickly and shouldn't have said that about Christians. We're supposed to be, faith or no faith, a country of givers, helpers, a place of shelter for the oppressed. We built this country on this concept, and these kids, given a chance, could very well be the future of this nation. I wrote "Christians" because I was talking about the conservatives waving their signs & guns, who typically are Republicans, who typically are Christian. But I'm not seeing a groundswell of support from anyone, liberal or conservative or somewhere in between.

Again I agree, it isn't Christianity as a whole. I know many very wonderful people who identify as Christians and really follow that through. But then I also know a lot more people like my father who are Christian and think it means gays shouldn't get married and are pretty sure the right to bear arms was one of the commandments.

I also agree that there isn't a lot of support for the children from any avenue, and it is depressing as hell from a country as wealthy as we are. These people should be given asylum and a chance to live. Deportation is nearly a death sentence and it's remarkable how many people are ok with it.

• 2 months later...

Yeah....this is what America is about.

LINK

I guess it was just too much of a headache for the administration.

For the United States, the reason that tens of thousands of Central Americans arriving on the US-Mexico border this summer was a crisis was that too many people were showing up at the border for the system to handle. The Obama administration's bet was that a hardline against arriving migrants would curtail the flow of people, resolving a political headache and possibly even doing would-be future immigrants a favor by sparing them the dangerous journey through Mexico to the US border. Anything they could do to deter more Central Americans from coming here could save lives — and get a political hassle off the table.

• 1 month later...