Children and immigration reform

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/fox-cries-foul-over-obamas-bible-quotes-in-immigration-speech-thats-not-proper-use/

Conservatives are incensed that President Barack Obama quoted scripture in his speech last night about immigration reform, Media Matters for America reports.

“Scripture tells us that we shall not oppress a stranger, for we know the heart of a stranger — we were strangers once, too,” the president said Thursday night. “My fellow Americans, we are and always will be a nation of immigrants. We were strangers once, too.”

On Fox & Friends, Tucker Carlson accused the president of using the Biblical quotations to prove that “God is on [his] side.” “It’s repugnant,” Carlson said, “for this guy specifically, the president who spent his career defending late-term abortion, among other things, lecturing us on Christian faith? That’s too much. That is too much. This is the Christian left at work, and it’s repugnant.”

“To quote scripture?” he added, “that’s out of bounds.”

“He’s using it to guilt someone into” supporting immigration reform, Elisabeth Hasselbeck replied. “That’s not what the scholars behind the Bible would interpret as proper use.”

Good Lord. They love religion, until it is used against them.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...

What semi-competent person couldn’t see this coming?  China Joe has a real problem on his hands now and he’s gonna need to get serious about this in between bites of his oatmeal mush.  I hope whoever is in charge will adjust the narrative and policy to get across the message that we will enforce the borders and come to the US in a legal manner.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow this is an old thread - forgot I started it way back in 2014.   There are some old names on this thread - posters no longer on HB.  I feel like a survivor now!

With that said, we are still discussing this issue. This is the fault of both parties not coming to grips wt the need for comprehensive immigration reform.  But it also goes beyond that.  We need a North America/'Central America solution to the issue.  The USA can say this is our policy but it does no good if the root causes aren't address in each local country.  Instead of us spending billions/trillions on wars in the Middle East, it is time we spend the money to create a healthier "neighborhood' in our own hemisphere.    We'd help ourselves a lot by helping our neighbors to the south.  Address poverty, drugs, gangs, cartels, etc. 

• Fire 1

And to add to the above, why in the world are we off loading jobs to communist China and communist Vietnam?? If we are going to outsource jobs to other countries, why in the world did the intelligent guys in commerce not even think to do it in Central America.  Sure, we got Mexico involved wt the NAFTA deal but we left everyone else in our neighborhood behind.  While we do have trade agreements with those countries, how much more beneficial would it have been to make them partners in production.  Granted, may companies moved to China and built plants there to be able to enter their huge market - but at what cost??  Higher costs to ship product back to the USA but also higher cost overall to our country as our industry has fueled the Chinese military build up.   All of those Made In China goods sold in the USA help the Chinese govt to finance its military and increases their ability to exert influence around the world.  I think people in leadership thought all of this would tame the tiger - I think it just made it hungrier.   So on one end, we finance and make stronger a philosophical enemy and tie ourselves to their production and on the other hand, we don't help to fix poverty in our own region of the world which in the end costs us in so many ways. 

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And to add to the above, why in the world are we off loading jobs to communist China and communist Vietnam?? If we are going to outsource jobs to other countries, why in the world did the intelligent guys in commerce not even think to do it in Central America.  Sure, we got Mexico involved wt the NAFTA deal but we left everyone else in our neighborhood behind. 

I think this was done because this was the part of the world with cheap labor AND the technological expertise to make it work.  I'm pretty sure the educational system in China with math and science is probably a lot better than a country like Nicaragua or Honduras.  On top of that, going into a strict authoritarian country like China, I'm sure companies didn't have to worry about crime as much as central America.

Now, I really wish we WOULD develop these central American countries.  It would a). Help them develop their own economies so we wouldn't have an as big of an immigration problem.  and b). eventually the country would be wealthy enough to fight the crime problems they have.

Which, brings up the need for us to be helping in that area anyway.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think this was done because this was the part of the world with cheap labor AND the technological expertise to make it work.  I'm pretty sure the educational system in China with math and science is probably a lot better than a country like Nicaragua or Honduras.  On top of that, going into a strict authoritarian country like China, I'm sure companies didn't have to worry about crime as much as central America.

Now, I really wish we WOULD develop these central American countries.  It would a). Help them develop their own economies so we wouldn't have an as big of an immigration problem.  and b). eventually the country would be wealthy enough to fight the crime problems they have.

Which, brings up the need for us to be helping in that area anyway.

All good points. Perhaps a  good reason large corporations like authoritarian govts - making agreements wt the devil. 

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

All good points. Perhaps a  good reason large corporations like authoritarian govts - making agreements wt the devil. 

True, there are other benefits too.

a). people who grow up in a place like China tend to be much more rules oriented, so, it's cheap labor and they don't have the employee problems in other places.

b). If I were to be moved to a country to live to manage a factory, I'd rather move to a society like China than to one like Honduras.  So, it's easier to get employees to move or travel there.

There is one other reason.  China has way more raw material resources than central America.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

True, there are other benefits too.

a). people who grow up in a place like China tend to be much more rules oriented, so, it's cheap labor and they don't have the employee problems in other places.

b). If I were to be moved to a country to live to manage a factory, I'd rather move to a society like China than to one like Honduras.  So, it's easier to get employees to move or travel there.

There is one other reason.  China has way more raw material resources than central America.

We'll sign you up for the commerce department chairmanship.    Good points.

GWB had a good interview about immigration (wants comprehensive reform)and The Biden term thus far (doing great and wants to support any way he can) and how literally sick he got when he saw the insurrection and his belief that anger will be overwhelmed by those participating positively in democracy 

a good read even if you aren’t a fan of his

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/24/texas-tribune-george-w-bush/

• Plus1 1