Children and immigration reform

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I went to high school with a lot of Vietnamese refugees and I currently have a neighbor who is Vietnamese. They were good people back in the day, and my neighbor is fantastic. 

Refugees are not a bad thing. They just want to live in peace. My neighbor's daughters are 100% the same American as anyone who's been here generations. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

Biden suspended MPP his first day on the job, roughly.  Which caused a massive uptick in illegal immigration through Mexico and Central America (for 6 months). I think the heat was so hot he sent Kamala to make an appearance, one time.  I think he even "tasked" her the responsibility of it all, SMH.  It's really been an awful situation, and poorly, poorly handled.

• Plus1 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because they aren't citizens of the US.

If you're not scared of them voting, then why not allow them to vote if they are citizens?

I’m saying they should enter the process and be required to wait ten years before actually becoming a citizen.  Permanent legal resident until then.  Why is that so hard for you to understand? 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m saying they should enter the process and be required to wait ten years before actually becoming a citizen.  Permanent legal resident until then.  Why is that so hard for you to understand? 

Because that's not how your original post read on the subject.

Oh I agree.  Because neither side wants to do what the other side wants.  At this point I’m fine if both sides get what they want just to get this over with as long as there is a no voting rights rider for 10 years on the current illegal aliens that would be allowed to stay and get a track for citizenship.   

To me, that reads they could get their citizenship but have to wait 10 years to vote.

I don't have a problem with a period of legal permanent residents.  Not sure it needs to be 10 years. We just need to fix it so there is a much improved way people can immigrate and be legal.

What is magical about 10 years?  Why not 5?

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because that's not how your original post read on the subject.

To me, that reads they could get their citizenship but have to wait 10 years to vote.

I don't have a problem with a period of legal permanent residents.  Not sure it needs to be 10 years. We just need to fix it so there is a much improved way people can immigrate and be legal.

What is magical about 10 years?  Why not 5?

Nothing magical, but there needs to be some punitive action for coming across illegally to begin with and jumping the line from those who did it lawfully.  Fines will never work so extend the citizenship timeline.  
what would be magical about 5?  

• Plus1 2