Israeli military gets revenge.

Right, like staying on good terms with Israel. Knapp pointed it out earlier, but it bears repeating: Israel--at least Israel's nukes--can not fall into the hands of people who could use them to attack the United States. The US needs to continue its support of Israel until Israel no longer faces a threat (hint: forever).

The whole point of Israel having nukes is so that they can defend themselves. If we have to defend them anyways we should demand that they hand them over to us as a condition for our support.

Their choice.

• Fire 1

So Netanyahu knew that the kidnapping wasn’t by Hamas proper, insisted that it was anyway, withheld the truth about the boys’ deaths in order to sustain a massive process of collective punishment of Palestinians in the West Bank, and then unleashed yet another brutal, lop-sided pulverization of Gaza. This is not a rational regime; and it is not a civilized government. J.J. Goldberg notes the Israeli military’s profound ambivalence about where Netanyahu is taking the country, along with the religious fanatics and racist haters who propel him forward.

And yes, yes, and yes again to the notion that Hamas should not be firing rockets into Israel at all, let alone at civilians directly, even though they have incurred no casualties and have bounced off the Iron Dome when they encroached too far into Israel proper. But in this instance, there is no equivalence. One side deliberately and deceptively instigated absolutely unjustified collective punishment of an entire population, and pre-meditatedly whipped up nationalistic and racist elements to back them up. They then went on to bombard Gaza – and many civilians – into another submission – after a period of relative calm and peace. The result is another disproportionate slaughter: around 100 Palestinians dead so far, and no Israelis. If you see nothing wrong with this, your moral compass is out of whack.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/07/11/the-revenge-doctrine-ctd-2/
  • Fire 1

I think it's about time the US has a little sit down with Israel and says...."Listen you SOBs, you do XYZ or we pull our support of you. We are willing to help you defend yourselves but you gotta stop doing stupid sh#t that does nothing but inflame the situation. If you continue doing that, you are on your own against all your neighbors....see ya....."

I think it's about time the US has a little sit down with Israel and says...."Listen you SOBs, you do XYZ or we pull our support of you. We are willing to help you defend yourselves but you gotta stop doing stupid sh#t that does nothing but inflame the situation. If you continue doing that, you are on your own against all your neighbors....see ya....."

Exactly. Our support shouldn't be unconditional.

I don't think giving Israel all stick and no carrot is going to have the desired effect. If the international community is serious about a two state solution and lasting peace, it needs to seriously look at the permanent deployment of an international peacekeeping force with policing powers over contested areas and the ability to respond to breaking of the peace. Palestinian provocations could then be dealt with without giving Israel an excuse to expand settlements into Palestinian territory and existing borders would be enforceable.

The problems are naturally who would oversee and/or execute the mission (I nominate Germany, Britain, and France) and that neither side would be likely to accept it.

Exactly. Our support shouldn't be unconditional.

Yea, but that isn't a politically viable stance.

You saw how the 2012 Republican primary contestants all had to march out their support of Israel, right?

I don't think giving Israel all stick and no carrot is going to have the desired effect.

I don't know that many are calling for that. What we do know is that giving Israel all carrot and no stick is certainly not having the desired effect.

How would you classify "knock it off, or else...." then? Israel is already a cornered animal in the Middle East. I just don't see how threatening to stop feeding it if it doesn't stop biting its attackers will improve the overall situation at all.

I don't think giving Israel all stick and no carrot is going to have the desired effect.

I don't know that many are calling for that. What we do know is that giving Israel all carrot and no stick is certainly not having the desired effect.

How would you classify "knock it off, or else...." then? Israel is already a cornered animal in the Middle East. I just don't see how threatening to stop feeding it if it doesn't stop biting its attackers will improve the overall situation at all.

Knock it off or we'll quit giving you money is not exactly what I think of as a "stick" in a "carrot and a stick" situation. That's more like saying that we're going to stop giving you carrots.

Luke...

What the heck else do you want us to do?

We helped them form their country. We give them tons of money. We have supported them so much that most of their neighbors hate us and some have supported terrorism against us.

It has cost us billions of dollars and American lives.

They??? Just seem to do what ever they want to the Palestinians and act like the Palestinians are evil for fighting back.

I support supporting Israel but they gotta start helping themselves a little more.

It's a good thing I'm not president, I have a simple solution to all of it...

A pie-and-ice-cream sit-down where all sides engage in meaningful, deep conversation and resolve the issues before nap time?

In the words of Booger from Revenge of the Nerds, "I say we blow the f*ckers up"

• Fire 1

Hamas has been lobbing rockets into Israel for years now. Israel is pissed and their not going to take it anymore. They intend on eradicating the cowards who hide behind women and children .

The old saying " The more you stir sh#t, the more it stinks" comes to mind. Hamas and the other cells over there continue to stir and stir....

Israel is not without blame. Hell they have been throwing rocks at each other for a thousands years now, it' s never going to end.