Artists Whose Best Album was their Debut

agree with everything Walks says here. Although I do like the songs on Korn's "Follow the Leader" that were commercial hits. The album itself as a whole was meh.

Yeah, there were two songs that were ok on "Follow"...

The more I thought about it, the same thing happened to System of a Down. First album was amazing, 2nd album was just as good if not better, then they completely fell off the wagon and made Nu metal sound like bad hip hop songs...

SOAD had good music. But in my humble opinion, Serj can't sing worth a damn.

I think the opposite and wish Daron would have been on microphones about 50% less than he was.

I also thought about Linkin Park, imo their debut is still by far their best, but many people don't share in that opinion

That surprises me. What do many Linkin Park fans consider their best album? Not a big fan personally, but I liked Hybrid Theory. It was the least laughable attempt at that style of music, I thought.

My sentiments exactly. At one point I legitamitely enjoyed every single song on that album. I think they just got way to emotional and whiny WAY too quickly.

I know a few people who really like Meteora, better than Hybrid Theory. But it's too watered-down for my liking - you can't show up as brash and hard as Hybrid Theory and then walk it back to, well, whatever Linkin Park is now. Basically as safe as Coldplay and the mascots for the Transformers series of movies. Sad.

The actual band members have a bit of a personal disdain for Meteora, explicitly explaining tons of times how it's essentially a Hybrid Theory 2.0 that was made to satisfy the enormous pressure of Warner to continue the money train and that pidgeonholed the band for a long time.

The band is still pretty dear to me partly because I grew up as they did. I don't hold it against you because I doubt you pay much specific attention to them but they have been anything but safe since the Meteora album. Listen through A Thousand Suns, look at the record sales and listen to how the songs are about as anti-radio friendly as it gets as Exhibit A. Actually just look at the lead single - almost six minutes long, no traditional song structure, and no rap/rock dueling that brought them success.

With the exception of Meteora every album they've made has been radically different and progressive (not in general but specifically for them as a band).

Revisiting Hybrid Theory, I don't really think it withstood the test of time, but it was much better than whatever that was.

The actual band members have a bit of a personal disdain for Meteora, explicitly explaining tons of times how it's essentially a Hybrid Theory 2.0 that was made to satisfy the enormous pressure of Warner to continue the money train and that pidgeonholed the band for a long time.

The band is still pretty dear to me partly because I grew up as they did. I don't hold it against you because I doubt you pay much specific attention to them but they have been anything but safe since the Meteora album. Listen through A Thousand Suns, look at the record sales and listen to how the songs are about as anti-radio friendly as it gets as Exhibit A. Actually just look at the lead single - almost six minutes long, no traditional song structure, and no rap/rock dueling that brought them success.

With the exception of Meteora every album they've made has been radically different and progressive (not in general but specifically for them as a band).

Revisiting Hybrid Theory, I don't really think it withstood the test of time, but it was much better than whatever that was.

I didn't say it was good or not I was just making the point that it wasn't safe.

Is it really that much of a surprise when a band's/artist's first album is their "best" album. The song writer has had years of angst, experiences, and other items to pull from when writing songs for their first album. Then, if that album is a success, the record label starts pressuring the band to produce a follow-up album within a year or two. Then if the band is also touring, it's not a shocker that band's 2nd and 3rd albums are considered a "weaker product".

More importantly I think, some people just have a deeper well of creative talent than others, and some people just work harder to hone their craft.

after Toxicity, they completely spit the bit...

"Steal this album" was nothing short of sh*t...

I seem to remember reading Steal This Album! was just a collection of songs that didn't make it onto the first two albums. Either way Mr. Jack is one of my favorite songs from them.

Also, Mezmerize was silly for the sake of being silly, but I think it worked . . . really well. Hypnotize seemed like leftover songs from that project. So really, I think they only wrote 3 proper albums, and a couple leftovers. Kind of unfortunate how they got lumped in with all those awful Nu Metal bands.

Beastie Boys - License to Ill

Paul's Boutique, yo.

Yeah, I kinda agree, but I don't think it would be the general consensus.

the sounds of science was probably their best album.

Paul's Boutique might be the best record of the 80's.

Beastie Boys - License to Ill

Paul's Boutique, yo.

Yeah, I kinda agree, but I don't think it would be the general consensus.
the sounds of science was probably their best album.

Paul's Boutique might be the best record of the 80's.

It's one of the 5 best all time hip hop albums...