What kind of customer are you?

If you are getting takeout from a restaurant that has actual servers, then yes, you should be tipping. Because it is often those people who are assembling, yes assembling, your order and making sure sh#t is correct and ready to go (and even if you don't want to assume that, the truth is, you just don't know who is actually doing it). So instead of paying attention to their tables and earning a real tip, they're dealing with your order. If it's not a place you sit down and get service, then you don't need to tip.

If you are getting takeout from a restaurant that has actual servers, then yes, you should be tipping. Because it is often those people who are assembling, yes assembling, your order and making sure sh#t is correct and ready to go (and even if you don't want to assume that, the truth is, you just don't know who is actually doing it). So instead of paying attention to their tables and earning a real tip, they're dealing with your order. If it's not a place you sit down and get service, then you don't need to tip.

The rule I would use is if they have a door, or counter that is signed for Carry Out, I am not going to tip.

How many of you tip the full bill or tip before sales tax?

I always tip full bill (tax included).

What do you guys feel about tipping people when you go in to pick up the food at a sit-down restaurant? Until recently it never occurred to me to tip for this because no one is waiting on me but I've been informed by 2 restaurant worker friends that I'm in the wrong. I wasn't trying to be cheap, it was just the logic of it. I'm fine with tipping from now on but it still kinda seems weird to me. The annoying part of being a waitress would be the interacting part, and they're only having to say hello and spend maybe 1 minute talking to me.

I don't tip in the pick-up situation, for the same reason you don't. I'm tipping a waiter for service, for catering to me. Someone who hands me something and processes my credit card isn't doing that, hence no tip.

Quick tip from someone who grew up in and around the restaurant business my whole life. Get to know a good waitress/waiter by name and ask to be seated in their section. It's a great relationship to have and get to know the days they work. This has been fruitful in my experience. I've gotten free apps that were mistakes because my waitress fight for them and brought them to my table. Christmas weekend last year we gave her a $100 tip on a $60 tab. We visit her section at least twice a month.

Quick tip from someone who grew up in and around the restaurant business my whole life. Get to know a good waitress/waiter by name and ask to be seated in their section. It's a great relationship to have and get to know the days they work. This has been fruitful in my experience. I've gotten free apps that were mistakes because my waitress fight for them and brought them to my table. Christmas weekend last year we gave her a $100 tip on a $60 tab. We visit her section at least twice a month.

You eat at the same place twice a month?

CSDG2ua.gif

Seriously though. Is that due to lack of choices or just because you really really really like the place?

You eat at the same place twice a month?

CSDG2ua.gif

Seriously though. Is that due to lack of choices or just because you really really really like the place?

Good food and a friend of mine owns the place.