Special Teams Work

I missed some of the game on Saturday.

What grade would you give our special teams?

Field Goals - A

Punts - B

Punt Returns - C

Kick Return - D

Coverage - C

So maybe a B-/C+ overall?

I'm just wondering because I saw a someone comment on an article to "worry about nebr's special teams play they suck"

Field Goals - A

Punts - B

Punt Returns - C

Kick Return - D

Coverage - C

I think you're being generous by giving Punt Returns a C grade but I'll admit I'm frustrated by how bad we are at this aspect of the game. Even the announcers talked about how it was a point of focus in the off-season and it looked like almost the same thing as last year.

Kenny Bell muffed a punt that could have easily been a turnover had he not swatted it out of bounds. We fielded four punts with a total of 19 yards in returns which is fairly poor considering the opposition and that most were being fielded around the 20-25 yard line. These weren't short field punts where our guy is trying to do something while standing on his own 5 yard line.

We did pressure their kicker one time when he tried to roll out and do a rugby style punt. The only big change I saw was that our players were hustling back towards the ball to help block. I think on every kick there was more than just a lone NU player on the TV screen surrounded by a sea of opposition.

Field Goals - A

Punts - B

Punt Returns - C

Kick Return - D

Coverage - C

I think you're being generous by giving Punt Returns a C grade but I'll admit I'm frustrated by how bad we are at this aspect of the game. Even the announcers talked about how it was a point of focus in the off-season and it looked like almost the same thing as last year.

Kenny Bell muffed a punt that could have easily been a turnover had he not swatted it out of bounds. We fielded four punts with a total of 19 yards in returns which is fairly poor considering the opposition and that most were being fielded around the 20-25 yard line. These weren't short field punts where our guy is trying to do something while standing on his own 5 yard line.

We did pressure their kicker one time when he tried to roll out and do a rugby style punt. The only big change I saw was that our players were hustling back towards the ball to help block. I think on every kick there was more than just a lone NU player on the TV screen surrounded by a sea of opposition.

I would look at it this way.

Bell - D

Pierson El - B