Special Teams Work

Ameer, Westerkamp and Pierson-El returning punts today.

Forgive me for wanting Westerkamp out of this equation.

I miss the days when a player like Dejuan Groce was back there with the green light to take off after catching punts. And he had the talent to just go off and change field position in a hurry.

I'm not going to judge any player we have had back there the last couple of years. When there is zero blocking at the LOS and opposing players are basically in your face when the ball gets to you, it is a recipe for disaster. Give these guys more blocking to slow players down at the LOS and see what happens.
Good point. I guess we shall see if our approach has changed. It can't be easy to keep your head with ten unblocked opponents bearing down on you.

Ameer, Westerkamp and Pierson-El returning punts today.

Forgive me for wanting Westerkamp out of this equation.

I miss the days when a player like Dejuan Groce was back there with the green light to take off after catching punts. And he had the talent to just go off and change field position in a hurry.

I'm not going to judge any player we have had back there the last couple of years. When there is zero blocking at the LOS and opposing players are basically in your face when the ball gets to you, it is a recipe for disaster. Give these guys more blocking to slow players down at the LOS and see what happens.

I hear ya. Blocking/Protection or not, I think it's a trust "don't fumble" issue. A fair catch play called from the sidelines before they line up 8/10 times :/

Contact Against the Snapper

ARTICLE 14. When a team is in scrimmage kick formation, a defensive player

may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the

snap (A.R. 9-1-14-I-III).

Link

What's the penalty for violating the "One Mississippi" rule?

15 yards and automatic first down.