Special Teams Work

Ameer, Westerkamp and Pierson-El returning punts today.

Forgive me for wanting Westerkamp out of this equation.

It's quite possible I'm forgetting some but I don't think Westerkamp was that bad. He fumbled against Michigan State but that was after he caught the punt and tried to do something with it when he probably should have just fair-caught it. He also may have dropped one against Michigan. Is that right? Am I missing others?

It's quite possible I'm forgetting some but I don't think Westerkamp was that bad. He fumbled against Michigan State but that was after he caught the punt and tried to do something with it when he probably should have just fair-caught it. He also may have dropped one against Michigan. Is that right? Am I missing others?

I think there was quite a few times he lost his bearings and fielded some punts that could have easily been touchbacks. That is basically like giving away an offensive possession IMO. At the very least, it puts your offense in a tough spot.

That is true, he did catch several too close to the end zone. I would chalk those and the Michigan State gaff up to being inexperienced.

I really want Pierson-El to get this job. Looks like he can be a game-changer. But I think Westerkamp is a good "hands" guy for when we just need to secure the ball. Similar to Burkhead a few years ago.

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/News-and-notes-from-Nebraskas-Wednesday-practice-30455555

— Nebraska was still without long snapper Gabriel Miller. Pelini said he feels good about what he’s seen from special teams thus far. “I feel good about our long snapping. It’s getting better. We have good options there. I feel comfortable with what we’re doing.”

As for Miller, Pelini said things look doubtful for him playing in the season opener. “If I had a crystal ball I would tell you, but right now, we’re not counting on him,” Pelini said.

Punts and kicks could be an adventure against FAU. Wouldn't you just bull rush the center if you were FAU?

If we end up punting a lot against FAU, we gots other problems.

• Fire 2

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/News-and-notes-from-Nebraskas-Wednesday-practice-30455555

— Nebraska was still without long snapper Gabriel Miller. Pelini said he feels good about what he’s seen from special teams thus far. “I feel good about our long snapping. It’s getting better. We have good options there. I feel comfortable with what we’re doing.”

As for Miller, Pelini said things look doubtful for him playing in the season opener. “If I had a crystal ball I would tell you, but right now, we’re not counting on him,” Pelini said.

Punts and kicks could be an adventure against FAU. Wouldn't you just bull rush the center if you were FAU?

You can't just rush the snapper during kicks. Here's the rule I was thinking of:

Contact Against the Snapper

ARTICLE 14. When a team is in scrimmage kick formation, a defensive player
may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the
snap (A.R. 9-1-14-I-III)

That is true, he did catch several too close to the end zone. I would chalk those and the Michigan State gaff up to being inexperienced.

I really want Pierson-El to get this job. Looks like he can be a game-changer. But I think Westerkamp is a good "hands" guy for when we just need to secure the ball. Similar to Burkhead a few years ago.

Quick question. I agree he got many that should have been let go for a possible touchback, but what is the rule of thumb to let it go? If we continue to allow 5-7 guys to get there undeterred, it seems like they could down the punt easily as well.

Quick question. I agree he got many that should have been let go for a possible touchback, but what is the rule of thumb to let it go? If we continue to allow 5-7 guys to get there undeterred, it seems like they could down the punt easily as well.

It always used to be don't catch it inside the 10 but I don't think that's the case anymore. Punters are getting a lot better at landing it inside the 10 to be downed that I see a lot of teams catching punts between the 10 and the 5. It's basically a coin flip on a ball that lands at about the 5 whether it will go into the end zone or die inside the five and that's if the punt coverage doesn't catch it on the fly.

I miss the days when a player like Dejuan Groce was back there with the green light to take off after catching punts. And he had the talent to just go off and change field position in a hurry.

Saw a practice report that there is definitely a different scheme and mindset in place as far as blocking punts and punt returns. Aggressive was the word used. They won't go into specifics but hopefully there is improvement in that area - not that that's a particularly high bar to get over.

Thank you for passing this on. It's encouraging and good to hear that.

I miss the days when a player like Dejuan Groce was back there with the green light to take off after catching punts. And he had the talent to just go off and change field position in a hurry.

I'm not going to judge any player we have had back there the last couple of years. When there is zero blocking at the LOS and opposing players are basically in your face when the ball gets to you, it is a recipe for disaster. Give these guys more blocking to slow players down at the LOS and see what happens.