Special Teams Work

That's great we have guys working of fair catches, any twitter talk of installing a punt return scheme this year?

They have one. Its the punt fake coverage. The returner only has to beat 10 guys to make it to his blockers. Who are still waiting for the fake even after the punt coverage team has ran by them.

The other team will never see it coming.

On Saturday, the competition had a little extra spice with it, with both kickers taking turns trying field goals ranging from 37 to 55 yards with the entire team circled around them, heckling them.

With senior running back Ameer Abdullah right in his ear, Brown hit on four-of-five kicks, with his miss coming from 44. Bondi hit on 3-of-5, with misses coming from 45 and 50-plus. But the veteran showed off his strong leg, easily clearing the bar on a 55 yard make.
"When we start game week ... we'll probably name how we're going to do it," Pelini said. "It's really close right now. They've actually both hit the ball pretty good, pretty consistently and solid. So let the competition play out. It's pretty neck-and-neck right now."

LJS

Saw a practice report that there is definitely a different scheme and mindset in place as far as blocking punts and punt returns. Aggressive was the word used. They won't go into specifics but hopefully there is improvement in that area - not that that's a particularly high bar to get over.

• Fire 1

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/News-and-notes-from-Nebraskas-Wednesday-practice-30455555

— Nebraska was still without long snapper Gabriel Miller. Pelini said he feels good about what he’s seen from special teams thus far. “I feel good about our long snapping. It’s getting better. We have good options there. I feel comfortable with what we’re doing.”

As for Miller, Pelini said things look doubtful for him playing in the season opener. “If I had a crystal ball I would tell you, but right now, we’re not counting on him,” Pelini said.

Punts and kicks could be an adventure against FAU. Wouldn't you just bull rush the center if you were FAU?

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/News-and-notes-from-Nebraskas-Wednesday-practice-30455555

— Nebraska was still without long snapper Gabriel Miller. Pelini said he feels good about what he’s seen from special teams thus far. “I feel good about our long snapping. It’s getting better. We have good options there. I feel comfortable with what we’re doing.”

As for Miller, Pelini said things look doubtful for him playing in the season opener. “If I had a crystal ball I would tell you, but right now, we’re not counting on him,” Pelini said.

Punts and kicks could be an adventure against FAU. Wouldn't you just bull rush the center if you were FAU?

I seem to remember that being against the rules.

You aren't allowed to jump over the front wall, I'm saying just send three guys up the gut against a small center like Banderas or Gerry who have been taking reps to fill in. You can still leap over unoccupied gaps apparently according to the rules.

Leverage, Leaping and Landing
ARTICLE 11. a. No defensive player, in an attempt to gain an advantage, may
step, jump or stand on an opponent (See also Rule 9-3-5-b).
b. No defensive player who runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and
leaps from beyond the neutral zone in an obvious attempt to block a field
goal or try may land on any player(s).
1. It is not a foul if the player was aligned in a stationary position within
one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.
2. It is not a foul if the player leaps from in or behind the neutral zone.
3. It is not a foul if an offensive player initiates contact against the player
who leaps.
c. No defensive player who is inside the tackle box may try to block a punt by
leaving his feet in an attempt to leap directly over an opponent.
1. It is not a foul if the player tries to block the punt by jumping straight up
without attempting to leap over the opponent.
2. It is not a foul if a player attempts to leap through or over the gap between
players.