Injuries and Expectations

tschu

Defensive Losses: 2014 Expectations and Coaching  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We lost an all American offensive linemen and our starting QB last year, and still managed to go 9-4 so that still has to be the minimal expectation right?

With our schedule how can it get worse? I just don't see 4 losses in the first place. Granted, that excludes a bowl game.

I've come to a conclusion since yesterday. I wasn't worried when LA got suspended because of the emergence (depending how you look at it) of Cockrell, K Williams, Kalu. Then Rose gets hurt and I at first reaction decided to dump all my kool aid. He was one of my key's to telling people around me how good we would be defensively. Then I forget about some of the depth we have there too. I wasn't particularly excited about relying solely on Bando, but we have bodies to play there. Especially considering how tough our DL is supposed to be...key word: supposed. If the DL, particularly the DT's are as nasty as advertised, we can put Tschu's grandma or wife/gf/fiancee and they would do adequate job.

The key to having REALLY good LB's is to have REALLY good DT's. It's why we see some LB's in the SEC be great in college but don't get drafted very high in the NFL...they have DT's that are making them look good.

I agree that injuries are part of the deal. I think we have better depth now so that helps mitigate the damage. And we have some time to get other guys up to speed, as opposed to losing people min-conference schedule. Doesn't really change my expectations W-L wise.

I'd feel a little better if the losses were a little more spread out, i.e., not all expected starters on defense. I think we have some depth so our starters should be OK but we're getting pretty thin coming off the bench now. At least, we don't know what we have coming off the bench because other than DT we don't have really any backups that have played.

Hopefully we've had our share for the season in the firs week.

To some, hanging your heads and whimpering your way to a mediocre season is perfectly acceptable. Let's just hope the coaching staff and team leaders don't carry this attitude.

Are you referring to players, coaches, or fans? Because fans can whimper all we want; it's not going to affect the results on the field. Players and coaches not so much.

All three, I guess. Anyone who carries that attitude. As for the bold, yep, that's what I'm saying.

I guess it depends on what your expectations initially were. I had already accounted for us not having an adversity-free year. It's just not going to happen - ever, and admittedly I have my doubts about Bo's ability to overcome adversity. I'm not trying to be harsh here, I think those doubts are reasonable based on our current streak of lackluster seasons. My expectations remain. 4 losses - no championships.

However, if a couple injuries doesn't change Pelini's expectation of winning a championship, I think that's still out there for him. If a couple injuries doesn't change the Blackshirts' expectation of a top ten defense, that's still out there for them. We shall see.

@HuskerExtraBC: Adam Taylor went down with a leg injury. Pelini didn't know any particulars about it right after practice. #Huskers

@HuskerExtraBC: Tommy Armstrong left #Husker practice early. Walked off on own power. "Tommy will be fine. He just got dinged a little bit," Bo said.

@HuskerExtraBR: Plus, the note from @HuskerExtraBC on Tommy Armstrong getting dinged. Looked a little woozy.

@HuskerExtraBC: Adam Taylor went down with a leg injury. Pelini didn't know any particulars about it right after practice. #Huskers

@HuskerExtraBC: Tommy Armstrong left #Husker practice early. Walked off on own power. "Tommy will be fine. He just got dinged a little bit," Bo said.

@HuskerExtraBR: Plus, the note from @HuskerExtraBC on Tommy Armstrong getting dinged. Looked a little woozy.

Uhhh.....guys?

What the...

What pisses me off more than losing these three top contributors is that this just starts to pad the excuse list. It seems for the last few years there is a rather large faction of fans always willing to relieve Bo and staff of any responsibility for what happens on the field. This has to end. All teams have player loses and injuries. They are not an excuse for subpar performance. Sure it sucks but big boys nut up and do what needs to be done. Based on our schedule and where this program should be at this point in time, more than two losses will be met with serious questions from this fan.

• Fire 4

Guys, the reason we're seeing players get dinged and hurt all of a sudden is because fall camp just started.

When that happens, injuries happen. No need to panic. There's an entire camp ahead to deal with them, and this is something every team has to deal with yearly (for example: hasn't Miami been taking a lot of hits, including at starting QB, before their fall camp even started?) Not that some of the losses won't be tough.

• Fire 2

What pisses me off more than losing these three top contributors is that this just starts to pad the excuse list. It seems for the last few years there is a rather large faction of fans always willing to relieve Bo and staff of any responsibility for what happens on the field. This has to end. All teams have player loses and injuries. They are not an excuse for subpar performance. Sure it sucks but big boys nut up and do what needs to be done. Based on our schedule and where this program should be at this point in time, more than two losses will be met with serious questions from this fan.

....and you are going to do what about it????

Any time you lose a starter the level of play is going to decrease. They are a starter because believe it or not, they are better than their backup. I know, weird, right? Just because you have bodies to throw out there doesn't mean they will be able to play up the level of the guy that was injured. Losing almost 30% of your projected starters, especially one at MLB which is one of the more important positions on the field is going to hurt...bad.

Any time you lose a starter the level of play is going to decrease. They are a starter because believe it or not, they are better than their backup. I know, weird, right? Just because you have bodies to throw out there doesn't mean they will be able to play up the level of the guy that was injured. Losing almost 30% of your projected starters, especially one at MLB which is one of the more important positions on the field is going to hurt...bad.

This is understood but not always is the level of play a severe drop off. The tone here seems to be a bit desperate and hurried. Like I have said earlier. Great DT play makes great LB's even if they aren't as talented. Seriously.

This is understood but not always is the level of play a severe drop off. The tone here seems to be a bit desperate and hurried. Like I have said earlier. Great DT play makes great LB's even if they aren't as talented. Seriously.

Communication between MLB and the rest of the defense are vital to Bo defenses succeeding. He has said as much. If you have someone in there not making the correct calls at the line of scrimmage, it could be very detrimental. That's where Rose had Banderas beat, the mental part of the game, which is why the defense played better down the stretch last season.