Walk-Ons Receiving Scholarships

Mavric

Part of the "qb glut" is that we hedged our bet with Bush because Darlington got concussed. Darlington is already sans green jersey, hedge may not have been necessary. On the plus side it sounds like Bush has the size, arm, and athleticism to really contend down the road. Plus he could easily change positions, as could Dillman. We can't pass on a huge talent like Lamar Jackson, otherwise we'll stand-pat with Dillman for the class.

People need to flat out chill out. The young man is still just about to start his RFr. year, he has only 1 year in college, most on the scout team and not practicing to play in the offense, whereas Fyfe is about to start his RSo. year and has had 2 full years in the program. If Stanton was still 3rd string this time next year then I would be a bit concerned, but not right now.

If so many didn't transfer after their RFr year I would agree with you - but if he's going to go, he'll pull the trigger early so he has more time in another program. If he waits until his RSo year, he'll sit his junior year and only have 1 to play. If he goes, it'll be soon. He'll want 2 years wherever he lands.

(not saying he goes, but wouldn't surprise me. kids want to play right away)

People need to flat out chill out. The young man is still just about to start his RFr. year, he has only 1 year in college, most on the scout team and not practicing to play in the offense, whereas Fyfe is about to start his RSo. year and has had 2 full years in the program. If Stanton was still 3rd string this time next year then I would be a bit concerned, but not right now.

If so many didn't transfer after their RFr year I would agree with you - but if he's going to go, he'll pull the trigger early so he has more time in another program. If he waits until his RSo year, he'll sit his junior year and only have 1 to play. If he goes, it'll be soon. He'll want 2 years wherever he lands.

(not saying he goes, but wouldn't surprise me. kids want to play right away)

He can get that by transferring next year at this time. If he is almost through Fall Camp as a RSo. and sees that he isn't higher than 3rd, then he can pull a Aaron Curry and use his upcoming RSo. year as his sit out year and have 2 years to play still.

He can get that by transferring next year at this time. If he is almost through Fall Camp as a RSo. and sees that he isn't higher than 3rd, then he can pull a Aaron Curry and use his upcoming RSo. year as his sit out year and have 2 years to play still.

Gotcha. I figured once you started fall camp you were done. What's the cut-off date. Is it when you officially start a class?

Gotcha. I figured once you started fall camp you were done. What's the cut-off date. Is it when you officially start a class?

I would think so, as that is when the team can go above the 105.

The timing of transferring to another school is basically the start of classes. The football player will want to leave their former school before classes start, so he can start his "transfer" clock of sitting out one academic year. UNL starts classes for Fall 2014 next Monday, August 25th. That player will also want to transfer to his new school before their academic year starts, so he can take part in their fall practices. For schools that use semesters (like NU) that Fall semester will begin this week or next week. Some schools will use "quarters" for their academic year, and their Fall quarter won't start until mid-to-late September. I remember when Richie Incognito was kicked off NU late in Fall Camp, his transfer options were limited because school had started for most colleges. He decided to transfer to Oregon, since their Fall Quarter started in late September. Of course, Richie didn't last long when he got to Eugene.

• Fire 1

I love it when people complain when there aren't enough scholarship QBs on the roster (like when TMart was a junior and Kellogg was his backup) and now there are comments/complaints about having too many QBs on the roster.

Why do you love that?

It's a figure of speech.

It's a weird one since it's pretty common sense that too little and too much of one thing are both equally bad.

Yeah, but who says what is the "magic" number? I was just commenting that people just like to bitch about things, no matter what they are.

Position depth can change in the blink of an eye. A position that has "too many" scholarship players can go to a "thin" position with an injury or transfer.

If the interweb message boards were alive in 1994, I am sure the people would have been freaking out when Osborne was "stupid to not have enough scholarship QB's" when little walk-on Matt Turman had to start against Kansas State after Frazier and Berringer were injured.

• Fire 1

Part of the "qb glut" is that we hedged our bet with Bush because Darlington got concussed. Darlington is already sans green jersey, hedge may not have been necessary. On the plus side it sounds like Bush has the size, arm, and athleticism to really contend down the road. Plus he could easily change positions, as could Dillman. We can't pass on a huge talent like Lamar Jackson, otherwise we'll stand-pat with Dillman for the class.

Agree.

Keep in mind, we have 2 scholarship QBs available this year. 6 isn't a bad number to begin with, because it's such a position of importance and attrition often happens at this position. I don't think that's too much. However, I do think we're in enough need of layering the spot with more bodies to not have one available for Fyfe yet. That may discourage or make it harder to get to the depth we need.

Stanton tore an ACL his senior year, Darlington had concussion issues, Dillman is going to miss his senior year. QB depth, currently, is not the most solid thing in the world so there's no two ways about it: we want to pull another QB in this class, if we can. A good one.

The timing of transferring to another school is basically the start of classes. The football player will want to leave their former school before classes start, so he can start his "transfer" clock of sitting out one academic year. UNL starts classes for Fall 2014 next Monday, August 25th. That player will also want to transfer to his new school before their academic year starts, so he can take part in their fall practices. For schools that use semesters (like NU) that Fall semester will begin this week or next week. Some schools will use "quarters" for their academic year, and their Fall quarter won't start until mid-to-late September. I remember when Richie Incognito was kicked off NU late in Fall Camp, his transfer options were limited because school had started for most colleges. He decided to transfer to Oregon, since their Fall Quarter started in late September. Of course, Richie didn't last long when he got to Eugene.

Keep in mind that the transfer rules are ridiculously complicated. That's why NU and OU compliance departments are both involved and need some time to make sure everything is correct with Curry's transfer. And a player can partition the NCAA for a waiver on just about any of the transfer rules (not sure of the success rate of these waivers). So while I think ColoradoHusk has the main ideas in his post, that's not the only way for these things to happen.

Keep in mind that the transfer rules are ridiculously complicated. That's why NU and OU compliance departments are both involved and need some time to make sure everything is correct with Curry's transfer. And a player can partition the NCAA for a waiver on just about any of the transfer rules (not sure of the success rate of these waivers). So while I think ColoradoHusk has the main ideas in his post, that's not the only way for these things to happen.

Agreed, Red. I was putting my general knowledge of the subject out there for some clarification. There are always complexities with transfers, and they vary by situation. Some players will be given the release of their scholarship and the former school will allow them to transfer anywhere. Some players will be given only "partial" release of their scholarship, and their transfer opportunities are limited.

Burtch, Foltz and Reilly have been announced as being awarded scholarships.

No Roach or was he already on?

Anyone know how many were open to give to walk ons?

I thought Roach was a shoo-in as well. We have five spots left. Not sure if there will be more announcements or what. Possibly Walton not using a scholarship this fall - not sure how that will count yet - might open up another one so they're waiting to announce the others. ????