Pat Forde's top 3 coaches on the hot seat

Okay. Sorry folks, it's not time to right this thing.

Keep up the good work Bo!

No sh#t. I feel like those students in The Wall walking into the brain washing machine. Lots of folks hereabouts with low standards and shooting at targets well below "excellence". In a sick sort of way maybe they're right......they'll probably get what they want while the rest of us continue to desire more, like championships, big victories, national relevance, etc. It's so tough to get to nine wins when you're spotted the first seven, apparently. Go ahead, strive for mediocrity and celebrate it when you achieve it. Here's your participation ribbon.

+1

so 50% have him on the hot seat? that seems like a lot.

So you can choose to listen to the media (who have already been proven wrong once).....or you can choose to take the word of the AD.....and this has been addressed by the AD as recently as last week........#unfoundedspeculation

Nebraska has been more patient with Bo Pelini than many, many schools are with head coaches.

Please tell me exactly how many schools have had to put up with a coach only winning 70% of their games?

how many other schools have our tradition, resources, facilities, and dedicated fanbase?

off of the top of my head....Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Oklahoma, USC, and maybe a couple others that I'm missing as I type. Outside of retirement, NCAA violations, or subsequent failure of the new hire (e.g. Tennessee & Michigan & Nebraska for that matter), none of these teams replaced a coach with at least a 70% winning percentage and got better.

Let's look at that list of "off the top of your head" comparisons and their current (or in the case of Texas most recent head coach - who was fired, BTW)

Texas: Last won conference in 2009, had multiple conference championships, BCS appearances and a national title.

Michigan: BCS bowl 2012

Notre Dame: BCS title game in 2012

Ohio State: BCS game in 2013

Alabama: Multiple National and Conference Championships

Florida: BCS Bowl 2012

Tennessee: Can't fire a 9 win coach when you don't have a 9 win coach. Poor comparison.

Oklahoma: Multiple conference championships, a national title, many BCS appearances included the most recent just last season.

USC: Lane Kiffin was fired with a 65% winning percentage of 28-15. Not exactly 70%, but not 40% either.

If you want to compare Bo with all those other coaches, be sure you compare the entirety of his resume. Yes, he's 57-24 at Nebraska (not counting 2003 Alamo Bowl), but he's won 0 conference championships and been in 0 BCS bowls. So as far as being compared to the other coaches on the list, the only one he compares to is Lane Kiffin. I would even allow comparisons to Brady Hoke, despite his BCS appearance. Hoke's winning percentage? 67%, and he's on a VERY hot seat, though having the AD who hired him still in charge definitely helps him.

Additionally, Bo's experience at Nebraska (7 years) is longer than all the other coaches on that list, other than Stoops and Saban. Yet his list of accomplishments on the field is shorter than most.

• Fire 7

Okay. Sorry folks, it's not time to right this thing.

Keep up the good work Bo!

No sh#t. I feel like those students in The Wall walking into the brain washing machine. Lots of folks hereabouts with low standards and shooting at targets well below "excellence". In a sick sort of way maybe they're right......they'll probably get what they want while the rest of us continue to desire more, like championships, big victories, national relevance, etc. It's so tough to get to nine wins when you're spotted the first seven, apparently. Go ahead, strive for mediocrity and celebrate it when you achieve it. Here's your participation ribbon.

Nebraska played 8 home games last year. 8. And needed a hail mary and a 99 yard fluke TD pass in the bowl game to get to 9 wins.

• Fire 1

Nebraska has been more patient with Bo Pelini than many, many schools are with head coaches.

Please tell me exactly how many schools have had to put up with a coach only winning 70% of their games?

how many other schools have our tradition, resources, facilities, and dedicated fanbase?

off of the top of my head....Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Oklahoma, USC, and maybe a couple others that I'm missing as I type. Outside of retirement, NCAA violations, or subsequent failure of the new hire (e.g. Tennessee & Michigan & Nebraska for that matter), none of these teams replaced a coach with at least a 70% winning percentage and got better.

Let's look at that list of "off the top of your head" comparisons and their current (or in the case of Texas most recent head coach - who was fired, BTW)

Texas won conference in 2009

Michigan: BCS bowl 2012

Notre Dame: BCS title game in 2012

Ohio State: BCS game in 2013

Alabama: Multiple National and Conference Championships

Florida: BCS Bowl 2012

Tennessee: Can't fire a 9 win coach when you don't have a 9 win coach. Poor comparison.

Oklahoma: Multiple conference championships, a national title, many BCS appearances included the most recent just last season.

USC: Lane Kiffin was fired with a 65% winning percentage of 28-15. Not exactly 70%, but not 40% either.

If you want to compare Bo with all those other coaches, be sure you compare the entirety of his resume. Yes, he's 57-24 at Nebraska (not counting 2003 Alamo Bowl), but he's won 0 conference championships and been in 0 BCS bowls. So as far as being compared to the other coaches on the list, the only one he compares to is Lane Kiffin. I would even allow comparisons to Brady Hoke, despite his BCS appearance. Hoke's winning percentage? 67%, and he's on a VERY hot seat, though having the AD who hired him still in charge definitely helps him.

Additionally, Bo's experience at Nebraska (7 years) is longer than all the other coaches on that list, other than Stoops and Saban. Yet his list of accomplishments on the field is shorter than most.

You might want to re-read the post you responded to. It wasn't comparing Pelini to other coaches. He was asked how many schools have our "tradition, resources, facilities, and dedicated fanbase".

Lots of folks hereabouts with low standards and shooting at targets well below "excellence".

Seriously? Come on, man.......

I'm surprised that some would find this controversial.

Nothing about it is controversial. It's silly. Is there a single poster on here who doesn't want us to win every single game we play?

You might want to re-read the post you responded to. It wasn't comparing Pelini to other coaches. He was asked how many schools have our "tradition, resources, facilities, and dedicated fanbase".

I did misread this part: "none of these teams replaced a coach with at least a 70% winning percentage and got better."

#onemoreyear

Man. 2015 is going to be great. It's all set up perfectly.

Nah, there will be an injury to someone in 2015. And in 2016 the schedule isn't fair, what with playing at OSU and Wisconsin in back to back weeks? Obvs the Big Ten hates us and is plotting against us. By 2017 Armstrong will be graduated and we'll be breaking in a new QB. So... 2018?

• Fire 3

#onemoreyear

Man. 2015 is going to be great. It's all set up perfectly.

Nah, there will be an injury to someone in 2015. And in 2016 the schedule isn't fair, what with playing at OSU and Wisconsin in back to back weeks? Obvs the Big Ten hates us and is plotting against us. By 2017 Armstrong will be graduated and we'll be breaking in a new QB. So... 2018?

Exactly. There is always a reason you can point to to justify a less than desirable season.

parting thoughts for this thread: be critical of the media, not the coach (especially when the media expects more from your program than the coach has proven capable of).

I guess I'm not as moved by the opinions of outsiders as some.

But do you hold the opinions of the pro Bo outsiders in the same regards or higher than the anti Bo or anti Nebraska outsiders?

So you can choose to listen to the media (who have already been proven wrong once).....or you can choose to take the word of the AD.....and this has been addressed by the AD as recently as last week........#unfoundedspeculation

i think you guys are confused as to the role of the media and their interests. i do not think they really care if bo stays or goes. and i do not think any of them are actually "pro bo" or "anti bo" or "anti nebraska".

and as for the word of the AD, i will take that with a grain of salt. obviously bo will not be fired this year and obviously the ad has pr considerations in every statement he makes. but we will have to wait to the end of the season to see where the ad is at.

but you guys are probably right. bo will be here for a long while seeing how it would be near impossible to get less than 9 wins with our schedule. as for the rest of the games, who cares?

• Fire 1

I did misread this part: "none of these teams replaced a coach with at least a 70% winning percentage and got better."

Now go back and look at those teams again and tell us which ones fired a coach with a 70% winning percentage and got better.

As far as Texas, MB seen the writing on the wall and retired. My guess is he would have been fired anyways before this year. It will be interesting to see how Charlie Strong does down there and if it takes them long to get back.