Offensive Identity

I don't know if Beck has "reinvented" himself (yet) but I liked what I saw. Really played to our strengths - running the ball early and often, especially AA, and letting TA air it out.

I also thought he went out of his way to try to get some success TA's way and build some confidence. After getting all they way down the field running the ball on the first drive - except for two third and long calls - we got to first and goal on the five. Then he called a pass (which was incomplete) then a QB draw. Seemed to me that he really wanted TA to get the first TD in some way. Thought that was a good idea. Also threw another time from goal-to-go but both times were "easier" throws to the corner instead of needing to thread a needle. And he called several deep throws where TA seems comfortable.

I liked the offense. Only one time I questioned Beck, which it came after a first down and we threw it three straight times.

We also threw it three straight times starting of first down on our second possession (two completions for 15 yards) then ran once for no gain followed by two more passes for 45 yards and a touchdown.

People like to question things that don't work. It doesn't make them a bad decision.

• Fire 1

So, can we call it "Red Storm"? Or maybe just the storm offense?

or....

The "Nebraska" Offense? I know, trend setting right?

I think people want to differentiate the offense NU is running now from other offenses (including previous NU offenses).

Somebody said read-option with vertical passing, and I think that's the most accurate based on one game.

or....

I think people want to differentiate the offense NU is running now from other offenses (including previous NU offenses).

Somebody said read-option with vertical passing, and I think that's the most accurate based on one game.

Why? We didn't create anything new.

I like the Red Storm identity akin to the the Blackshirts could create a really competitive environment very intense in practice.

It's like my favorite basketball team has so much depth and talent their practices are more intense and held at a higher level then 70% of the games scheduled. The practices are more developmental than the game itself.

or....

Why? We didn't create anything new.

I didn't say it was new. But it is different than say the west coast or the flexbone offenses. People are just looking to categorize the offense.

Beck said Tommy Armstrong’s motioning of the I-back from the pistol formation is sometimes a read, sometimes it’s just part of the play call. Making those reads is something Armstrong would have been capable doing last season Beck said, but it’s a new aspect of the offense they installed during the offseason

http://hailvarsity.com/2014/09/huskers-turn-focus-to-mcneese-state/

• Fire 1

Beck said he called the "power" running play about 15 times against Florida Atlantic. And the zone read? They ran that around 30 times, he said. "They just knew what to do."

Again, it's one game. But out of the 92 plays we ran, basically half of them were these two.

And I think this has been closer to the case than many realize for some time now.

Also were we under center once today? I didn't notice one.

Nebraska is officially a spread offense - the Huskers ran just 5 plays under center against FAU. Everything else was pistol or shotgun.

No disrespect to Dan, but I disagree 100%. Pistol can be used as a power formation, and that's exactly how we've done it. Just because the QB doesn't have his hands in the center, it does not mean spread.

498 rush yards. 'Nough said.

Also were we under center once today? I didn't notice one.

Nebraska is officially a spread offense - the Huskers ran just 5 plays under center against FAU. Everything else was pistol or shotgun.

No disrespect to Dan, but I disagree 100%. Pistol can be used as a power formation, and that's exactly how we've done it. Just because the QB doesn't have his hands in the center, it does not mean spread.

498 rush yards. 'Nough said.

We lined up quite a few times in the pistol, with tight ends and receivers set up as the old ACE set TO and Solich used to use. Only difference was QB was 3-4 yards behind center rather than under.