Isn't It Nice to Be Concerned About Rankings Again?

At this point it's not much different than any other recent year under Pelini. We start out ranked, finished unranked.

Considering this has never happened, I'm inclined to disagree.

you've completely removed 2013 from your mind... :)

Unless I'm getting bad data (going off a combination of Huskermax/ESPN)

and 2011/2012 were pretty much unranked finishes. something around 25th both seasons? Edit: looked it up, 24th in 2011, 25th in 2012.

2013 Final USA Today Poll

At this point it's not much different than any other recent year under Pelini. We start out ranked, finished unranked.

Considering this has never happened, I'm inclined to disagree.

you've completely removed 2013 from your mind... :)

Unless I'm getting bad data (going off a combination of Huskermax/ESPN)

and 2011/2012 were pretty much unranked finishes. something around 25th both seasons? Edit: looked it up, 24th in 2011, 25th in 2012.

2013 Final USA Today Poll

So finished unranked in every poll except the USA Today Poll? :P

Seems a silly distinction. The point is that under Pelini we've never ended a season with a high ranking. What was the best? 2009 at #14? Something like that IIRC.

But anyways . . . let's get back to talking about why the season was successful because we ended at #25 in one poll instead of #26 or lower.

• Fire 3

such a pyrrhic victory. yes, kchusker was wrong (although i think his overall point was that we usually start better than we finish, which is not good). but for the defenders to prove their point, they have to post pretty bad finishes as support for a meaningless argument; which ultimately weakens their position.

• Fire 3

such a pyrrhic victory. yes, kchusker was wrong (although i think his overall point was that we usually start better than we finish, which is not good). but for the defenders to prove their point, they have to post pretty bad finishes as support for a meaningless argument; which ultimately weakens their position.

Something about forests and trees, I think.

So claiming we have finished unranked ever since Bo got here and then when shown when that wasn't true, you change it to...""pretty much unranked".

Either you are ranked or not. Man...just admit you were wrong and move on.

I said recent seasons...so last 3 was what I was getting at if you want to be so specific - and was looking at AP poll for last year when I said it so used that one (assumed it was what we were discussing here - no one specified). Which means Mav was equally as wrong in his proclamation. I forgot that you have to spend an hour or two researching before posting something on Huskerboard - because heaven forbid their ranked 1 place higher you'll have 10 pages of posts berate you.

Point is, every season recently we've started out ranked decently and then tanked into unranked territory - either mid season or end of season. Last season no one though we'd be ranked anywhere (coaches saved us) - and the prior season we were just as lucky to finish ranked (last ranked available) - same with prior season (2nd to last ranking available). Not exactly a trend that supports any sort of excitement for our rankings after 1 positive game against a terrible team.

Not even four days after a pretty fun win and we're back to this crap again. With the same people slinging mud.

Not slinging mud, go through my half dozen posts since the game. Just don't see why we need a thread proclaiming how great it is to talk about our ranking again - as if we're back again. The ranking after week one is pretty meaningless, as are the rankings of most every other team.

Not even four days after a pretty fun win and we're back to this crap again. With the same people slinging mud.

Not slinging mud, go through my half dozen posts since the game. Just don't see why we need a thread proclaiming how great it is to talk about our ranking again - as if we're back again. The ranking after week one is pretty meaningless, as are the rankings of most every other team.

i agree that it is weird to care so much about rankings. we have a good looking team against, what appears to be, a pretty soft schedule. we should worry about the very real possibility of winning the big 10 before anything else matters. it is pretty hard to care about rankings. it would be awesome to be a top ten team again, but all that matters is winning. everything else will take care of itself.

• Fire 2

The OP made an observation that it was nice to take notice of rankings again. No more, no less. Then out comes the usual suspects who have a genetic imperative to shoot down anyone who says anything that might be deigned optimistic. The OP did not say, hey we're back and a NC is around the corner! It was just a simple expression of an observation.

I absolutely dispise group think in any form, and the automatic dismissal of people like the OP is group think at its worst. I would say the same thing for chronic sunshine pumpers as well.

• Fire 2