Isn't It Nice to Be Concerned About Rankings Again?

i think the problem was that kchusker made a pretty good point and everyone jumped down his throat for getting a detail wrong. and by pointing out the reality of the situation (while also pretty much proving kc's point), everyone became depressed at our recent season finishes. forgive us for being a little cautious and being more concerned with wins and losses than rankings. especially when so many people disparage the ranking system anyway.

I absolutely dispise group think in any form, and the automatic dismissal of people like the OP is group think at its worst. I would say the same thing for chronic sunshine pumpers as well.

because you don't agree w/ the thought?

pot-and-kettke.jpg

I downgrade you three stars for poor reach and break wind in your general direction. I automatically dismiss group think of any kind (kinda what my post stated), yours included.

Not even four days after a pretty fun win and we're back to this crap again. With the same people slinging mud.

Not slinging mud, go through my half dozen posts since the game. Just don't see why we need a thread proclaiming how great it is to talk about our ranking again - as if we're back again. The ranking after week one is pretty meaningless, as are the rankings of most every other team.

i agree that it is weird to care so much about rankings. we have a good looking team against, what appears to be, a pretty soft schedule. we should worry about the very real possibility of winning the big 10 before anything else matters. it is pretty hard to care about rankings. it would be awesome to be a top ten team again, but all that matters is winning. everything else will take care of itself.

+1

I said recent seasons...so last 3 was what I was getting at if you want to be so specific - and was looking at AP poll for last year when I said it so used that one (assumed it was what we were discussing here - no one specified). Which means Mav was equally as wrong in his proclamation. I forgot that you have to spend an hour or two researching before posting something on Huskerboard - because heaven forbid their ranked 1 place higher you'll have 10 pages of posts berate you.

So now one season = any other recent season?

I said recent seasons...so last 3 was what I was getting at if you want to be so specific - and was looking at AP poll for last year when I said it so used that one (assumed it was what we were discussing here - no one specified). Which means Mav was equally as wrong in his proclamation. I forgot that you have to spend an hour or two researching before posting something on Huskerboard - because heaven forbid their ranked 1 place higher you'll have 10 pages of posts berate you.

So now one season = any other recent season?

like I said, my apologies for not researching every poll, for every season and coming in w/ a spreadsheet. I should have said "last season" - I lumped our uninspiring 24th and 25th ranked seasons with it which obviously invalidated the entire point that I'm not too concerned with our rankings right now because our week 1 rankings are rarely a reflection of our final rankings. We'll see how it plays out. I'm feeling pretty good about where this one is going - but as I said weeks ago...I'm not making any decisions one way or another on this team until we're 5-6 weeks into the season.

We won a game, a game that means absolutely nothing. It is a win to start the season. Did we look good, yes, but don't you think 50 of the top teams would have looked good to.

Not negative, but getting tired of this attitude. The program needs to win big games, that are important to everyone, not just rabid Nebraska fans. We do not play one until Michigan State. We lose that game, it matters, and a hell of a lot. Beating FAU means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Do you think anyone but Tom Osborne on the selection staff actually looked at the game, or even considered looking at the game.

This type of game needs to go away, and quickly. Other top programs open with real games. We need to stop the Bill Snyder approach.

The only time ranking is important now is in December.

How many years did we not play "anyone" until Oklahoma?