Tim Beck comments from the Big Red Breakfast

knapplc

Quite a few questions answered from last week's game, and prep heading into McNeese State.

LINK

Beck said they're not expecting to see a letdown after the big offensive performance last week. The guys have practiced well, and they're self-policing:

Beck doesn't sense the Huskers are resting on their laurels at all this week after a successful opener and an FCS team on the schedule.

The coach mentioned a play in practice where right tackle Givens Price allowed pressure to get to Tommy Armstrong. The QB didn't like it.

"He looked at Givens and he said, Get him out of my face…. (Price) kind of came back to the line of scrimmage, and Jake Cotton kind of got him…. They were harder on him than I was going to be on him. … That’s how hard (they’re working) and the perfection they’re striving for.”

Beck said they gave a lot of carries to Newby last week because they wanted to see how he'd react to the workload. They know what they have in Imani Cross, which is why he got fewer carries. Expect more from Cross this week.

Also, no more QB rotation. They wanted Kellogg's veteran leadership out there at times last year, but this year it's Tommy's team, 100%.

LINK

One of the differences between Tommy Armstrong this year: He's able to read defenses more accurately, before the snap and just after. Beck said Armstrong can anticipate coverages better when he surveys the defense prior to the snap. Thus his "initial read" is often open -- and when it's not, Armstrong has a better idea of where to go with the football. That was not the case last season, according to Beck.

Of McNeese State, Beck noted their resume and several of their talented players. He said, "They have our attention."

• Fire 5

It just feels like a major upgrade in player leadership. I know we had tons of youth on the field last year, but it feels like it was just a major insertion of better overall leadership and accountability. I'm one of them guys that thinks that talent is much more than just speed and strength. There's so much IQ and mentality involved as well. And when we say we've upgraded the talent the last couple recruiting cycles, I believe those intangibles come along with it.

• Fire 4

And as far as the qb rotation goes, I guess i'm one that never understood the point other than giving our 5th year, walkon senior a chance over the freshman. And i'm not gettin into this "Kellogg saved northwestern game" cuz Tommy coulda made that throw just as easily as Ron did. I just never really saw anything that suggested there was something that Ron offered that Tommy couldnt do. If anything, I thought it hampered us a little cuz the qb run game was all but eliminated and the key on Ameer went through the roof. I think Tommy knowing it's his from go this year has also been a major instrument of motivation through the offseason. It's a totally different mindset when you go into a season #1 as opposed to #2.

I am loving the fire of Armstrong. Great to see, hear and read about.

I remember being pretty fired up after hearing Chase Rome talk about what he was going to do for the Husker defense and how he wanted to earn it on the field and be a leader and all. That of course did not materialize.

I also remember hearing some of the same comments from Tommy when he was recruited. Good to see that he is walking the walk. He is a very confident kid and obviously has a strong desire for success on the individual level that translates to success for the entire team.

As for the Northwestern game, I don't view Kellogg as having saved the game. Glad he threw it. Glad Westerkamp caught it. But I also know that when you count on a hail mary to win.... more often than not, you LOSE.

• Fire 1

It just feels like a major upgrade in player leadership. I know we had tons of youth on the field last year, but it feels like it was just a major insertion of better overall leadership and accountability. I'm one of them guys that thinks that talent is much more than just speed and strength. There's so much IQ and mentality involved as well. And when we say we've upgraded the talent the last couple recruiting cycles, I believe those intangibles come along with it.

Couldn't agree more. You know ever since you ditched Accountability, this team picked up a major dose of it. Strong leadership. I hope it continues.

• Fire 1

Couldn't agree more. You know ever since you ditched Accountability, this team picked up a major dose of it. Strong leadership. I hope it continues.

I gave it to them. Take one for the team you guise..

• Fire 1

And as far as the qb rotation goes, I guess i'm one that never understood the point other than giving our 5th year, walkon senior a chance over the freshman. And i'm not gettin into this "Kellogg saved northwestern game" cuz Tommy coulda made that throw just as easily as Ron did. I just never really saw anything that suggested there was something that Ron offered that Tommy couldnt do. If anything, I thought it hampered us a little cuz the qb run game was all but eliminated and the key on Ameer went through the roof. I think Tommy knowing it's his from go this year has also been a major instrument of motivation through the offseason. It's a totally different mindset when you go into a season #1 as opposed to #2.

As much as we both wanted Armstrong to get as much time as he could just to eliminate some of the hiccups, I am glad Kellogg got a bit of a shot. I think maybe the coaches felt Kellogg had earned it.

I don't know if Armstrong's knee played any role in things or not?

Either way by the time the Georgia game came around you could see Tommy was already improving. I thought it was a good sign. If last weekend is any indication of things to come, I think it all worked out in the end.

As much as we both wanted Armstrong to get as much time as he could just to eliminate some of the hiccups, I am glad Kellogg got a bit of a shot. I think maybe the coaches felt Kellogg had earned it.

I don't know if Armstrong's knee played any role in things or not?

Either way by the time the Georgia game came around you could see Tommy was already improving. I thought it was a good sign. If last weekend is any indication of things to come, I think it all worked out in the end.

I agree. I may not have made it clear, but I also thought he deserved a shot, but I'm not one that will admit he was better than Tommy at any point. That's what I was getting at with the bold.

Kellogg had earned it, and he did offer up things that Tommy couldn't.

Forget the hail mary throw - what about the laser to Quincy that would have set up the field goal that Quincy dropped? What about the 4th and 15 to Ameer? That entire drive was all on Ron Kellogg when Tommy had thrown three interceptions and hardly done anything all game.

Whether that was his knee or being a freshman or what nobody knows, but Ron threw the ball better, with more accuracy, and a much better touchdown/interception ratio.

• Fire 1

Tommy was perfectly capable of making them throws. Like I said, in my opinion, I dont think Ron offered up as much more than Tommy as folks think. And when you eliminate the qb run threat in this offense, whatever he did offer up more, is a wash anyway.

Tommy coulda just as easily dumped the ball in the flat to Ameer. He coulda just as easily fire the ball to Enunwa. Obviously Ron was the logical choice at that time because of the situation and Tommy's prior errors, but from an overall standpoint last season, Ron was an equal at best.

Tommy was perfectly capable of making them throws. Like I said, in my opinion, I dont think Ron offered up as much more than Tommy as folks think. And when you eliminate the qb run threat in this offense, whatever he did offer up more, is a wash anyway.

Tommy coulda just as easily dumped the ball in the flat to Ameer. He coulda just as easily fire the ball to Enunwa. Obviously Ron was the logical choice at that time because of the situation and Tommy's prior errors, but from an overall standpoint last season, Ron was an equal at best.

TA couldn't make those throws though. He had a bad habit last year (and some throws against FAU) where he would make bad throws on short and intermediate passes. Do you forget it was an INT from TA that set up what would have been the winning drive for NWU?

Kellogg was the better pure passer last year. If TA was in that last drive I don't think we win that game.

That being said he has shown a lot of improvement in his passing game since then. I hope he continues to improve in order to lead us to the promise land.

TA couldn't make those throws though. He had a bad habit last year (and some throws against FAU) where he would make bad throws on short and intermediate passes. Do you forget it was an INT from TA that set up what would have been the winning drive for NWU?

Kellogg was the better pure passer last year. If TA was in that last drive I don't think we win that game.

That being said he has shown a lot of improvement in his passing game since then. I hope he continues to improve in order to lead us to the promise land.

Tommy may not have made those throws would be a more accurate statement. What I'm saying is he was perfectly capable. We're acting here as if Ron brough some magical skill complete unkownst to Tommy. I think that's bogus. Maybe Ron's seniority allowed him to make a better decision here and there in hindsight, but let's not act like that just because Ron threw a little flat pass to a running back who made a majical scramble for 15 yards, or a 20 yard rifle to a wideout that dropped it, or a 50 yard lob to the endzone, that Tommy was completely incapable of doing the same.

Kellogg had earned it, and he did offer up things that Tommy couldn't.

Forget the hail mary throw - what about the laser to Quincy that would have set up the field goal that Quincy dropped? What about the 4th and 15 to Ameer? That entire drive was all on Ron Kellogg when Tommy had thrown three interceptions and hardly done anything all game.

Whether that was his knee or being a freshman or what nobody knows, but Ron threw the ball better, with more accuracy, and a much better touchdown/interception ratio.

That was all Ameer, man. No doubt about it. Catches an off the mark pass, makes a guy miss, and then runs through another defender and stretches for the first. All to keep the game alive. Any QB could have made that dunk pass, but Ameer made the play. To say that entire drive was all Kellogg is laughable.

I think it goes back to the IQ factor that was mentioned before. Physically, TA was probably more talented, but Ron had 5 years of experience in the system. Ron was more mature and I think the coaches trusted him to make fewer mistakes. I also think TA's struggles last year were partly because he wasn't expecting to be the starting QB. I know you are supposed to prepare like you are the starter, but that is tough to ask a RS freshman with a guy like Taylor coming into his senior year. He had the entire offseason this year to prepare knowing he would be the guy and I think that helped his development.