We didn't respect the game

knapplc

"I hold this ball club to a very high standard. I have a lot of respect for McNeese State, but I feel like we're a much better ball club than McNeese State. We didn't respect the game. McNeese State, they do. They come out, they don't care who they're playing. Those players are very talented, as you can see. But the Nebraska Cornhuskers... starting tomorrow we're going to bring a different attitude."

- Ameer Abdullah, post-game presser

If this team had the heart and guts McNeese State does, I'd pencil us in for Indianapolis right now. What the hell does it take to get that?

Sounds like a coaching issue or the players recruited by the coaches have grown complacent and Nebraska needs a Charlie Strong like roster wipe. As amazing as Ameer is, he can't change a systemic issue.

"I hold this ball club to a very high standard. I have a lot of respect for McNeese State, but I feel like we're a much better ball club than McNeese State. We didn't respect the game. McNeese State, they do. They come out, they don't care who they're playing. Those players are very talented, as you can see. But the Nebraska Cornhuskers... starting tomorrow we're going to bring a different attitude."

If this team had the heart and guts McNeese State does, I'd pencil us in for Indianapolis right now. What the hell does it take to get that?

Sounds like a coaching issue or the players recruited by the coaches have grown complacent and Nebraska needs a Charlie Strong like roster wipe. As amazing as Ameer is, he can't change a systemic issue.

I think there is a lot of heart on the team. Very questionable play calling though. You can't expose the talent if you hold them back. I am just glad Ameer is here for one more season otherwise we might be looking at 1-1 and a very very long season.

Bolded for emphasis.

Yeah, I really think it's the culture. Winning programs have a way. I wouldn't be skeptical of ours if I felt we have been overachieving with what we have had, but it's been more the opposite: not achieving the heights that Nebraska has stated it is aiming for and coming back and defending the record of the (decent) things we have done.

Coaches should be on notice after this game. Multiple players are vocally sick of the "9-4" days and it's time to treat every week as a chance to display the best of what Nebraska can do.

• Fire 5

Multiple players are vocally sick of the "9-4" days and it's time to treat every week as a chance to display the best of what Nebraska can do.

Hopefully those "multiple players" are leaders. Abdullah and J Cotton are both captains......yet one of them showed leadership today and the other did not.

I wish the whole team had more of Ameer's mentality and less of Kenny Bell's.

I sorta kinda gotta +1 this. The mentality needs to change if NEB wants to make it to Indy and win it. Period. I've had these feelings for about a few years now. The mentality on the team is the biggest factor on how this team will succeed this year.
  • Fire 1

I wish the whole team had more of Ameer's mentality and less of Kenny Bell's.

+1

KB leaves it all on the field, you guys. Sure he may get into it on Twitter too much, but I can't agree with questioning his mentality as a player.

I don't think he does, he appears to take plays off and not give 100% all the time.

+1

• Fire 2